1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Phone Jack on Genie HR-44?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JohnBoy, Jul 28, 2013.

1. JohnBoy

JohnBoy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    First forgive my nubee question.

I have my HR-44 in the family room next to my Uverse gateway/router.I connected the HR-44 wirelessly as I hear that is how its recommended.I would rather just plug an ethernet between them since they are near each other.

Is there any issues with it being hardwired?

O.K now my real question.

I want to get my caller id working on my HR-44 but I don't have a phone jack on the wall around where my equiptment is.There is however a cat5 jack that uverse has their modem connected to.

Can I just plug a phone line from the phone jack of the HR-44 to a phone jack on the back of my router/gateway?

Will it work that way, or must it be a phone jack from the wall?

2. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Definely switch to a hard line Ethernet cable for your Ethernet connection. And after you physically plug it in hit the red reset button under the front panel of the DVR to restart it so it will switch to that connection instead if wireless.

And it doesn't matter if its plugged into a wall jack or a phone jack directly from the modem as long as its a live phone jack with a dial tone.

1 person likes this.
  3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    What Inky says.

But I am curious as to where you heard wireless is better? Please.

4. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Also in the future to help avoid confusion, make sure you use the expression "Cat 5 jack" only for the larger 8 pin jacks or ports used for ethernet data connections and the actual "phone jacks" for the smaller 6 pin "RJ11/14" jack or plug.

EDIT: Perhaps I should refer to the ubiquitous RJ11/14 phone "jack" as "8 pin," but not the plug which is actually "6P4C" for "6 position 4 connector" type (RJ14). or "6P2C" for a "6 position 2 connector" one (RJ11).

5. harperhometheater

harperhometheater Legend

Aug 30, 2012
    Some phone connections use the larger RJ31 jack, which is very similar to Cat5, etc.

6. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yes, but I thought an "RJ31" jack is usually one of the outputs of a two output adapter. An 8 pin RJ31 "Cat 5 looking" jack intended for some type of auto-dialing device like part of a home fire or security reporting system.

The other side of the adapter though is a standard RJ11/14 jack for the home phones which is wired inside the adapter to loop-through an auto-dialing device (if connected) to the two center pins of the RJ31 "Cat 5 looking" plug which connects out to the PSTN.

7. harperhometheater

harperhometheater Legend

Aug 30, 2012
    Yep, wiki is your friend! :)