1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phone lines no longer needed?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by disneyfreak, Dec 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. disneyfreak

disneyfreak Cool Member

Dec 3, 2006
    I guess I should have said required.....My father in law caled to have DTV installed this coming Tuesday. He is having the R15 installed in a lake house with no phone line. They told him this was fine, that DTV was losing too many customers to this issue.

Is this the case? Can I FINALLY lose my $15/mo phone bill? I have 2R10s, 1 HR20, and two other misc receivers.

Thanks all!

2. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    You don't need a phone line on non-Tivo receivers. Never have "technically". The downside is that you can't order PPV with remote and a very few may have issues with sports packages like Sunday Ticket, but that is pretty rare.

3. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    We get pressed to install phone lines since the HSPs get payed less per install if the box doesn't respond.

If there is no phone line there is no phone line. But if there is one withing reasonable distance in a house we still need to hook it up.

4. Dbadone

Dbadone Legend

Nov 9, 2006
    g) Phone Connections. Your receiver must always be directly connected to a land-based telephone line to receive certain Service, such as sports subscriptions and your local regional sports services network, and to be authorized to order with your remote control. If it is not so connected, or if it is connected to a line other than the one you tell us, or if the line is not performing according to our requirements, we may deactivate the applicable Service. If we do, you will still be responsible for all Services purchased through the date of deactivation. Your receivers must also be connected to the same land-based telephone line in order to be eligible to pay the additional TV fee (see 1(f)) rather than purchase a separate subscription for each additional TV.

It's still in your agreement. Yes they have overlooked it in the recent past however, I wouldn't count on it being that way forever.

5. ckage83

ckage83 New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    I just got it installed in my new house. There wasn't a phone jack available right near the TV so the first installed offered a wireless phone jack. I said that was fine since I was under the impression that I HAD to have a landline. That guy left 1/2 way through the install due to family issues. The second guy said there was no reason for the phone so why bother. Should I call back and have them reinstall?

6. videojanitor

videojanitor DBSTalk Club Member

Oct 8, 2006
    As an aside to this discussion, if you DO have the phone line connected to something like an HR20, does the receiver periodically dial out, even if you haven't ordered any PPV? Just wondering what it would dial out for, and if you don't have the line connected, why would it not start to nag you (ala TiVo)?

7. TreeFarm

TreeFarm Mentor

Dec 4, 2006
    I have two old Hughes receivers. I was required to have a line to each of them as a condition of the installation, and they had to be on the same number. They definately used to dial out. I am on ISDN and my phone equipment has limited logging capability (last ten outgoing calls, including data calls, which roll the logs over pretty fast). Even so, I've seen the DirecTV calls several times, but I haven't noticed any lately. That simply may be because I wasn't looking at the right time, or it might mean a software update turned it off.

The equipment dials out to let DirecTV know where it is. Caller ID lets them know it is still at your location.

As an aside, I disconnected one of the receivers from the phone line quite some time ago. Nobody's complained yet.

I have never ordered any PPV.

8. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    Receivers dial out once a month, usually around the same day each month. If they miss their target day they will start dialing out multiple times a day until they connect. I know because I have Vonage and every single call out is logged.

Last time I noticed was because I had the phone line going to 3 receivers unplugged by mistake for a couple months. Plugged it back in and they all dialed out within an hour.

9. videojanitor

videojanitor DBSTalk Club Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Thanks for the replies. I have all of my receivers connected, so I'm not too concerned about -- just kind of wondering what it was all about, especially since nowadays, you're likely to run into plenty of people who don't have a landline. I wonder what happens if a new customer tries to signup and they don't have a landline? Will DirecTV tell them tell them to call Comcast??

10. saleen351

saleen351 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    I get the ST and MLB packages without the line and no problem, however for the MLB package it was a hassle I had to threaten to drop DTV so they called me and said to buy the R15 and they will give me a waiver for the MLB package, D claims it's MLB requirement for the line. I've never once had a line in any of my boxes and I've had zero issues, in fact I don't know anyone that has a line in their boxes then again I don't know anyone who buys PPV, my circle of friends are all on netflix like me.

11. rutgersfan

rutgersfan AllStar

Dec 17, 2006
    I got rid of my land-line months ago. You don't need it. I have 2 regular Tivos, the HD-Tivo, and the new HR-20. The Hd-Tivo runs slow with no phone, and I get an annoying nag message every other day. But you don't NEED a phone line, unless you want to order stuff via remote.

12. Johnnycb

Johnnycb New Member

Mar 3, 2007
    Scott,
    How did you hook up your receiver to Vonage since it is net based and not running thru your phone jacks located in the walls?

Johnny

13. Just J

Just J Crivens!

Oct 11, 2006
    HR20 here, no land line at all (just cellular service). I confirmed before ordering the HR20 (to replace a failing HR10-250) that no land line was required for basic service. So far, no issues. Though I haven't seen a PPV that I wanted to view yet, so I can't vouch for how well the whole "order via Internet" thing is going to work.

14. GeorgeLV

GeorgeLV Godfather

Jan 1, 2006
    Ordering over the internet has a few advantages like authorizing the program for all receivers on your account.

Still, if you a land line it's worth connecting them for the caller id, sports subscriptions, and ordering by remote.

15. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I don't know what Scott did, but most of the VOIP adapters give you a standard RJ11 style phone jack that you can plug a standard telephone into. You disconnect your internal phone wiring from the external world, then simply plug one of your phone jacks into the VOIP adapter. Presto, you have dial tone at all the other jacks in your house.

Let me re-emphasize one item: YOU DISCONNECT YOUR INTERNAL WIRING FROM THE EXTERNAL WORLD. In most newer homes, that involves unplugging a jack where the phone line comes to a distribution box on the outside of your house. In some older installations, you might have to physically disconnect a pair of wires someplace. Do be sure to do this before hooking up your VOIP line to your house phone wiring.

Carl

16. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    Correct.

What I did was got a set of wireless modem adapters which work over the power lines in the house. So one plugs in the outlet near the Vonage box, phone line from it to the this outlet. Then I have another one in the home theater and another upstairs. This give me a phone jack in the rooms I want it.

17. Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I didn't have my last receiver hooked up to a phone line and it worked for every channel. But tonight I hooked it up to a phone line and I noticed that the picture was better. I don't know if this has anything to do with D or if it is the TV because it is an older model :confused:

18. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    It's only going to get more lenient. Besides, once they start up the VOD service, I bet they'll ditch the phone line requirement and allow the Internet connection to be used to make the call.

19. Picketeer

Picketeer AllStar

Feb 27, 2007
    HR20s don\'t need a landline at all, even the updates are via satellite.........Prior receivers will not receive software updates, nor will you be able to use some of the other funtions...................

20. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Only the Tivo-based units need the phone line for updates (for authorization, the update itself comes via the satellite). PPV via remote won't work on any receiver without a phone line, of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.