1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pic quality on ccs coax

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by elestek, Jul 30, 2010.

Tags:
  1. elestek

elestek New Member

Jul 30, 2010
    I've had my service for about 4 months now and have been satisfied thus far. Cust Svc is great..HD selection etc all great. I did notice one issue has come up lately and it's getting worse. The pic quality in general seems to have degraded over the past few months & pixelation has started about a month ago. I have a buddy who is an in house tech for D* who mentioned that solid copper conductor is much better suited for D* setups..especially new installs. I did confirm that it is indeed copper clad steel. All the wire that was existing was reused from the cable co install. Is it possible that over time, this copper clad steel has become a problem? Thx for any help! :)

2. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    As I understand it, CCS coax won't affect the quality of your picture as it will transmit the sat signal the same as solid copper. The issue with CCS is that it has a much larger voltage drop through the cable. This is important because the LNB on your dish uses voltage supplied from a power inserter (or your receivers) to operate. Too much voltage drop and it won't work at all.

I would check your satellite signal levels first. It could just be that your dish is slightly out of alignment.

3. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Go Beavs is right on. The solid copper is better for conducting DC. What kind of setup do you have SWM or legacy? With a legacy setup and longer cable runs SCC is really the way to go. SWM is more forgiving as you can place the PI close to the LNB or SWM switch and it's strictly an RF game downstream (the RF portion works just fine on CCS. )

Take a look at your dish alignment and snug any loose connections. You can also check outdoor connections for corrosion as this is always a possible culprit.

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    If CCS was a problem, it would give you the following symptoms:

- Missing transponders (in a legacy system, you'd only get half the transponders), or
    - No sat signal at all (in a SWM system, with insufficient voltage arriving to the SWM switch).

Both of those are power/voltage issues.

The satellite signal will successfully pass through the cable for MUCH longer distances then where you'd start having voltage problems. Thus, for that reason and others, it is not possible for CCS cable to affect picture quality in any way. You either have it or you don't.

5. elestek

elestek New Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Thank you all for the replies very much appreciated! It is a SWM system. I actually checked the line in the garage and found a loose barrel splice that was feeding the DVR, tightened it up and all seems to be working fine now! Now just need to grab an HR24 and I'll be set! :D

6. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    Although a loose barrel could indeed cause picture breakup or lower signal levels; that is/was not the cause of your degraded picture quality issue. Picture is decoded and quality is determined at the IRD itself and how it is connected to the TV (composite, component or hdmi). If you truely see a differance in picture then I'd look to the IRD, cable set being used or the TV to find your solution for that aspect of the problem you described.