1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PhoneLine required for Installation?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jasonbrent, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasonbrent

jasonbrent Cool Member

May 25, 2007
    Since the death of Voom I've been using cable... on Monday I should have DTV installed. I realize that a phone connection is necesesary (still!) for PPV shows, but otherwise, is it needed for the installation?

thanks,

-jbl

2. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    I never had a phone line hooked up for my installation and to this day don't have a phone line hooked up to my receivers.

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Phone line connection is not required for an R15, HR20, or H20 receiver. You can always order PPV on-line at D* and it will be active on all your receivers on your acct as long as they are correctly mirrored, which they should be by default.

4. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    :welcome_s to DBStalk

Directv will tell you yes. But unless you want to order PPV from you remote or use the CID you do not have to have one hooked up.

5. jasonbrent

jasonbrent Cool Member

May 25, 2007
    perfect! thanks all - I hope my installation goes smooth.. just finished confirming everything with local installers...

6. Elephanthead

Elephanthead Legend

Feb 3, 2007
    I don't understand why they can make these things so you can conect them to a wireless internet, it seems like it would be cheaper for directv, and could offer so many cooler features, I guess they are just slow. I don't know how many times I would have ordered the mess slopping up rag if I could have done it from my remote, I have a new baby that likes to projectile vomit.

7. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    jasonbrent,
    The installer will still want to connect the phone line....The subcontract system dings his money if they cannot call your receiver....also no on screen caller ID.
    DTV wants to know where your / their receiver is and make it possible for you order PPV stuff.

Joe

8. Skip Towne

Skip Towne Godfather

Dec 20, 2003
    What?

9. SledDog

SledDog Icon

May 5, 2007
    Ok...

So your baby needs to projectile vomit before you can use your remote to purchase PPVs? :grin: Why not call them or order it over the internet? :icon_stup

10. CobraGuy

CobraGuy Godfather

Apr 23, 2007
    Put the pipe down for a while before you post.... :nono2:

11. jasonbrent

jasonbrent Cool Member

May 25, 2007
    Joe,

Hrm. Ding's his money? That's pretty lame. I've not had a "home phone" in nearly 7 years. :)

-jbl

12. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Phone line is needed for:

Caller ID
    PPV with Remote
    Game Lounge
    Certain Sports Packages (very, very rarely enforced, but can change at any time)
    Updates on Tivo based units
    Future features

They also want to make sure that your boxes are where you say they are. Not some at your house, your parents, sister, guy next door, etc.

13. flytank

flytank AllStar

Feb 25, 2007
    I used to be an E* customer and had wireless phone units on all my rooms. When I switched to D* it was just a matter of plug and play and that was it. They have worked flawlessly on the DTV boxes as well.

14. dkouz

dkouz AllStar

May 5, 2007
    The HSP here gets an allowance of 40% 'non-responder.' Which means that 60% of the new boxes that they install must call in within something like a week or two. If they don't meet that rate, I guess D* charges them back somethin fierce.

15. AnonomissX

AnonomissX Godfather

Jun 29, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    The point being, easy ordering with the remote is a knee-jerk reaction that is much more likely to get the sale, vs having to go over to the computer, or call on the phone to order. If you have to take the time to add an extra step, then the customer has time to change their mind about buying the product.

16. agreer

agreer Godfather

Apr 7, 2006
    What about sports pack and subscriptions like ST? is it true that you have to have a land line for pro games on RSNs and local blackout info on subscriptions?

I had someone at a retailer (BB or CC I forget) tell me that without a phone line Sunday ticket would not work at all...true?

17. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Untrue. I have just about all of the sports packages (including ST) and they all work fine w/o a landline. "Officially" they are required, but this hasn't been true in practice.

18. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    No you don't have to have a phone line connected for ST, EI, and the rest of them. I have had ST for years and have never had a problem.

19. jasonbrent

jasonbrent Cool Member

May 25, 2007
    haha. I didn't expect that question to get this much in the way of response. :) I, for any number of reasons, do not believe in giving local telephone companies money (at least directly!) for their overpriced land lines.. so I use a cell phone exclusively.

Well, that's a partial lie... I've got a vonage line at the house for the wife, but I certainly don't care to tell the DTV installer that... nor would I expect an analog modem (timing sensitive) to work well over a potentially latent and lossy digital connection.

I don't care to order PPV, have Sunday ticket, have Caller ID, play with the Game Lounge (that's what the ps3, xbox, etc are for), etc.

In fact, I strongly believe that the decision to still require (i.e., "need" or "desire") an analog phone line connected to the "latest and greatest" in digital television service to be significantly short sighted suggesting that the engineering organization is monolithic at best.

With all that said, I'm looking forward to getting DTV installed tomorrow and intend to just pass the installer $20-40 bucks to hook up my channel master and leave me alone about the (lack of a) telephone line.

:)

-jbl

20. agreer

agreer Godfather

Apr 7, 2006
    I dont plan to have a land line, it comes down to this, either I can pay ATT $50 and D* $50/mo or I could forget the landlines and get a big package and some sports...glad to know that they will work with me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.