1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture quality using Flat Panel TV with old RCA receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by CharlotteBuckeye62, Jan 17, 2011.

1. CharlotteBuckeye62

CharlotteBuckeye62 New Member

Jul 21, 2006
    I've been using my old RCA receiver (silver in color) with an old big box TV for much of my 15 years with Directv.
    I recently got a second LD 26inch flat panel to use beside the old box but an using an antenna to get local Hi Def. Works great.
    I recently replaced the big box with another LG 26 flat screen. I'm using this setup thru a DVD/VCR combo.
    I also have a DVR in another location connected directly to a 32 inch LG.
    I get a great picture here but the new one connected thru the combo using the 8 years old RCA is kind of fuzzy. (I've made several adjustments to the LG but no improvement)
    Do you all think the problem lies with the old RCA receiver or the combo, which is new, or a combination of the two?
    Would a new standard Directv receiver to replace the RCA help?
    I'm thinking of switching the two LGs which are beside each other to see if it might be the TV that is the problem but I don't think so.
    Any idas?

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Time for a new DirecTV receiver. :)
    Might as well go with an HD model.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    First off, an SD picture on an HDTV is going to look lousy, period. It's going to look worse if you are connecting the receiver using coax, and even worse if you're running that coax through the tuner on a VCR. IMO, you are cheating yourself by not having HD service on your HDTVs.

Anyway, if you get a set of composite video cables
    [​IMG]
    and hook the sat receiver directly to the TV's Video inputs, you're going to get about as good of picture quality as is going to be possible from DirecTV using an SD receiver (a new SD receiver won't look any better). If you can live with that, great. If not, it's time for HD.

4. CharlotteBuckeye62

CharlotteBuckeye62 New Member

Jul 21, 2006
    My thanks to both of you, your info helped me a lot.
    I had been using RCA cables but not good ones. I replaced them and saw a good improvement.

5. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Do you like the picture you get on the LG TVs when using OTA?
    If so, then you need a DirecTV HD receiver. :D
    This would require a new DirecTV dish as well.
    Call DirecTV and see what kind of deals they can offer you!

6. mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
    I agree. You NEED a HD BOX to have ANY SORT OF GOOD PICTURE on a HDTV.