1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 50" Plasma HDTV (50PF9630A)

Discussion in 'HDTV Equipment (Closed Forum)' started by Zatoichi, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Zatoichi

Zatoichi New Member

Jun 26, 2005
    I'm thinking of getting this set. Anyone have any experiance with this TV? If not this one, I'm also looking at one of the new Sony 3LCD TV's.

2. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    No personal experience, but in a recent article, Consumer Reports liked the 42" Philips plasma receiver. Downside of Plasma -- high price, heat (and lots of it!), power consumption, bulb life and replacement cost and burnin of bright static images (although this has improved in recent years). Advantages -- bright, gorgeous pictures, slim cabinets.
    My daughter and son-inlaw have a 60 inch Sony RP LCD receiver and are very happy with it. I haven't seen too much of it, so can't comment on whether it has noticable screen door effect, a common problem with LCD's You certainly get more bang for the buck with an LCD, but image quality may not be as good as with a plasma receiver. RP LCD's also take up more space than plasma receivers (deeper cabinets, but not as deep as RP CRT receiver cabinets).

If possible, compare the sets with true HD source programming in addition to standard analog broadcasts and DVD's. That may be difficult in most store environments, where they don't have HD reception from either cable or satellite. Most programming today is still 480i analog, so it pays to see how well the receiver handles that type of source.
    For what it's worth, the effective SD picture size (diagonal) on a widescreen receiver is 0.817 times the diagonal measurement of the receiver. Hence, a 50 inch widescreen receiver will display an SD picture about the size of a 41 inch 4:3 receiver.

3. Kendick

Kendick Mentor

Jan 31, 2005
    Take a look at Pioneer Elite. A bit pricey but worth every nickel.