1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Picture breakups on CW network?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JerryMeeker, Jan 23, 2013.

1. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Is it just my setup, or are there more picture breakups on the CW network than on other networks? I record Nikita, and it is usually laced with breakups. I have tried both the satellite signal, and OTA. Could the problem be with my local CW station?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    It's certainly a local station issue if you're seeing the "breakups" on both DirecTV and off-air recordings.

3. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Well, I would hesitate to go quite that far; those could be quite separate and different paths. It could be a reception issue for local, a reception issue for DTV (whatever feeds their uplink center), and/or both. It could even be local terrestrial interference at your receive site. It is obviously not CW itself, although the local CW station in my market has a lot of weird little short audio dropouts, and always has (which I assume is the station). One would have to assume that engineering in this market is sophisticated enough to not have the station signal breaking up for all viewers. Hard to stay employed that way.

Best thing to do is post this issue in the reception forum for your city over at AVS. But all that would really do is confirm or uncomfirm a common issue.

4. pappasbike

pappasbike Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    If you're seeing the issue on the off the air signal as well, that would be the station's problem. However the CW on DTV has had problems for a long time. Currently I'm watching and recording Arrow on that network. I had also watched Smallville and later the LA Complex on the network. All those shows have at least one period of breakup/picture freeze during the broadcast. I've now learned to ignore it. It's been reported many times and DTV is aware of it. Fortunately it only happens once or twice during each broadcast but it does happen every time without exception. ABC on DTV had the problem at one time with the Lost show, it also had an instance of this every broadcast. That's been corrected. I'm no longer seeing this on any of the regular networks except for the CW.

I've spoken to local station engineers and they've admitted to certain issues in the past with the equipment that takes their feeds to DTV. One of the worst issues in Baltimore a couple of years ago was what is now called the MNT network ( my network television ). Picture/audio breakups were constant all day long. This went on for a year or two. I spoke to DTV and they have a list of problem stations which this one was on. They said their engineers were working on the issue but it took more than two years to correct it. Fortunately there is very little I watch on that network. So it could be a while before the CW issue is resolved, it's not a local station issue, I've spoken to others that use DTV to watch the network in other locations on different channels and they get the same occurrences on the programs I mentioned. But again if you're seeing it off the air as well you might consider looking up that station and sending an email to the station engineer. They usually respond quickly, you can even use Twitter.