1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Phone transaction fee??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by goldwing, Apr 28, 2013.

1. goldwing

goldwing AllStar

Aug 25, 2006
    SW OHIO
    I replaced a owned H20-600 with a owned HR24-500 last month and called to buy a new card and then had to call again to get it activated after receiving the new card and now i see a $5+ tax fee on my bill. Anyone else seen that before? When i ordered the new card i was told i wouldnt need to speak with anyone to activate but that ended up not being true. When i called and started the process to activate it i was auto transfered to a live person for no reason. I was told at the beginning of this process there would be NO added charges to my bill at all. They also added another fee of $3.20 that i cant make heads or tails of. The airlines started this "FEES" stuff and now everyone is doing it.

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Probably your state sales tax added to the purchase of a new card.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    you cannot buy something what belong to the company ... did you read fine print on it ?

4. goldwing

goldwing AllStar

Aug 25, 2006
    SW OHIO
    Well i got alittle info from dtv. The $5 they said was a mistake and was credited. They did add state tax to the card purchase. Come to find out they really messed up and had my owned HR24-500 as a leased and had already set me up with another 2 year commitment even though i went through the Access Card Distribution Team the whole process. I hopefully got that all straighten out now. Heres the real kicker that i would love someone to explain to me. Why is the tax different depending on lease or owned? They told me that a leased box is $6 plus .42 tax for total of $6.42. A owned box is $6 plus .33 tax for total of $6.33. Another question is why pay tax on the access card at all since i never really own it?

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Leased equipment isn't sales tax exempt. As for the different tax rate, I've never broken mine out like that to know, but I don't think taxes were ever meant to make sense.

1 person likes this.
  6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    RIght, back in the days when I used to rent from blockbuster I used to pay a sales tax

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    errr, how you avoiding it now ?! ;)

8. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    The tax rate may be different because some states impose franchise or excise fees on satellite service, which in your state may be applicable to a leased piece of equipment, but not an owned unit. The access card transaction is not for a purchase at all, it is a service fee for the issuance of the card and associated linkage of it to the receiver and your account. Services are subject to sales tax, just like goods.

9. mystic7

mystic7 Icon

Dec 9, 2007
    We're being nickle and dimed to death. I won't even go into the chat I just finished with a Time Warner CSR.

10. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    Are you referring to the taxes being discussed? DirecTV, TWC, etc. has no control over the different tax rates being charged. People in Florida are ones being done the worse with taxes.

11. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    It should have a name next to it. Was it a partial charge for activating a receiver in the middle of the bill cycle?

12. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    if you are referring to the taxes, blame your elected officials.