1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PIP

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Barry in KC, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Barry in KC

Barry in KC New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    Is there any possibility that DirectTV will have a PIP feature?

2. kymikes

kymikes Icon

Jan 15, 2008
    Kentucky
    From other comments, the HR chipset will not support PIP.

3. Ken_F

Ken_F Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 13, 2003
    The HR21/HR22/HR23 don't have the hardware necessary to support PIP.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The only way you would see PIP would be with all new hardware, and there doesn't seem to be a huge demand for it outside this forum.

5. CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy Godfather

Apr 11, 2007
    That's the number one thing I miss about Dish Network (don't miss the rain fade so much). :D

I wish I had PiP EVERY... SINGLE... Saturday... during football season. :)

6. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Solution = PiP capable TV + two receivers. :)

Or use the recently enabled dual buffers on the HR2x series DVRs.

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    And that's the answer.

PiP always rates very low in desirability or "willingness to pay extra for" for the majority of people, which is why it's rare on TVs and even more rare on set-top boxes, compared to 5-10 years ago. Most people rarely or never use it, and since it requires extra hardware, it's one of the first things that manufacturers eliminate.

The Dish "Duo" receivers require that extra output processor in order to allow the single receiver to run 2 TVs independently, so it's no big deal to enable PiP when the receiver is switched into Single Mode. But even Dish didn't spend the money to put a second output processor in their dual-tuner "Solo" Vip612 HD-DVR, because PiP just isn't a high-demand feature.

8. Cyber36

Cyber36 Legend

Mar 20, 2008
    Byron NY
    You can always use the tuner in a VCR as a second source also..............

9. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    If the TV only has one tuner but can do PIP using one of the inputs there is no extra hardware. My old 36" CRT TV did it this way and it was nice

10. Barry in KC

Barry in KC New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    I have 2 DTV receivers. The problem is that most new TV's do not have the PIP feature anymore. Samsung does, but it is not very user friendly. Thanks for the input.

11. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008

They do if buy a set that has two tuners

12. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The short answer is "No." There are conflicting reports on whether or not it is actually possible with the chipset, but based upon the added complexity, potential performance hit and lack of a remote that could properly control it I'd have to say the chance of PIP is virtually zero on the HR2x Platform.

From a Marketing perspective, I doubt the bang for the buck is there anyway. Sure some people like it and can't live without it, but the cost to make it happen probably way exceeds any good that would come of it .. That's just my humble opinion, though.

13. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    True, but as his post stated, its hard to find a new TV that has 2 tuners and can do PIP/POP with anymore.

And on his comment about user friendly PIP. My Samsung LCD can do PIP, but only from an RF input with an analog signal. And then you can't even swap the pictures. I can still use it during commercials to monitor an analog channel from cable, while watching the D* feed.

14. MSZeta

MSZeta New Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Question then, if you have a dual receiver and or two receivers with pip does your television also have to support the function or just the receiver to make it possible on the set?

15. dorfd1

dorfd1 Icon

Jul 15, 2008
    watch one of the mix channels

16. Barry in KC

Barry in KC New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    I have a Pioneer 43 inch plasma, which has the PIP function. I want to upgrade to a larger set, but Pioneer is out of the plasma business.

17. tthunder38

tthunder38 AllStar

Apr 24, 2008
    Barry,

Look for a Pioneer "Kuro". I have a 50" that does PIP with two HR's. Price has come down a lot in the last year or so also.

18. Barry in KC

Barry in KC New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    I tried. Best Buy had a few, but they didn't have the PIP. Pionner only has the 60 inch, and my wife will only allow a 50 inch model in our room.

19. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    There is an easy fix for this...2 receivers and 2 tv's! I prefer pbp (picture beside picture) over pip, since pip wastes too much of the display.

:)

20. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    As others have said, its hard to find a TV with PIP/PSP these days. The Pioneer Kuro PDP-5052FD is probably your best bet. Its fairly expensive for a 50" plasma these days @ $3000. Although they have been one of the best plasma TV's and have the PIP/PSP feature you desire (Advanced Picture-In-Picture: 4 Positions, Picture-Side-Picture:3 Positions). There are a couple online retailers still selling it, but I haven't dealt with them [Link1] [Link2]. I've purchased 2 flat screens from online retailers and it worked out fine, plus saved me quite a bit of money.