1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phone line buzz

Discussion in 'Technical Talk (Closed Forum)' started by keyoctave, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Jan 9, 2005 #1 of 11
    keyoctave

keyoctave Mentor

Jan 9, 2005
    I have noticed a problem since I upgraded my Directv receiver to a DVR/Tivo unit. When I hook up the phone jack, I have a low buzz/hum in the line. I also get this with my other newer upgraded receiver (an RCA DRD435RH). I did not have this problem with my older RCA receivers (a 502 and 221). The buzz is not there when I hook up the old receivers but is on both of the new ones. (note..I had the installers back with a new DVR unit and it does the same thing). I also notice a slight buzz when I hook up my computer's modem to the phone jack (a 1 1/2 year old Sony Viao). When I disconnect everything from the receivers, then hook up the phone line, there is no noise. If I hook anything up (either sat antenna, power cord or A/V cables) the buzz is there. This has been interfering with my connection speed with my computer (which is dial-up) . When I un-hook both receivers, my speed is normal. When I hook either one or both to the phone line the connection speed drops by 1/3rd. When I hook up other phones, there is no problem, only AC equipment with phone jacks does this.

I have traced all phone lines (the red/green,yellow/black type) and found no problems. All phone jacks in the house (4) have separate lines to each with a junction box at the point of entry into the house from the outside box. I have re-spliced the lines on the inside junction box. I have tried each line individually and they all will buzz. I tried a DSL filter to no avail. All lines are hooked in phase. I have also installed a second grounding rod to the the electrical system.

The phone company said it is inside the house, not on their line.
    What gives? Is this some sort of ground loop or is the newer equipment that much more sensitive. Is there a way I can eliminate this noise? A big thank you to all who can help!

2. Jan 9, 2005 #2 of 11
    motorcycle_rider

motorcycle_rider Cool Member

Jan 8, 2005
    I wonder if a filter of some sorts would help you. But more than likely you might have bad wiring going to the recievers or your polarity crossed over. here is a link to home wiring if you care to check it out to verify your wiring is correct other than that I have know idea about wether or not they make a filter for that.

Home phone wiring

Does anybody know if a DSL filter would help him out?

Never mind I saw that you tried a dsl filter.

3. Jan 9, 2005 #3 of 11
    keyoctave

keyoctave Mentor

Jan 9, 2005
    Thanks for your response motorcycle_rider. I have a phone jack tester that lights up green when the wiring is correct and red if it is not. All jacks light up green.

I am wondering if a separate grounding rod just for the phone might help or do I need to replace my lines with the twisted pair type (don't know what kind I would need)? Anyone else?

4. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Is it a 60Hz hum? If so, then it's coming from the housee electrical system in some fashion. It can be from laying a power cord next to a phone cable. Did you bind them together when you wired things up?

It can also be due to a fault in the receiver itself. Start swapping things around especially if there's flat phone wire involved - it picks up all sorts of crap - they shouldn't even be allowed to sell it in more than 6 foot lengths. :(

5. red hazard

red hazard Legend DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 11, 2004
    Not sure why the older receivers did not also induce any hum. Perhaps they have an isolation transformer. At any rate it sure "sounds" like a ground loop. Insure that the phone ground is tied to the electrical service ground. That might require some digging. My house was built in 1990 and while the phone company used a separate grounding rod, it was well bonded to the nearby electrical grounding rod. If the satellite installer put in a separate grounding rod for the dish and ground block, that too needs to be bonded to the electrical service grounding rod with no less than 6 AWG Cu cable.

6. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    I asked the phone company technician that was putting up a line for me today about buzzing on a phone line and he said that it was caused by the ground.

7. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    If your satellite receivers have three prong power cords try putting two prong adapters on them.

8. keyoctave

keyoctave Mentor

Jan 9, 2005
    Thanks again for all your help!! I tried the 2 prong adapter to no avail. I now have 2 grounding rods (placed the new one 6 feet from the other and grounded in from the older rod using new clamps and wire). I also verified that the phone and satellite ground was hooked up to the main electric wire going to the grounding rod. I am having an electrician come to look at my box (a friend who is licensed). I understand that new home wiring codes have the electrical double grounded. Before I look into electric box replacement with the newer double grounded models, I will try isolating the phone ground, try different cable to my phones and verify that the existing phone lines are not coming to close to the main electric in the wall.
    I got rid of the RCA unit and am now using 2 D*/Tivo units. I keep them unplugged from the phone line now.

9. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    I keep them unplugged from the phone line now.

Reckon thats best, order pay per view on line.

It's cheaper.

10. keyoctave

keyoctave Mentor

Jan 9, 2005
    Samrs, how is it cheeper to order PPV on-line vs. using the receiver?

11. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Ya get it on all your recievers. Reckon that makes it half price. :)