1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture Freeze

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by fortinjlf, May 25, 2008.

1. fortinjlf

fortinjlf Mentor

Mar 15, 2007
    I am a proud owner of a second 622. Had the first one about 18 mos. and no trouble until the dreaded HDMI failure a couple weeks ago. New unit received. All goes well until this eve.
    While watching Sci Fi HD, the picture suddenly froze. Nothing could bring it back to life - no response on ANY remote command. Did a soft reboot. Worked fine for about 10 min. Same thing. Another soft reboot. Same results.
    Could this be a heat issue? Are these symptoms typical, or could some other type of malice be afoot? The unit is in a cabinet w/glass front doors, a 6 in. clearance on top to the bottom of the upper shelf, and a medium size vent hole in back of the upper shelf. The only other unit enclosed is a PS3 on the top shelf ( it has been off for over a week). This set up had worked fine for the other unit.
    High temp indicated 141 and avg temp 127. I'll try a hard reboot later this eve.
    Any help/info?

2. Ken Green

Ken Green Hall Of Fame

Oct 6, 2005
    Sure sounds like a classic heat issue. Your "high temp" is a bit higher than normal. I'd recommend some sort of cooling device. As a test, you could try leaving the glass doors open for a couple of days, and see if the issue subsides.

3. fortinjlf

fortinjlf Mentor

Mar 15, 2007
    After the nonsuccessful soft reboots, I did a hard reboot, leaving it off for about an hour. No problems since. I have left the doors open as "test" to seee if there is any effect.
    What exactly do the numbers in the diagnostics tell you ? That is, how long a time period is covered by " high temp" and "avg temp"? is it one day, since the installation, since the unit was last turned on, or what?
    By the way, I have another 622 in another part of the house out in the open, and the symptoms did not appear on it - high temp 125, avg temp 111.
    Thanks a bunch.

4. debpasc

debpasc Legend

Oct 20, 2005
    My 622 runs about as hot as yours and is behind glass doors on top of a CD/DVD player. The 622 is slightly elevated with 1/2" or so round discs (felt floor protector pads for furniture) under each foot. I open the glass doors when I go to bed and leave them open overnight. Mine is one of the first 622s distributed and I have had no problems so far -- knock, knock.

5. Ken Green

Ken Green Hall Of Fame

Oct 6, 2005
    I don't know if/when the high temp resets. What I can tell you is, mine has never gone down, which would indicate it to be a lifetime reading, but not sure.
    125° is about the normal average for a high temp reading.
    You may want to have a look at one of THESE, many here use them to help extract the hot air out of the cabinet.