1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phone line problem with HR 44.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by larryah, Jul 30, 2013.

1. larryah

larryah AllStar

Jul 29, 2010
    I have had my HR 44 for a few weeks and really like it. But when it was installed, I noticed my phone wasnt working. There was no dialtone. He unhooked the line from the HR 44 and it worked again. So I cant use the caller id feature and I really like it. The installer really didnt have an answer as to why. It was one of his first installs for a HR 44. Anyone have a reason and hopefully a fix for this problem?

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It could be a ground problem with the HR44 phone jack. Can you use a regular phone with the same cable? Are you using anything besides a normal "plain old telephone system?"

3. bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    I would check the pins on the phone jack just to make sure they're nice and straight. If not, they could short when the plug is inserted.

Stuart, we're showing our age with those references to "POTS" lines. :eek2:

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Um maybe make sure he plugged it unit the phone jack and not the Ethernet jack?

5. mark_winn

mark_winn Legend

Nov 3, 2005
    Um maybe make sure he plugged it unit the phone jack and not the Ethernet jack?

For sure. That happened with mine. A very easy mistake to be made.

6. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Crossed pins in the connector was a good suggestion. So to wrong jack, ooops!

I have seen quite a few bad phone cords over the years (not so many lately) but a bad phone cord is usually electrically open or intermittent, not shorted.

If phone cord is mangled under cabinet edge or pinched hard in a caster it could short.

7. Joe166

Joe166 AllStar

Jan 5, 2007
    My installer put the phone cord into the ethernet jack and shorted out my phone line. Fortunately, that was before I gave him the mandatory/voluntary Jackson tip.

1 person likes this.
  8. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Hah! Touché!