1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Pit Bull" Ban

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Blurayfan, Dec 29, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Illinois
    IMO banning dogs just because of their breed is wrong. Here is just one story as to why I feel this way. What is your opinion of this issue?
    "Pit Bull" ban keeps disabled man from service dog

UPDATE: Aurelia, IA man says goodbye to service dog

Pit Bull, Disabled Man to be Reunited

2. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    It isn't the breed. It's the owner.

In my youth, it was the Doberman that was deemed the demon breed.

3. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Illinois
    I also remember hearing people state doberman were mean, aggressive dogs and should all be put down when I was younger.

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I am on the fence... Because it is human fault for breeding some things into certain breeds... So I feel for the dogs... But once you have the dogs, then what? It is hard to un-breed what has been done to them for generations.

5. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Illinois
    What I feel should be done is use a case by case review. If a dog no matter what the breed has shown aggression it should be put down unless the owner can prove the aggression was legitimate (protecting his family). Dogs that have no history of aggression should be allowed to be part of the community and have a chance to be a trusted companion or family pet.

6. B Newt

B Newt Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    I agree! Unfortunately Pit Bulls is the favorite for dog fighting. Dogs are like people if you raise them right they will be alright. Also in the article the x cops dog is a Pitt bull "Mix".

Also I remember Rottweilers were considered a mean dog.

7. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    And even German Shepherds, had their aggressiveness overblown.

Funny, the dogs I find more dangerous are those small snapper types. I seen more attacks on children by those dogs while walking the NYC streets, then from the renown more aggressive feared breeds.

8. elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    If you look at the numbers of dog attacks by breed ( I don't have the numbers in front of me, so salt accordingly) labs are, and have been, number 1 for many years, and yappy little breeds supposedly come in ahead of pit bulls.

The problem of course, is media coverage. It's horrific when a person gets mauled to death by a pit bull, and does deserve coverage, but why does a similar incident with someone's golden Labrador end up with the B-roll stuff.......??

9. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    I happen to be of the line of thinking that a pitt bull ban is long overdue.

Although a factor in agressiveness in any breed is the treatment they endure by the owner; a pit bull has the inbreed propensity to be agressive and the fact that they are one of the only breeds to lock their jaw increases the severity of any attack they are involved in.

If you look at the statistics they have been by far the most reported of all dog attacks as well as the cause of the most severe injuries up to and including death by animal involvement.

How many times does a person have to hear; "weve never had a problem or seen agressiveness out of our dog" during any interview about how the dog killed a member of the household ----> like a small child. :confused:

I agree the dog is not to blaim; but rather the people who founded and continue to raise and promote the breed. However more and more towns have curtailed rules, regulations and laws specicifically banning the ownership of the breed in their teritorial limits. To this I applaud their efforts.

I have personally experiened multiple pit bull attacks when going to the dog park with my 2 English Bulldogs. There is one specific dog which continually attacks my white bulldog (maybe it's the color that initiates the attack). What I find pathetic is the fact that the owner continues to bring the animal back to the park after being on notice that their animal attacks other pets. My dogs are not the only dogs this particular dog goes after. Why someone would put another pet much less their owner in jepordy is beyond me and is outrageous to say the least!

10. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Which is correct? :sure:

11. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    Except this "breeding" is largely social conditioning and how the dogs are treated and interacted with. We've gone Pit Bull as villains much like the Salem witch trials. Yes the dogs were bred for a savage purposes but in order to be useful they were bred to be docile to their human handlers. In earlier times Pit Bulls were the family dog of choice by America. Even the dog in the old Our Gang comedies was of this breed.

I have a Lab/Pit mix (Cosworth) He's a 55 lb Put Bull that can *SWIM* and he is the most attentive gentle soul I have ever known. He was a animal control stray we took in at age 4 and I have never known a more docile animal.

He plays with our other 2 dogs (A Bernese/Rough Collie mix, and a 13 lb Yorkie/Carin Terrier mix) and there is not a drop of mean in this dog. He is a lap seeking missile and my constant companion here around the home or out around the farm.

The way he rolls around with and licks the grand kids is a hoot too. He is always the center of attention when the family gets together.

The press and the public needs to stop the witch hunt! It is not these dogs as a breed rather its the generations of inbreeding in humans that does such mean things to these animals.

It seems the press is on an anti pit bull crusade breeding fear in the public with regards to these dogs. Yes they have the tools to be formidable but their breeding has them as docile. Owners must however be sure to be in close control of open area play with strange dogs as if one of the other dogs gets vicious it could cause the Pit to respond in kind.

With my mix and the full breeds I've been around I've not seen this but it is a sensible precaution.

I will continue with this breed and as I get older likely train one as a therapy dog to give it and me some purpose in my retirement years.

Don "in the cases of 'Pit Bull attack mania' do shoot the messenger" Bolton

12. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    I'm right :grin:

2010 statistics

• 33 U.S. fatal dog attacks occurred in 2010. Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 650 U.S. cities, pit bulls led these attacks accounting for 67% (22). Pit bulls make up approximately 5% of the total U.S. dog population.2
    • In 2010, the combination of pit bulls (22) and rottweilers (4) accounted for 79% of all fatal attacks. In the 6-year period from 2005 to 2010, this same combination accounted for 71% (129) of the total recorded deaths (181).
    • The combined breakdown between the two breeds is substantial. From 2005 to 2010, pit bulls killed 104 Americans, about one citizen every 21 days, versus rottweilers, which killed 25 Americans, about one citizen every 88 days.
    • 2010 data shows that 61% (20) of the attacks occurred to children (11 years and younger) and 39% occurred to adults. Of the children, 75% (15) occurred to ages 4 and younger. Within this same age group, males represented 60% of the victims.
    • 2010 data also shows that 33% (11) of the fatal incidents involved multiple dogs. Nearly a third, 30% (10), involved breeding on the dog owner's property either actively or in the recent past, and 9% (3) involved chained dogs.
    • Dog ownership information for 2010 shows that family dogs comprised 73% (24) of the attacks that resulted in death; 88% (29) of these incidents occurred on the dog owner's property and 12% (4) occurred off the owner's property.
    • The state of California led fatalities in 2010 with 7 deaths; pit bulls contributed to 83% (6). Florida followed with 3 deaths and Georgia, Illinois, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas each had 2
    Here's the stats for maming and deaths caused by dogs from September 1982-June 25th 2010 in order to paint the bigger picture over time:

13. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Regarding the statistics:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100225123418AAHBClC

14. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Going over that PDF and seeing only one attack by Chihuahua and zero by Pekinese leads me suspect these are not reported.

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    My insurance company has quite a list of breeds not allowed, at one point they told me Labrador Retreiver was on the list. That was in error, but still were some surprising breeds. I actually think for breeds that are more of an issue, they should have to pass the AKC Canine Good Citizen test.

16. ghontz1

ghontz1 AllStar

Mar 25, 2010
    In my experience every pit bull i have contact with were big old babies that all they want to do is please their owners.Their temperament is not mean or vicious to start but when you have idiots mistreat them like beating them feeding them gunpowder I am telling you can turn any dog into a killer.I am sick of people who want to blame the dog and have knee jerk reaction and want ban dogs what ought to do is ban the rotten dirty humans from ever owning any kind of pet.

17. photostudent

photostudent Godfather

Nov 8, 2007
    I own Shih Tzus. I have never heard of one tearing the bumper off a police cruiser.

18. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I'm not a gun proponent, by any means, but there's a saying: Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

To me that is an apt saying that should be applied to many dog breeds. It's the stupid, ignorant, thoughtless people who raise pit bulls and other breeds in abusive and violent environments that are to blame if their dogs attack someone. Don't use a broad brush to paint the entire breed as violent...

19. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    That's one person's take on a yahoo answer site.

As far as lumping all the "pit bull" breed attacks togeather goes; the stats I posted listed each pit variety seperatly with stats posted for each.

All bites, maulings and deaths, be it buy dog, human, gunshot stabbing etc) are manditorily reported by the administering medical agency (hospital, clinic, etc) to law enforcement and other state and federal reporting agencies. I know not "all bites" are reported; but ALL serious ones requiring medical attention definetly are as well as the details by which the incident happen (at least those reported by the victim or witnesses).

20. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    After reading your post more thoroughly I understand your feelings and certainly you iterate rightfully the owner is a big part of the problem.

Dogs are pack animals and as such get some of their behavioral actions from their pack mates especially the "Alpha". In this case you've an inconsiderate jerk whom has a complete disregard for the rights of others and is subjecting your pack (and others) to his rude demeanor. He should be banned but yeah enforcement, etc.

I could never agree with the statement the breed should be banned I flat love mine far too much to agree the breed should be banned because of stupid human treatments.

I would prefer the laws and we as a culture re address how we handle ALL our dogs. Legally they are no more than property and we've the right to merely chain them up in the yard and leave them and as long as they have some form of shelter, are fed, and watered that's OK.

Really that is not. They are a living creation with up to the intellectual capacity of a teen aged human and they are a PACK animal. They are a social creature by nature. They belong *in* the homes with the families, and in the truck (not the bed).

As anyone whom has ever bonded with a dog will tell you, it's a special relationship. Yes its brings commitment, mountains of shedding, oozy smelly prizes (Gidget saved a half eaten mole in our closet awhile back), and clean floors? Yeah try living on a farm with 3 dogs:grin:

End of the day I would not have it any other way, they remind me everyday of the simple joy of life that we so lose in our structured regimented society.

And of all the breeds I've been fortunate enough to share my life with over the years the Pit Bull is the most easy going loving animal I've ever known. I cannot condone their being ostracized due to mis-identification, media hype, and stupid human treatments. Any more than I could condone the exclusion of Bullys (English or otherwise):grin:

I certainly would go with a more stringent ownership requirement in order to have such dogs but really I think that should be for all.

Don "they are so much more than just property" Bolton