1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture Quality

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by somguy, Jun 25, 2008.

1. somguy

somguy Legend

Oct 2, 2006
    Tamarac,FL
    I have been with Directv for 5 years and now that I have DISH I have noticed my SD channels have ghosting/image issues. There has definitely been a loss of Picture Quality; both on our 625 and especially on our 722 with L4.49 software since this one is connected to my HDTV. Directv definitely IMHO had better SD Picture Quality.
    Is it me, do I need some fine tuning or do others agree?
    There should be no need to adjust anything on my tv; I left it alone from making the switch so DISH should have the same pic.
    Have others out there had both companies and do you agree or disagree?
    I value your opinion and thank you for reading my psot.

2. Nitro

Nitro Cool Member

Jun 17, 2008
    I am in the same boat. I was with Directv for 4 years and just got dish. I too noticed that Directv had superior SD image quality.

I can't tell if it is a poor quality video scaler in the 722 (for goodness sake dish, just update the 622/722 to do native video out!), or if the quality coming from dish is just that much worse.

At least directv let me use MY OWN video scaler so I can rule out the scaler being at fault.

I haven't even looked at tv on the second output of the 722 so I can't comment on SD on an SDTV.

3. himini

himini Mentor

Feb 12, 2007
    I've never had Direct, but my brother does and we have the same TV. Picture quality with Dish is clearly inferior for both SD and HD broadcasts.