1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture looks like stretched out from C31

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Mellentown, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Mellentown

Mellentown New Member

Jul 22, 2013
    Just had the service installed and everything is good except the picture from C31 box. On the old tv we have it looks like the picture is stretched vertically. It's an old tube TV and is using the composite input.

I have played around with it and have yet to find how to fix it. Is it because its tuning an HD channel and spitting it out as SD? If that's the case, is there a way to tune to the SD channels with the C31?

Thanks
    mel

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Go into Setup, Display, Preferences and set "Guide HD Channels" to Show all channels. Then select the SD version of the channel.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Since the guide and everything else is going to be messed up, watching the SD versions probably isn't going to help much.

I'm betting you need to go into setup mode and configure the Mini for 4:3 mode.

Did you move (or change TVs on) the Mini from where it was originally installed or was it set up wrong by the installer?

In this day and age, "old tube TV" could mean a lot of things. I have a tube TV that my nieces call "old" that is a 1080i wide screen model.

4. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    When you say "stretched out" you mean you have black bars on top and bottom of the screen? If so the ratio is set to 4:3 which is the correct way. you can set it to 16:9 by then you would have bars on the left and right. There is no way to set the guide to "show SD duplicates" on the client ONLY. it must be done at the Genie which would affect all TV in the Genie/client system. your options are to get used to the format or buy an HD TV

5. Mellentown

Mellentown New Member

Jul 22, 2013
    I looks like the old CinemaScope effect where heads look narrow and long.
    The client is set for 4:3.
    The set is an old philips magnavox. It's from before 1080p was ever thought of for a home tv :)

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    My friend was having that problem with her old CRT on a Genie.
    I had her tune to the SD version of the channel and now she says the picture is normal and fits the screen.

7. Mellentown

Mellentown New Member

Jul 22, 2013
    That's what it was. I'm working on a favorites list for that tv.
    How do you tell which locals are sd? Some have an A3 beside them and others don't but none say hd beside them.

8. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    The local channels marked "A3" are MPEG-4 and usually HD, others not so marked are MPEG-2 and always SD. Occasionally you may have an SD local in MPEG-4 (have two here in the LA market) and thus labeled A3 as well. The only way to be sure in that case is to put your client's display settings on "native" with all resolutions selected and then tune to the channel and note it's received resolution.

You also don't necessarily need to use the SD channels, but place the client's display setting on 4:3 and un-check all HD resolutions leaving only 480i and/or "p" if you want. Then select "letterbox" or "crop" as the format setting from the remote.

You may find that a down-converted HD channel has better PQ than DIRECTV's over-compressed low resolution SD feeds, even on an old 480i tube type set.

9. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    And you may find for a couple hundred buck that it's worth it to buy a smallish HD TV!