1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pens vs. Red Wings

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by baby on way, Jan 31, 2010.

1. baby on way

baby on way Cool Member

Aug 29, 2008
    I live in Nashville and was wondering why am I not getting the Penguins vs. Red Wings today on NBC is this a Directv thing or local affiliate.

2. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    NBC is always a local thing, unless you have a DNS feed out of NYC/LA

3. PA GIANTS FAN

PA GIANTS FAN AllStar

Mar 28, 2009
    Frackville PA
    Getting the 700 club super sunday telethon. I would rather watch that any day than hockey. YA RIGHT !!! :flaiming

4. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    Same thing here in Birmingham - the 700 Club telethon instead of the Pens game. I didn't think local affiliates could just choose not to show a nationally televised sporting event like this. How can a network negotiate prices for ads when the only thing they can tell people are "It may be shown by quite a few of our affiliates, if they chose to do so . . . no telling, really, how many people will actually see your ad."

5. Feb 1, 2010 #5 of 13
    Cyber36

Cyber36 Legend

Mar 20, 2008
    Byron NY
    Geez, you guys missed a really good game! :( Things only get worse - the Pens play Washington next Sunday...........

6. Feb 1, 2010 #6 of 13
    trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Network affiliates always have the right to make a local decision to not air programming from the network, whatever it is.

The network has the right to try to get another channel in each market to carry a program that their regular affiliate turns down, but they don't usually bother for one-time preemptions such as this.

The network also has the right to look for another affiliate in the market when their contract is up, if they feel their current affiliate is preempting their programming too often.

It's rare that the network will take one-time affiliate preemptions into account when selling the advertising time in the first place. These preemptions were obviously planned in advance by the affiliates, but many preemptions -- such as those for local breaking news/weather -- are impossible to predict. It's much easier for the networks to make it up to their advertisers later, either with refunds or by giving the advertiser additional time free.

7. Feb 1, 2010 #7 of 13
    Aric

Aric Cool Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Was this just in Nashville or did other affiliates not show the game?

8. Feb 1, 2010 #8 of 13
    baby on way

baby on way Cool Member

Aug 29, 2008
    I am glad it was a good game, heard one of the best this year. I just find it funny how they keep wanting to make Nashville a hockey market and the local affiliate pools this crap. I can't wait for the 700 club next week when its Sid the Kid and Ovie blacked out.

9. Feb 1, 2010 #9 of 13
    Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    NBC = Nothing But Crosby.

10. wolfjc

wolfjc Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    Check that Sunday thing out because I thought that the guys on the NBC broadcast said that the Pens game was going to be on on Saturday.

11. j2fast

j2fast Godfather

Jul 15, 2007
    These affiliates shows the 700 club instead of the game. It's worth noting that WBRE in Scranton is the local affiliate that covers the area when the Penguin's AHL team is located. I'm sure there wasn't anyone in that area that wanted to see the game....

WAVY 10 Norfolk
    WBRE 28 Scranton
    WDTN 2 Dayton
    WVVA 6 Beckley-Bluefield
    WSMV 4 Nashville
    WVTM 13 Birmingham
    KKCO 11 Grand Junction

The Pens/Caps game is at noon on Sunday the 7th.

12. amponzi

amponzi Legend

Sep 2, 2009
    It's definitely on Sunday and it is ridiculous to preempt it with some 700 club event. If I were the NHL, I'd be flipping mad about this because that severely hurts growing the game. But, given the contract with Versus, that whole idea of growing the game is just smoke and mirrors. The only thing they've been doing is ticking off the diehards.

Then again, I don't watch any NBC games because it's bad enough seeing Crosby 6 times per year playing New Jersey. I don't need him rammed down my hockey throat every week on NBC as well, especially when he's not even the best player on his own team (Malkin).

EDIT: Attached is my current spreadsheet detailing number of U.S. national appearances by team and network (NHLN-US, Versus, and max on NBC). The results are pretty nasty.

13. Cyber36

Cyber36 Legend

Mar 20, 2008
    Byron NY
    Being a Pittsburgh fan, it looks good to me