1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phone Lines to recievers

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Bkegg, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Bkegg

Bkegg New Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Ok just thought Id pose one quick question. Directv would like for every box to be hooked to a phone line of course but often as an installer would we run into the cell phone only customer were we cannot hook up the line.

Question simply is...Is there anyway to avoid Directv doing the call back to a reciever that is not hooked to a phone line because of a cell phone only situation?

I heard a rumor that if the rep during activation disables the IPPV that the system will not dail out. I haven't tried it and I really dont see it working. Just seeing if anyone had an idea.

thanks

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    All that does is prevent them from ordering ANY PPV via the remote, even if they later hook up the phone line. It doesn't have any affect on your non-responder rate.

Basically, every receiver you activate has 7 days to "phone home" successfully. If it fails, you get charged back.

3. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Bkegg,

You are about to be screwed! Welcome to DTV land.
    As you mentioned DTV would like to have each receiver connected to a phone line. If you are working for an HSP they will give you some reasonable sounding crap about percentages of receivers that ring back and offer to compensate you at the next tier if you fail to plug in the boxes. You .......betya yer a new guy......as a well motivated tech agree to plug in all the boxes within 25 feet of a jack.

Know that if you damage a customer phone system running lines or splicing into jacks they will find a way to ding you. If the receiver interrupts the customer internet service you are the last person working on the system.
    IF the customer staples one of your lines and dumps their phones the only thing they know is that the phones all worked before the DTV guy was there.

For real fun connect to the wrong line in the NID.

PPV & CID are great features. DTV sells cx data that is gleaned from those IRDs and it identifies which account is using what eq. All reasonable activities but when it doesn't happen it is you who will, one way or another, be asked to take less money for your work.

Joe

4. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Won't work. As a inhouse HSP tech =we didn't get dinged for phone lines nor wher eI work no. As a sub it was a chunk gone every week.

5. DJTheC

DJTheC AllStar

Oct 31, 2007
    Yeah, we get hit, written up, and threatened to be fired despite our performance levels.

6. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    My original installer spent a lot of time running phone lines to rooms that didn't have them so he could connect the DirecTV equipment.

He left too much wire hanging off a screw in the phone box and it shorted the line the next day.

It was an easy fix (as it should be for any homeowner.) Rather than condemn the installer, I appreciated now having extensions in the extra rooms.

7. clb4g9

clb4g9 Legend

Sep 23, 2007
    I have never hooked up any of my receivers to phone lines, and the installer that came here a couple of months ago didn't even ask....I always tell the CSR from D* when I activate a receiver that there won't be a phone line hooked up and it's never been a big deal.....kind of stinks that installers would get dinged for a house that only has cell phones (like my house). What is an installer supposed to do if a house doesn't have phone service? Not do the install there?

8. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007

Something like that,

One of the companies I did DTV installs for had long meetings on the phone thing...........So when I arrived at a fifty acre campground with one pay phone at the gate I called the office and reported NO PHONE therefore NO INSTALLATION. That company said it would be OK this one time to
    install the system and activate it from the pay phone.

DTV knows about this (and their policy is......leave some space for a DTV person............)

It is just something stupid that they do. As an item in a contract they are asking techs to be responsible for something the tech can't control. After departure the customer can do anything with the new phone connection and the installer cannot come back and reconnect the boxes. Seven days later: goodbye five bucks per non responder.

Joe

9. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Paul,

Your result is a good one. The down side is when any of those extensions fail. Extra jacks wired in series can be a pain to troubleshoot. You were able to fix an obvious fault but not every customer can do that.

There was a time when a telco rep would knock on your door and demand access to your house to remove unauthorized phones and or answering machines. They would pee themselves over the receiver connections. Those days are gone. The courts have ruled you own the wires in your home.

Free stuff is worth exactly what you pay for it.

Joe

10. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    After the job was done I went into my crawlspace and saw exactly where and how the installer connected everything. Troubleshooting would not be much of a problem in my home.

I think customers are too quick to blame someone (the installer) when if they just calmed down and used their head, they could solve their own problem a lot quicker than waiting for someone else to do it.

Yeah, it is unfortunate if an installer makes a mistake and cuts off your phone--but do you track down the problem and simply fix it, or do you get mad and yell, and do without phone service for a few days?

11. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    By the way, I didn't tell him to run the phone lines. He needed the money, I suppose.

On my later installs, I have known the need for a phone line. I now have two DVRs unconnected, but they were connected when first installed--every time I add one I make sure it is connected to a phone line for a few days after an install, even if it means running a temporary phone cord from another room.

12. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Paul,

Your capabilities are far beyond those of most DTV clients. I also do phone work and have learned enough to isolate problems pretty quick. I also realize most phone techs have much more skill & training than me.

What grinds me is this intentional ambiguity that allows things to flow along until something bad happens. Then the tech is taken out and flogged for his error without compensation for all the successes.

If a customer calls the phone company to get a service call they are looking at around a hundred dollar charge. That is what they will scream about. Most folks will not learn enough about their home systems to diagnose and fix them.

Joe