1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

phone line problem

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by sylvanir, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sylvanir

sylvanir Mentor

Sep 14, 2007
    Ok, so I'm running into a bit of a problem. I just got a replacement D10-300 which, when I plug my phone line into it, knocks out my phone service for the whole house. I tried looking through the forums but I couldn't find anything about this. When I unplug the phone line from the receiver, everything else works fine. I tried connecting a regular phone to the line I am using for the receiver and it works fine. I do have dsl service, but I have a filter installed on the line, so I don't really know what else to do.

I know you guys know all, so I thought I would come here before wading through the IVR *shudder*

2. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Does the D10-300 have an Ethernet port also? Most common mistake with the newer boxes.

3. sylvanir

sylvanir Mentor

Sep 14, 2007
    No, I checked for that and a low speed data port - neither one exists, just the phone port. I'm guessing the modem is creating an open circuit on my phone line, but I wanted to see whether there might be another explanation.

4. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Have you reset or power cycle the box?

5. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    call for a replacement.

6. sylvanir

sylvanir Mentor

Sep 14, 2007
    I did an RBR and I tried unplugging all cables and left it resting for about 5 minutes, then plugged everything back in - still having same issue.

7. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Ok, but just for clarification, if it is killing the line it would be causing a short on the line. Look in the plug hole and make sure the pins are not crossed or smashed, and try a reset or unplug it for a bit like HDTVsportsfan said.

8. sylvanir

sylvanir Mentor

Sep 14, 2007
    As I mentioned just above, I've tried a couple of different resets...

Ok, just checked the pins and everything looks ok, but god knows my eyes aren't the best.. hmm. this one is :kickbutt:

9. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Not looking good. Time for a new box.

10. sylvanir

sylvanir Mentor

Sep 14, 2007
    That's kinda what I thought, but I was hoping to avoid it since this was already a replacement. Oh well, time face the IVR. Thanks for all the quick responses!

11. djwww98

djwww98 Godfather

Jan 11, 2006
    Try a different phone cord. May not be the problem but it's quick and easy enough to check. And if you can, try a different wall outlet. Might as well rule out the easy stuff before you go for a new box.

12. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    OP covered that in the OP

13. djwww98

djwww98 Godfather

Jan 11, 2006
    No he didn't. Sometimes a different cord fits the plug a little different. It's probably not the problem but it's an easy check. I have lost track of how many modem problems I have traced to a bad cord. They get stepped on, get pulled on tweaking the wall outlet plug. It could be intermitent cord or plug problem, thus it worked when he checked it with another phone. Probably will be the box, but it doesn't hurt to check before going for a new one. He asked for suggestions. I gave him one.

14. sylvanir

sylvanir Mentor

Sep 14, 2007
    It's really not a bad idea. Unforunately I don't have a spare on hand, so will have to wait til tomorrow to go get one. Thanks for the input!

15. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    As I read it you proved the cord and outlet were ok due to the fact you plugged a phone into it? That is a very positive test of the cord and outlet. But, it never hurts. I do believe you have done all the testing needed IMHO.

16. sylvanir

sylvanir Mentor

Sep 14, 2007
    That's what I was thinking, but it never hurts to try a few extra steps.

And hey, if it is the phone cord, I don't have to call for a replacement unit. May as well rule out everything but the box before hand, and it's not like a phone cord is all that expensive, so what the hey?

17. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Wacha need a phone line for?

18. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    The other end of the test=

Take the receiver and cord to another phone outlet and see if it dumps the phones there. Sounds like a short in the box...........a reconditioned receiver could get removed from an installation with a dark & junk filled setting. Move the box far enough and the unseen phone cord gets a yank..a thought.

Joe

19. sylvanir

sylvanir Mentor

Sep 14, 2007
    Various interactive services, game lounge, remote ppv ordering, caller id, etc.

20. sylvanir

sylvanir Mentor

Sep 14, 2007

considering I just got this one, I don't think there would be much hassle getting a different one shipped out if I can't resolve the issue on my own, I'd just like to get it resolved as easily as possible. Besides, it's not like a tech support agent is going to go to all the trouble I have to try and get this working. They'll just go, "Have you tried resetting it? Ok, we'll send you a new one."

Errm, well...I hope it will be that easy at least! :sure:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.