1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pegasus plunges 37% on DirecTV subscriber buyout agreement

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by BobMurdoch, Aug 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
  2. mnassour

mnassour Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Bob, with all due respect to you....I'm going to take this opportunity to point out that without that Pegasus/NRTC money that initially helped to launch DirecTV, the company might be two or three years behind where it is now in development. You can even argue that it could have been behind DishNetwork in subscribers with that kind of delay. In fact, DirecTV could have been so weak that the D*/E* merger might have gone through....and Charlie would rule the skies. How does that sound?

That bunch of "weasels" helped finance DirecTV at a critical stage. While you may not like their business practices (and yes, I've been a Pegasus customer), the DBS landscape might have been far, far different without them.

Mike Nassour

3. ClayKY

ClayKY Mentor

Jan 30, 2003
    KY
    It's great that you're thankful for Pegasucks, but why should those that live in "rural" areas be forced to foot the extra bill for everyone else. Thankfully I "moved", maybe you can take my place at the table.

4. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    Mike,

If you ever had to deal with them you would understand our feelings. Bob called them "weasels". I wouldn't have been that kind. They are the most unprofesssional company that I have ever dealt with and really care nothing about customer service. And if Pegasus wouldn't have come along to help DirecTV get started someone else would have. As I remember, there were several companies that were considering investing in DirecTV when it was trying to get started. There were political reason why Pegasus and the NRTC was chosen.

As for your statement that "the company might be two or three years behind where it is now", you got it backwards. DirecTV has NOT been growing as fast as DISH Network because of Pegasus. Once potential customers find out how bad they are to deal with and that they charge an additional fee, they go with DISH or cable. Pegasus may have been good for DirecTV 7 or 8 years ago but in the last few years they have been a real thorn in DirecTV's side.

5. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Poor Customer Service, Higher Prices, Lack of respect for the customer......

If D* customers wanted THAT they could stay with cable.

Yes, they helped out early on with cash, but they have more than made up there investment and continue to treat their customers as if they are entitled to a living. The marketplace rarely lets THAT attitude survive for long.

6. Claude Greiner

Claude Greiner Banned User

Apr 24, 2002
    All I know is that I blew out all 500 shares of of my stock last week when it was selling at $39 per share :D

7. music_beans

music_beans Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2003
    Higher prices is the word. We used to have DirecTV when it was controlled by a nice little company about 6 years ago. Then, Pegasus bought them out, and that is when prices started to spike onward. (like Spike TV in a new day and age)

DISH is a lot better than IN-DirecTV.

8. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    With all due respect, Directv raised rates AFTER Dish Network raised rates on the last go-around, and by a smaller percentage. What does Dish Network have as an excuse for that?

BTW, Pegasus did not buy Directv. They bought the rights to sell Directv to rural customers. Not even remotely the same as a buyout.

I have had both services and have just the opposite opinion as you, but I am not a rural customer. If I had to deal with Pegasus my opinion might be different.

9. bills976

bills976 Godfather/Supporter

Jun 30, 2002
    A Pegasus supporter? How can anyone in good faith support this company given the following:

1) They charge rural subscribers more for the exact same programming - ever heard of their royalty fee?

2) They give no discount on any equipment unless you're willing to lease it... and they only give two equipment options.

3) Their rating with the BBB is unsatisfactory

4) Up until recently, TiVo was not available for purchase in Pegasus territory, and presently one must still have to deal with Directv in order to get Directv DVR service.

I'll give you the fact that the NRTC helped Directv initially start USSB/Directv. However, how does that excuse their deplorable, outright dirty business practices?

10. mnassour

mnassour Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Eyowwww! :eek2: Did I step in everyone's porridge or what? !?!?!?! I guess that after starting something like this, I shouldn't just slink off into the night.... :D

(Warning....long post follows...)

Well, given the subject matter, I shouldn't be too surprised. Let me take these one at a time, once again, with no disrespect intended...

First of all, I am indeed a former Pegasus subscriber. Yes, I had it during the not-so-golden days when we had separate providers for HBO and the regular channels. And yes, I've had the "joy" of running a DirecTivo on Pegasus. The way I managed that is another story in its own right. So on to the major points above...

Bill...I still think that the NRTC/Pegasus money helped DirecTV to a point in those early years to give it that vital jump on DirecTV. I think, and perhaps I'm wrong, that without that money the early years between D* and E* would have been much, much closer. There may indeed have been others who were considering investing in DirecTV. But NRTC/Pegasus had the cash in hand. And yes, in recent years DirecTV has wished Pegasus would just go away. But herein lies my major point...

DirecTV sold its rural customers to Pegasus and the NRTC members for a quick buck at a critical time when the company needed startup money. As we all know, that deal gave Pegasus the right to charge those of us in rural counties more than our urban counterparts. A deal's a deal, folks. All we can do is be glad that it will end. And it may not be "fair" to charge a higher price...but Pegasus has the right to market in its areas and does it as it sees fit. If a customer doesn't like it, there's always Dish. And yes, many have taken that route, but not enough to make up for that two year(?) jump that D* got on E*.

Bob...in the three years I ran Pegasus I never had a service problem. Maybe I'm just lucky, but the CSRs I spoke with never gave me a lick of problems. What can I say...just a different experience. Now if you're complaining about higher prices, hey, you might as well blame DirecTV for signing that original contract with those terms that allowed Pegasus to charge more.

Claude...No, I don't own any Pegasus stock:D. And I'm glad of it!

music_beans...welcome to 21st century America, where the government thinks monopolies are a good thing and the bigger the company the better. Heck, the only reason Charlie didn't get D* is that the cable companies (no monopoly there, eh?) ganged up on his and threw $$$$$ at their servants on BOTH sides of the aisle in Congress.

karl_f...I think music_beans was refering to a buyout where Pegasus bought a NRTC member and then raised the rates.

Bills976...a Pegasus supporter? I think not! :nono: But I do recognize that when a company purchases the exclusive right to distribute a product in a particular area (Hmmm...sounds like SHVIA all of a sudden) that you have to either deal with it or go somewhere else. It's capitalism as practiced in this country today.

They charged those of us who have lived in their areas more simply because they're one more middleman trying to make a buck. They invested in DirecTV and want to get everything they can out of it. The companies many of us here work for would do exactly the same thing to their customers. And the same goes for equipment sales. DirecTV chooses to subsidize new customers, Pegasus doesn't. It's just a business decision.

As for the BBB, that doesn't surprise me. You'd be surprised, though, at the number of otherwise reputable companies on the BBB black list. OTOH, there are a lot of companies NOT on that list that belong there.

Yes indeed, you should always have been able to purchase TiVo for Pegasus use. It's just bloody expensive. A few years ago, we were able to purchase them for a three-month commitment to run them on DirecTV, then "move" to a Pegasus area. Those were the days. One bill to DirecTV for TiVo only, one from Pegasus for service. Hey, that's how I learned about the DirecTV "Special Projects" group, the ones who REALLY knew how to set up a TiVo account.

Folks...I think we're confusing higher prices with "dirty business practices". When Pegasus buys out a NRTC member and jacks up prices, that's not dirty, it's just business. If you don't like the prices at Burger King, go to McDonalds. If you don't like the prices at Pegasus, go to DishNetwork. And just like the two burger joints, there are some things you can get at one that you can't at the other. But still...it's just business. And...it's only television.

11. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    http://www.nrtc.org/navigate.cfm?page=DIRECTV

http://www.pegsattv.com/

Anyone got a Pegasus area zip code?

12. bills976

bills976 Godfather/Supporter

Jun 30, 2002
    Try my billing address zip: 12569

Thread Status: