1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Periodic color fade

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jazmann, Jun 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jazmann

jazmann Cool Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Occasionally, my screen fades color. Changes to purple hues and fades to grey. Color usually comes back after about 15-20 seconds, but sometimes I've got to change channels and back. This is really frustrating, especially if I'm recording something. It tiles sometimes, too. Not near as bad as Charters "digital cable" did, but frustrating nonetheless. Does anyone else have this problem, or know what causes it?
    Thank for your help. :confused:

2. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Never heard of it. However, I had a problem once where it would go to black and white. Problem was a loose S-Video cable. Got it all nice and tight and never had a problem since. So check all your video connections to make sure they are nice and secure.

3. JeffN

JeffN Cool Member

May 6, 2004
    I have that problem too, but no idea what is causing it.

4. SnowFade

SnowFade AllStar

Jul 5, 2004
    I had that happen for a while with a DirecTiVo...All I did was lower the shelf it sat on in my entertainment system to improve the ventilation. Haven't had it since (3+ months).

5. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Unfortunately, if your receiver is a DirecTiVo series 2, then this is a normal occurrence, nothing really you can do about it. The loss of color happens to me once in a while and there is a long thread about this on the TiVo Community Forums. This happened on both my original RCA DirecTiVos, both were later replaced by Hughes. The loss of color doesn't happen as much on my TV as it does on my moms. I have a 32" CRT and she has a 48" RPTV. I swear it has something to do with that hers is a rear projection because hers will do rainbow effects and it will happen much more frequently. Mine just fades to black or the banner will turn magenta.

I switched boxes numerous times, and the conclusion I've always came up with is for some reason the effects on a RPTV are more server then on a regular CRT. A few folks at the TiVo Forums even backed me up with their own observations. Yesterday was the first time I experienced the color loss in about a month. It usually happens when channel surfing of when going into the menus. Series 1 DirecTiVos don't have this problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.