1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picked up a new Wing from T-mobile

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Doug Brott, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The company that I work for was acquired recently by a different company. In the smaller company in which I managed 100% of the IT needs, I was able to successfully utilize a Blackberry for half the company. The new company unfortunately does not have a Blackberry Server and their security policies prevent me from forwarding mail outside to my phone company Blackberry Server.

As a result, I decided to pick up a Wing from T-mobile. The good news is that I can now use the SlingPlayer Mobile on my phone :) I'll reserve judgment as to whether or not I'll like the Wing better than the Blackberry. So far I think I'm gonna miss the Blackberry, but I need a Microsoft powered phone so that I can get E-mail with the new company ...

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Congrats Doug! I know Tom's got an earlier variant of that device and so does the Shadow household! I suspect that you'll like it a lot, as long as you keep a charger handy.

When our contract is up we're considering getting a pair of Sony XPERIAs with whatever non-Sprint carrier ends up with them.

3. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    I looked very closely at the Wing. Was all set to buy, but the manager of the local store said it was slower than the MDA (my phone.) More software with only a tiny improvement in CPU made the overall slower. :(

Hoping there will be a newer update soon, as my MDA will not last too much longer. I was the first person in the store the morning it came out. :)

And the MDA needs an IE upgrade.

Cheers,
    Tom

4. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    All Windows Mobile devices need an IE upgrade... in the meantime there's Opera and Skyfire.

5. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Maybe I'll check out one of those .. I haven't noticed much of an issue with the IE on the phone that I have, but in general, I use Firefox and try my best to stay away from IE :)

6. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    This is my biggest fear :( .. I typically charge my phone nightly .. even after two years my Blackberry still worked very well with this setup. If I can make it 24 hours with normal use then all will be fine.

7. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    After 1 year, the Cingular 8525 must be charged after 12 hours of uptime or under 2 hours of talk or internet. I would buy a spare battery now if you're going to use it for business. I might recommend www.pocketsolutions.com, they were exceptionally good to work with.

8. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I'll take that under advisement :) .. Fortunately I picked it up for $49.99 (after $50 rebate) so the cost is not too bad .. I also only had to commit to one year. The kicker is that I had to get a new line and with my previous contract ending in one month I have to pay at least $9.99 extra in service and can only hope to arrange for dropping the extra line at that point or the phone cost will go up over the next 12 months. I do want to keep my same phone number, so that is the big kicker..

If I'm really lucky, then in 12 months there will be a killer phone that operates on 3G and I can move to that, but T-Mobile continues to have issues with being able to deliver 3G (licensing problems).

I hope it turns into a "love" relationship and not a "love/hate" relationship with the new phone :lol:

9. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    My MDA seems to have a nice battery time after almost 2 years depending on how much I have wi-fi or blue-tooth on. Couple hours of GPRS most days without problems.

With no usage, couple days of uptime still leaves me a fair amount of talk time.

Cheers,
    Tom

10. cclement

cclement Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Is that the reason they still don't have 3G. Won't they have to use HDSPA?

11. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Apparently the Government didn't give up the frequencies when they were supposed to .. as a result, T-mobile cannot use the range even though technically they are already licensed to do so .. something about public safety or something, but T-mobile (and it's customers) are at the mercy of the situation :(.

12. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I've used the phone for a week and I still like the Blackberry better .. I haven't switched back yet :) and likely won't because I still need to get E-mail from my company.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.