1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips Hue App Controlled Lightbulb

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by trdrjeff, Oct 31, 2012.

1. trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    Interesting Concept, the first adopter surcharge is more than I'm willing to pay :lol:

$199 for a 3 pack starter kit including bridge.

Meet hue, “the world’s smartest LED bulb.” Starting today, Apple Stores, and only Apple Stores, will carry this Philips hue lightbulb, which, for those that don’t know, is controlled by an iOS app (Android App also available) so you can set your lighting preferences in an easy-to-use app right on your favorite iDevice.

For $199 you can get a starter pack of three lightbulbs of 600 lumen and a hue bridge to connect the bulbs to a home network. Each bulb offers every shade of white and a variety of color. It uses 80 percent less power than traditional lightbulbs while providing the equivalent of a 500 watt bulb. You also have the option to buy a big introduction pack, which can go up to 50 individual bulbs, each extra bulb priced at $59.

Save your favorite light scenes for each room and each time of day and easily recall them.
    Use any photo from your phone as a color palette to paint your room with the same lighting to bring your memories back to life.
    Tune white light from warm candlelight to vibrant, cool white light.
    Create ambience or complement your decor with the colors of the rainbow.
    Control and monitor your light settings through your iPhone or iPad while not at home for security.
    Set timers.
    Let the light wake you up naturally or help you fall asleep.

2. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I'm not paying $59 for a light bulb unless it can mix martinis for me...

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Sounds as free advertisement here; perhaps URL would be more appropriate ?

4. trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
  5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Looks like you quoted full page of ads...