1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture in Picture

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DirectMan, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Aug 9, 2010 #1 of 12
    DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    In the transcript of the 2Q Conference Call CEO Michael White is quoted as "We're looking at picture in picture." GREAT!

I read some posts in the past which indicated that it would be difficult/impossible? to set that up with existing D* equipment - does the newer HR-24 / H-24 equipment have this capability if enabled?

2. Aug 9, 2010 #2 of 12
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    No, the newer H24/HR24 do not have PIP.

3. Aug 9, 2010 #3 of 12
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I think he's asking if the HR24s are technologically able to do PiP.

4. Aug 9, 2010 #4 of 12
    DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    Yes could a system or software upgrade by D* enable PIP or is there some chip or board level capability missing in the current equipment for PIP. Thus could PIP be a one year away possibility or maybe never with existing equipment? I would think that a DVR would have the dual tuner requirement for PIP.

5. Aug 9, 2010 #5 of 12
    Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    How exactly would PiP work?! :confused:

~Alan

6. Aug 9, 2010 #6 of 12
    AMike

AMike Godfather

Nov 21, 2005
    I'm going to speculate that the dual tuner might be how this could work. I would doubt that a single tuner would work. The receiver might have the ability to put both tuner feeds on the screen. Perhaps the receiver software could control which feed you are able to hear.

I would love to see this if it is possible. I currently have PIP on my plasma with 2 separate HD receivers. This works just fine for me, but it would be nice to eliminate one receiver for PIP.

7. Aug 9, 2010 #7 of 12
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    It would put one channel in a small box overlayed onto another channel, or both perhaps both channels side by side.

8. Aug 9, 2010 #8 of 12
    dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    While the chipset may not natively support PIP, I see no reason that a small video from the second tuner - like the Picture in Guide, couldn't be programmed.

There were many that said we'd never get double play but . . .

I have P&P (side by side - varying sizes) supported by the TV and 2 dvrs. Very useful with football or busy news / sports days.

9. Aug 9, 2010 #9 of 12
    Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    Maybe a 2 way mix channel where I could specify the stations. They already have the mix channels today. Now all they would need to do is convert those into a 2 way that uses the tuners in the box instead of a dedicated feed from DTV.

10. mikeak

mikeak New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    They have 2 tuners in the box

They have the ability to make a small picture in the upper corner (when you use the guide etc)

They have the ability to have both tuners active at the same time (double-play)

Now it would "just" be about overlaying the smaller picture on the big picture. Question is if we would live with it as going over that part of the picture (I say yes) or they need to "shrink" the original picture as well

11. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You give far too much credit to the CPU in a DVR. It doesn't have the horsepower to decode and render a video stream, much less scale it. That must be done in hardware.

The HR21-3 lack the secondary decode functionality necessary to put two motion video streams on the screen at once. PIG is not a valid comparison as it uses a dedicated character generator to render text and static graphics. The HR20, on the other hand, has two rendering facilities as well as a character generator just like that used in the DISH ViP series that does feature PIP.

12. skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17 Godfather

Jun 23, 2010
    I would think the HR24 would be able to do it with a software update. It has double play which seems like a similar idea to PiP. My old could cable DVR could do PiP is the HR24 has got to be far more powerful that that.