1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pictures goes blank for 1-2 Seconds

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by JackDobiash, Sep 28, 2008.

1. JackDobiash

JackDobiash Legend

Jul 20, 2005
    For the past week or so both my 622 and 722 have had this really strange issue, so far only noticed on premium channels (i'll start keeping track of it better) where the picture goes blank for 1-2 seconds, still has audio, them comes back. It doesn't pixelate or anything, just blanks out and comes right back. It's actually recorded into the stream, as it will playback the 'blank' as well if I rewind.

So, anyone else had this issue? It might just be the programming itself, I'll start keeping better track of it but it seems like so far it has only been premium channels doing it.

2. Ken Green

Ken Green Hall Of Fame

Oct 6, 2005
    Generally speaking, but not always, if an issue is captured on the recording, it is stream related.

That does not mean the issue is not within your dish system. For example, if you come to find out, all of the channels experiencing the issue are transmitted from the same orbital and/or transponder, the issue could be with your dish antenna point, LNB, or cabling for that particular orbital location.

3. Hardin Thicke

Hardin Thicke AllStar

Jun 18, 2008
    Yes, I've been experiencing the same thing. As yours, mine only happens on recorded HBO movies. Fine on other channels. It seems to have started last week some time.

4. mercator1

mercator1 Mentor

Sep 11, 2008
    It's amazing to me that these kinds of issues are tolerated. I've had several DirecTV/Tivo units, and never once had sound or picture dropouts. What's with Dish?

5. JackDobiash

JackDobiash Legend

Jul 20, 2005
    Ah-ha, I found this thread in the HD General forum, seems to be either a software or source issue:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=140198

6. AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie Icon

Jul 27, 2004
    I’ve been seeing this problem with just about all SAT delivered HD content, both live and recorded ~ though the recorded version does not exactly mimic the live occurrence. That leads me to think that they may have a newly introduced problem (ala Turbo-ware updates) in their render engine or stream management logics. Most frequently the Starz premium channels are affected, but no HD content seems to be immune. I also see that some posters are starting to report about the same problem occuring with OTA HD content as well (I personally don’t use OTA so can’t comment on it).

The problem has been ongoing since Dish began sending out the Turbo version software releases about a month ago. I for one noticed it right away, but for some reason many are only now starting to report about it. Hopefully now that they are Dish will finally get the message and begin working on a fix.

So...Let’s get it fixed Dish… :lol:

7. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    I am also seeing this issue and I don't think it is TurboHD related. I have seen it both on OTA and HD content. I saw it last night on Fringe and the other night during Hereos. Hereos was recorded OTA content. Definitely feels like a source issues since I can rewind and it replies at the same time all the time, but given it appears in both OTA and Sat content for me I don't think it is stream related and appears to be something introduced with L6.14 but I could be wrong.

8. AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie Icon

Jul 27, 2004
    Source issues with all these ~ both SAT and OTA? And that it coincides with the recent Turbo SW releases? I suppose so...But I'm still more inclined to believe that they've messed up some part of the firmware in the receivers. ;)

I'd be curious to hear if anyone is seeing this problem on a non-turbo firmware receiver... Anybody still left out there with an old 921 who's also seeing this blanking problem? :confused:

9. fwampler

fwampler Legend

Dec 2, 2005
    My 622 does this about once a week for maybe a fraction of a second. Not too bad.