1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Picture Quality?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mjferguson, Mar 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjferguson

mjferguson Legend

Feb 3, 2004
    My main concern is always PQ. How will this unit compare to the HTL-HD and HD300. I watch a lot of SD along with HD and want the picture quality to be outstanding just like the two mentioned above if I shell out $900. Recording is great, but PQ is #1 on my list.

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I see no reason why the PQ wouldn't be as good as the other HD receivers. At least for the DirecTV side of the unit. The OTA tuners should be good as well, but there will be an mpeg conversion to store it onto the hard drive, like the standalone TiVos. So there may be a little degradation in PQ. This is all conjecture at this point.

3. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I agree. The PQ should be just fine. The difference (if any) would probably be negligible.

4. FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver All Star/Supporter

Dec 3, 2002
    On the road...
    I don't think so. My understanding is that the unit will record the OTA digital bitstream, just like it does for the sat channels, so there should be no PQ changes at all. This is different than the standalone Tivo units, which have to do a conversion from analog signal to digital. HD broadcasts are already digital.

joe

5. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Okay, I can buy that. I'm still in an analog state of mind when it comes to OTA. :)

6. Snakeyes

Snakeyes Guest

While the HR10-250 has excellent quality there is an appreciable difference in picture quality on a high-end wide screen system . The difference was enough for me to add back the HD receiver for normal viewing keeping the HR10-250 for recording and occasional use when I need to use the pause/playback functions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.