1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Picture Distortion issues with my R22

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mkdtv21, May 5, 2011.

1. mkdtv21

mkdtv21 Legend

May 27, 2007
    I have an R22 that does not have hd activated on it since I have the old 3 lnb dish. I just hooked up a new LG 1080P 120 HZ lcd tv through hdmi to the R22. The picture looks fine even though I don't have hd but I seem to be getting little distortion issues. Like when I hit info and the text has a ghosting affect sometimes especially at night or when there are small words moving by on the channel they turn red. Also when there is fast motion of certain things it creates a rainbow effect in front of the picture. I know I would probably have issues like this on an old CRT tv but I am using a new lcd tv with hdmi so I wouldn't think this would be happening. But I play bluray dvds and google tv and they all look fine on the tv except the R22. So could anyone explain if its a faulty dvr or if there is something I can do to fix this.

Thanks

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Try hooking up with component cables and see if you have the same issue. If so, it is most likely due to the fact that you have an SD picture on such a high resolution TV. Basically, you are seeing how bad the SD picture is.

- Merg

3. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    The "rainbow" may be NTSC dot crawl or something similar. IOW, artifacts from SD are much more noticeable on a HD set. And it is more than just that the picture is bigger (and therefore fuzzier looking); CRTs had the ability to make SD pix look sharper than they actually were, due to an innate ability to "ring" the video, which acted somewhat like an image enhancer. They also masked certain artifacts, which are faithfully reproduced on a HD set. Of course it may also be inferior performance of the R22. Also, SD DVDs will actually look pretty good on a HD set, while NTSC channels will not. DVDs have few artifacts and resolution (although SD-limited) is good, while there are plenty of nutty artifacts and poor rez in NTSC channels (although ironically some SD is much better than it was because much of the production chain is HD quality or at least digital quality).