1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Picture quality HR34 v HR44

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by raromr, Sep 18, 2013.

1. raromr

raromr Legend

Jun 24, 2010
    I recently swapped a 34 for a 44. For some reason the picture on the 44 seems washed out a bit more than the 34 I had. DTV replaced the 44 several times but still same issue. All settings are correct and no tv or HDMI issue. I tried to get a 34 back but they said no dice. Anybody experience this? Is there a way to get a 34 short of buying one online.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk m

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Someone's complaining about the "faster than a speeding bullet" HR44 and want's to go back to a HR34? :eek2: I need to go lay down!......Joking aside, there are three models of the HR44 (HR44-200, HR44-500, and HR44-700). Were the one's assigned you the same model? Are you sure your TV settings weren't altered?

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Just adjust your TV and be done with it.

1 person likes this.
  4. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    I'm curious what model HR44 did you get. I recently got a new HR44-500 and can see no difference in picture quality between that and my two HR21-700s.

5. Hotelone

Hotelone Cool Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Central...
    I've had both and noticed no difference in PQ, both were excellent.

6. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    Dumb question but in switching the HMCs did you change inputs? Depending on your TV individual inputs may have different picture settings.

Did you perhaps go from direct connection to thru an AVR? if the AVR's video upscaling is on it may have a tendency to view as you have described.

I have seen these HMCs side by side and there is no visible differences in PQ that I could see.

Don "course my guide dog got a bit fussy at the time :)" Bolton

7. raromr

raromr Legend

Jun 24, 2010
    It is the 44-200. No change in setup at all. Sorry but pix quality is different. Scoff if you must but rather than be flippant (some people) just don't respond. Just trying to get feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk m

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Have you contemplated that the trusty old HR34 might be the errant device if all of the HR44s have performed identically to each other?

9. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    What TV do you have? By any chance is it a Plasma?

10. piper28

piper28 Cool Member

Sep 18, 2007
    I don't know about the comparison between an hr44 and 34, but I would definitely say that the picture quality in the menus doesn't look as good on the hr44 as it does on my older hr22 or hr20 receivers. Font's especially aren't as well defined, and while I can't point to anything else specific, there's just a "not quite there" element to the picture on the screen. Part of me thinks this is true for the tv picture too, not just the menus, but it's tough to quantify, and at least for me, if it's there, it's not enough to be a problem. (I do find the weak fonts to be annoying compared to what they were on the other boxes though).

11. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Visual memory is very tricky......

12. Hotelone

Hotelone Cool Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Central...
    I agree about the menu fonts. They're more jagged and ill-defined. But they were the same way on my ill-fated HR34.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

13. Rtm

Rtm Godfather

Oct 18, 2011
    LMAO

14. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Humor is good, but what's so funny?

15. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    Only time I saw this was when the old HR24-500 output RGB because they stupidly used the NXP chip...