1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perspective Subscriber Questions

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by 01sporty, Oct 28, 2011.

Tags:
  1. 01sporty

01sporty New Member

May 23, 2011
    "Dish subscribers, be aware of the Fox/DirecTV dispute"

That's why I'm here. I've been a DirecTV subscriber for years and have stayed with them, to a large extent, because I'm grandfathered in with a HR10-250 TIVO setup. This spitting contest with FOX has encouraged me to do some looking around. If I'm reading the Dish website correctly, I can get pretty much everything I now have with DirecTV but in HD for the same money. :grin: The package I'm considering is the 200 with HD DVR.

I tried doing the 'chat' thing from the Dish website, only to get the usual @#$% that speaks a brand of english I'm unfamiliar with and is only interested in telling me what I want to hear and get me to sign up. :(

I'm hoping you good folks will suffer through my overly long post and help me make a good, informed decision. :D

My first and biggest concern is losing TIVO. How do Dish owners like their interface? What features will I be losing and/or gaining? What's your biggest gripe with the Dish system? Keep in mind that my present DVR is far from modern. Also keep in mind that I need to make a good enough case to pry the peanut remote from the SO's clutches. ;)

I've done a fair amount of reading and the 722k seems to be a very solid machine. Since I have just the one TV, the online signup wants to give me the 612. What would be involved in getting the switch? The 722k comes with a 500 gig drive. Down the road, I will probably want 1Tb. How difficult is it to swap drives?

Undoubtedly, Dish is going to be looking for a two year commitment. Am I stuck with that or is there a way to sidestep it?

Are local channels included in the packages? Right now I get my locals OTA just to get them in HD but the Dish website lists all the locals I normally watch in HD. What is involved in getting the antenna module included with the 722k? "Just in case". I see there is an entire section devoted to OTA. Is this for markets that don't get their locals via satellite?

My last question is a bit trivial. The install cost is listed as somewhere between $15 and $95. That's quite a spread. What determines how much it's going to be?

Thanks for your time, Walt

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    There's nothing holding you to DIRECTV but your fear of losing TiVo. AFAIK, you can still reactivate TiVo receivers on a DIRECTV account.
    Reviewing your situation is something you should do at least every couple of years and more frequently if you're jonesing for something new.
    Shame on you for expecting anything more. ;)
    Are we talking TiVo the brand or tivo the verb? Everybody (outside of some backwater cable TV systems) have figured out how to do an acceptable DVR.
    What other people like is of little consequence to you.
    What would you miss if you lost it?
    The hardware is solid, but the software is a little on the hinky side this month.
    Sharing more of your money with them.
    Swapping drives is not supported. You can add archival storage via USB 2.0 connected drives until you run out of space to store the drives.
    You can buy your equipment outright and self-install (or pay someone hourly) and forfeit any special promotions but that's pretty drastic. Generally speaking I can't foresee you being significantly better off elsewhere unless Fox ultimately strikes an agreement with DIRECTV and not with DISH Network (certainly a possibility).
    They would be included.
    You plug in a suitable antenna, scan for channels and it works. You may not get guide information for some of the more obscure channels, but unlike DIRECTV, you'll be able to tune them all. If being able to record four channels at once is important, the ViP722K is your daisy and you'll need to order the OTA tuner separately. If you only need three, the ViP612 (or ViP622 or ViP722) will do and you don't need to pop for an extra-cost tuner. The guide information is integrated so you don't have to go out of your way to use OTA.
    How much additional equipment is required (switchgear, Internet connection) and whether or not you want International service (I think that's the $95 install).

3. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Since the first receiver on your account has NO extra charges based on model, (except for the DVR service charge, of course) just tell them you have 2 TV's & it should give you a 722k for the same price. (both monthly & upfront)

4. 01sporty

01sporty New Member

May 23, 2011
    Thank you dishrich. Should anyone ever ask, I will totally take credit for your excellent suggestion. :p I found time to visit a local installer and he confirmed that with a bit of 'wink, wink, nod, nod', providing me with a 722 will not be an issue.

I found a couple of great reviews at Amazon, of all places, that give a lot of good specifics. They confirm all the good things I'd heard about the 722. Just go to Amazon and search 722k.

Shame no one has hacked the Dish boxes to put in larger hard drives. I suppose having the USB option is enough to kill any incentive for doing so.

I found the 722 manual at the Dish site, it really has most of the same features as my TIVO box. The main feature that will be lost will be suggestions. That's too bad, I had that box very well trained. :(
    Also, the TIVO guide extends out 14 days rather than the 9 days of the Dish guide. Probably won't matter. Any time I need to look that far out it seems the 14 days comes up just short anyway.

On the flip side, I'll be gaining HD for the same money. :D
    I think I'm going to give it a go. I just need to figure out the best time to make the switch and not miss my favorite soap. (SOA) :grin:

5. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    If you get the 722, you will have only 1 OTA tuner. If you get the 722K with the OTA module you get 2 OTA tuners.

However, you should expect the same kind of carriage disputes with Dish. Last year, Dish also had a dispute with Fox and several other companies.

6. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    Regarding Fox, Dish went dark for 29 days last fall. I don't know how long the contract is for but we could certainly lose them again in the future.

7. 01sporty

01sporty New Member

May 23, 2011
    Thanks for letting me know the difference between the 722 and 722k. I'm hoping I won't even need the OTA but I intend to get it so I might as well insist on the latest and greatest.

I knew Dish had been through the same deal with Fox. I'm hoping they got a nice, long contract. At least long enough to get me through a two year commitment.

Wish they would just offer everything ala carte and let us decide if the cost increase is worth it. I hope streaming nudges them in that direction. It's getting pretty good.

8. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    As for putting larger drives in Dish receivers, Dish has a hardware database in their OS that will use only certain precise drive model numbers.

The drives used in the 922 (1TB I believe) can be put in the 722k because those numbers are in the database, but it is so much easier to just add an external drive (up to 2 TB supported) that messing with the internal drive is more trouble that it's worth.

Unlike the DirecTV external drive, the Dish 722k external drive is archival to the internal and both are usable from the interface, so the Dish EHD adds capacity while the DTV EHD replaces the internal.

9. 01sporty

01sporty New Member

May 23, 2011
    Jeff, I'd love to but I can't answer you til I have 5 posts. :lol:

I'll think of some other bit of trivia later and get back to you.

10. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I started the thread you're talking about just to make sure we Dish subscribers keep aware of these disputes - disputes that have been far more common in the Dish arena.

Dish Network's founder and President Charlie Ergen has no qualms about fighting whether in negotiations or in the courts. In fact, in the past he has seemed to relish the good fight.

While it's good to look around and I have been a satisfied customer of Ergen's Empire for decades, be aware that there Dish has had an ongoing kerfluffle with the Disney folks which affects or could affect the Disney Channels, ABC Family, ESPN channels, and some ABC owned and operated local network affiliates.

Whether it's either satellite provider or a cable company, these disputes are going to be more common in the next few years.

In other words, don't change just because of this dispute as next year you could be even more disturbed as a Dish customer.

With that said, Dish's equipment made by Echostar (used to be one company) is excellent, but of course not perfect. The 722k with the two receiver OTA module is an excellent option since you get HD OTA - in essence, you can simultaneously record 4 HD local stations (2 through the satellite receivers in the DVR, 2 through the OTA receivers in the module) while watching a program you've already recorded. Locals are included in all the normal packages.

The thing is you need to determine (1) if Dish will provide you with the programming you want (if you're big into sports be cautious), (2) will the costs associated with changing save you money or at least not be more expensive (DirecTV has a retention department that sometimes offers some deals for those who are thinking about changing), and (3) can you and particularly can others in your household put up with a learning curve because of changing equipment.

11. 01sporty

01sporty New Member

May 23, 2011
    My only concern with adding an external hard drive is the heat and noise. I already have way too much stuff crammed into way too small of cabinet. If I locate it outside the cabinet, there's the noise factor. If the added drive is primarily archival, can I just plug it in when I want to save some stuff that I say I want to watch again but never really do?

The scuffle with Fox was only the stimulus that got me started looking around. Once I found out I could have HD for the same money I'd been pay for SD, I got serious.

Don't watch anything Disney on a regular basis. It could probably disappear and I wouldn't notice. My sport is F1. If Fox didn't own Speed I'd abandon them so fast you'd feel the breeze two states away. There is my SOA soap but it's not a game changer.

The wife is the only other person in the household and I've got her pretty well convinced. She's quite computer literate and since we use JP1 remotes, once I get them programmed, it will work in a pretty similar fashion to what we've been used to.

12. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    you can connect and disconnect the hard drive whenever you want.

13. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    You might want to get the Targus chill mat if you have your receiver in an enclosed space. It can plug into one of the receiver's USB ports or you can buy a USB AC adapter if you want both of your receiver's USB ports for hard drives.

14. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Dish has been pushing for a la carte for quite some time, but they haven't been able to work out such agreements with most of the providers or get any legislation passed. Although there are a few channels available a la carte.

I don't watch sports programming, but I certainly pay lots of money for all of the sports channels.

Some contend that a la carte would be more expensive than having the current packages though. Also, sometimes I find programs to watch on channels that I wouldn't purchase a la carte.

15. 01sporty

01sporty New Member

May 23, 2011
    I have four computer fans mounted to keep things under control. I run them at 9 volts instead of 12 to keep the noise undetectable. There simply isn't any room in there for another hard drive unless I move all those DVDs I never watch.

There is room outside the cabinet. As long as it can be turned on and off at will, that option should work out fine.