1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

PIP is not working on hr34

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by damie45, Sep 30, 2013.

Tags:
  1. damie45

damie45 New Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Lately I've been having issues with my dvr. I'm unable to turn on PIP, when I select it doesn't do anything. I called directv customer support and the csr is telling me that its because I'm using too much of the storage space. At the time I called, I had 30% free. Now I got it to 75% free and still no dice.
    Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.
    Also when I try to turn pip, the receiver lock the remote out,only the power button works. I have to turn it off and on for it respond again.

2. Oct 1, 2013 #2 of 17
    Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Have you tried a menu reset or red button reboot? Those are always good first steps.

3. Oct 1, 2013 #3 of 17
    damie45

damie45 New Member

Dec 15, 2011
    I've tried resetting it several times. I'm running out of ideas and directv csr is no help

4. Oct 1, 2013 #4 of 17
    JasTay4224

JasTay4224 New Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Storage space has no impact on the PIP feature. Need more details, since the PIP uses a tuner to create the PIP... Do you have Mini's running... Do you have recordings going...

Simply put...

Of the 5 (TV's) built into the Genie... Are you using more than 3 when trying to activate PIP..

IE: Watching two clients and recording two shows...

Just an example... I hope this helps...

Otherwise it could honestly be a technical failure with your receiver.

5. Oct 1, 2013 #5 of 17
    damie45

damie45 New Member

Dec 15, 2011
    I have no clients and nothing is recording. At first I thought this was the problem, but only one recording was going. I even tried when no recordings going, still nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

6. Oct 1, 2013 #6 of 17
    texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    Just a long shot, but this might be an IR interference issue from the TV. Where this problem exists, the interference comes from the backlight power supply. With certain types of picture content, the interference can be higher, and often results in the situation where only the power button on the remote will work.
    Is your remote RF capable - the model number will have an R at the end and there will be an FCC sticker on the back. If so, follow the instructions and switch the remote to RF.
    If you don't have an RF remote, try putting some blue painters tape over the HR34 IR receiver - that often works! Or just move the HR34 to a slightly different location, away from the TV.
    As a check, do the following. Get the system into the "locked up" state. Power the Tv off at the wall. Select "guide" on the remote. Power the TV up, and see if the guide is displayed. If it is, you've got IR interference - the remote is working fine when the Tv is off..

You can buy an RF-capable remote from DirecTv or places like Solid signal if you don't have one.

7. Oct 1, 2013 #7 of 17
    Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Sounds like your software is partial corrupted, if it does nothing when you select PIP/ON..

First do a double red button reset.

If still no PIP, do a force download of software with the 0-2-4-6-8. This can be tricky on some Genies. But on my HR34-700, I do the key entries in a firm, but rapidly fashion, as soon as the blue screen appears.

8. Oct 1, 2013 #8 of 17
    DB Stalker

DB Stalker New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Tooele, UT
    Its tricky on genies because they're faster than older boxes and get past the "hello" screen faster than the handshake with the TV (in some cases). To account for the speed, start your 0-2-4-6-8 sequence as soon as you see the light I indicating the resolution come on. This can sometimes be several seconds before you get any picture on the tv.

#)

9. Oct 2, 2013 #9 of 17
    damie45

damie45 New Member

Dec 15, 2011
    I'm gonna try this tonight

10. damie45

damie45 New Member

Dec 15, 2011
    I've just download the software and still nothing. I did noticed that the remote doesn't get locked out until the banner disappear. I can still maneuver each tab, but if I hit exit after trying to turn the PIP on it stop working or when the banner disappear by itself. After the banner is gone, only the button works on the remote is the off button. I don't think the remote actually gets locked out, because the box still recognized the remote when I press a button. It just makes that sound "thump"sound.

11. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    So did you try RF?

12. damie45

damie45 New Member

Dec 15, 2011
    No I didn't. I don't have a rf capable remote, but I did try the tape over the ir. It was all working last year with my same setup. I only use PIP feature during football season. I got the Sunday ticket and I usually pick 2 games that I wanna c and put them side by side.

13. damie45

damie45 New Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Directv sent me a new box, I hook it up and all is working now.

14. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Thanks for checking in on that, and enjoy!

15. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    what did they send you?

16. damie45

damie45 New Member

Dec 15, 2011
    A new hr34

17. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club