1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture quality probably won't improve 1 bit post merger

Discussion in 'Archive' started by -, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Guest

This last Charile Chat was the final nail in the coffin for any hope to ever improve the picture quality on standard def Dish network channels.
    If you watched the last chat, it became very clear that the extra bandwidth from the merger would be used to get local channels for 100+ markets in the USA.
    Let's say that after must carry the average city has 10 local channels on Dish. That would mean that after the merger there might be 1000 or more local channels taking up bandwidth and reducing picture quality for all standard def channels on Dish Network.
    It doesn't matter how much bandwidth "The New Echostar" has, they'll probably just use that bandwidth to add more markets with local channels and and more shopping channels. If you're the kind of person that really thinks that Echostar will ever improve the picture quality on standard def channels back to a reasonable level, then I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who'd like to sell you a certain bridge.
    Here are 2 screencaps, and each of these pictures is worth a thousand words.
    Notice all the new markets Charlie wants to add local channels to. Keep in mind that must carry will also effect these new markets as well.
    We're talking possibly about 1000 or more bandwidth consuming local channels on "The New Echostar"

ealbum.geofoto.com/storag...re_20.jpeg

Here's a screencap that shows you what advantages extra bandwidth from the merger could have.
    ealbum.geofoto.com/storag...re_21.jpeg

Have you noticed that it doesn't mention improving picture and sound quality anywhere?

2. Guest

I agree with you. It's too bad but unfortunately most people are still watching 27" TV's and smaller where DBS looks good. Also, DBS has always favored quantity rather than quality. Don't fear though. As HDTV and higher resolution video becomes more prominent, this frivolous use of bandwidth will come back and bite them in the ass.

3. Guest

Nothing like going into panic mode well ahead of time. There are several problems with your theory.

Quote: "If you watched the last chat, it became very clear that the extra bandwidth from the merger would be used to get local channels for 100+ markets in the USA."

Yep, he did say that. That is the only way that he can go against cable on a national basis. That is also the only way that the merger would have any chance of being approved. He HAS to add more local DMA's to get the rural communities behind his plans.

Quote: "Let's say that after must carry the average city has 10 local channels on Dish. That would mean that after the merger there might be 1000 or more local channels taking up bandwidth and reducing picture quality for all standard def channels on Dish Network."

You are forgetting spot beam satellites which will go a long way in providing the bandwidth for the extra locals on the combined systems. With the spot beam birds, many of the DMA's being transmitted will be deleted from the national feeds, freeing up even more bandwidth. 1000 channels of locals should not be a problem with the combined bandwidth AND the combined assets.

You are also forgetting that DTV already has 40+ of the biggest DMA's on their system (Dish also has most of those). So, they already have the vast majority (if not all) of any DMA's with 10+ stations that could claim any right to must carry. Any DMA's that are not on the birds alread DO NOT have 10 stations that would be carried and the number of stations per DMA fall off rapidly once the smaller markets are accounted for, dropping the average number of stations per DMA rapidly also. I am in the West Palm Beach DMA. WPB is already on DTV (but not Dish) and there is NO WAY that WPB has 10 channels that would make it for must carry. I suspect that nearly every city below WPB (approx. #43 in the ratings?) is the same. Of the list of cities to be added, I doubt that ANY have 10 channels.

Quote: "It doesn't matter how much bandwidth "The New Echostar" has, they'll probably just use that bandwidth to add more markets with local channels and and more shopping channels."

Come on, get real. There are not enough shopping channels that are not carried to have any effect on picture quality, especially once the merger is done and the spotbeams are up.

Quote: "If you're the kind of person that really thinks that Echostar will ever improve the picture quality on standard def channels back to a reasonable level, then I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who'd like to sell you a certain bridge."

If you are as eager to sell a good working bridge as you are to attack the merger, then I just might want to take you up on it. I swear that some people just like to panic.

<snip>
    Quote: "We're talking possibly about 1000 or more bandwidth consuming local channels on "The New Echostar" "

You have no idea of what you are talking about. I suggest that before you go bonkers over this that you put some work into this and do an inventory of channels in those DMA's.

I just did an inventory of channels carried on the local cable system here that would be able to claim must carry. I came up with a total of 8 channels (not counting local gov't. channels, LPTV, etc. which are not able to claim must carry). Those eight channels include: WXEL-2 (PBS), WPTV-4 (NBC), WTVX-6 (UPN), WOPX-7 (PAX-- might not do Must Carry), WFLX-8 (Fox), WPBF-9 (ABC), WPEC-12 (CBS), Even adding LPTV to the list would add maybe 2 channels bringing the number in WPB to 10. Most below WPB in the DMA rankings will have many less than 10.

Suggestion: WAIT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS BEFORE YOU PANIC!!! You will live much happier and longer with this great stress removed from your life.

4. Guest

The article in the "More Hurdles" thread states that there are 1500 local channels. It also states that some feel that current technology already makes this "doable." Spotbeams are part of the equation, but the other part is of course continued compression.

5. Guest

for many companies, that once a customer is used to a certain level or lack of level of service, it is good if the level can be maintained with less resources used.

To use CSRs as an example:
    If you have x many CSRs and you introduce something that makes them much more productive so the wait time is reduced, then you reduce the # of staff so that you are at the same level of wait time you were at before,or a little better, maybe. thus reducing costs but maintaining the status quo.

So it isn't beyond belief that Dish would use their increased bandwidth to increase # of locals, and not get any benefit in PQ.

But it isn't a sure bet in either direction, best thing to do is take a wait and see attitude.