1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pittsburgh local channel issues

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Schyler, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schyler

Schyler AllStar

Sep 8, 2006
    All of the new national HD channels look perfect on my setup. My HD locals all look fine, too... save for one. I have had a number of different issues with the signal from the local NBC affiliate, WPXI.

I had always assumed that it was something about my system - but a friend recently upgraded to HD (with an HR20) and is seeing some of the same issues, so I don't suspect my setup as much now.

NBC network programming has a variety of issues, and they seem to come and go.

Sometimes programming is interrupted with brief stutters. This week, it's been lip sync woes. Other times there is picture breakup, and there is nearly always heavy artifacting. My friend's wife prefers to watch the SD channel because the lip sync bothers her more than the standard def picture.

WPXI started broadcasting local news in HD earlier this month, and their local HD news broadcasts seem to have none of these issues. That could be coincidence. I haven't watched all that much of their local HD content. But it seems very clean, crisp, and trouble free.

It makes me suspect that there may be something wrong either with the way WPXI is handling the HD NBC feed, or with NBC's national feed itself.

It's bothersome because I tend to watch more NBC programming than any of the other networks.

Has anyone else experienced these issues?

2. sbcale

sbcale AllStar

Aug 19, 2006
    Yes, I have been experiencing some lip sync issues this year as well. Last year CBS had a lot of lip sync problems and NBC was rock solid. Now this year it seems to have switched. The NBC Sunday Night Football game against Denver was awful! I am also seeing some lip sync issues on ABC, are you seeing any of those?

Maybe we should call the station?? :nono2:

3. bcherry

bcherry Legend

Apr 1, 2006
    I have been seeing some of the same problems. A few weeks ago Channel 11 (NBC) was especially bad. That was because of some equipment problems at Channel 11. I was told it would probably take a couple of weeks to fix. The last time I checked I was seeing the problems with Channel 11 on both the feed from DirecTV and OTA so it wasn't DirecTV's fault.

4. koko

koko AllStar

Aug 17, 2007
    It's Sally Wiggin trying to destroy the competition.

5. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Godfather

Sep 10, 2007
    If stories like this from The Register are to be believed, it could even be Microsoft's fault.

I was watching the noon news on WPXI today and got some audio stuttering during one of the reports. That's either a local station or D* problem.

The *big* problem with Pittsburgh locals this week is WTAE deciding that Pitt/Louisville is a better choice of a game than WVU/Rutgers. The WVU game is on a subchannel, but there's no chance of receiving that in Morgantown.

6. Schyler

Schyler AllStar

Sep 8, 2006
    Sorry, but I can't help much with ABC... Except for LOST, I don't watch much on that network.

About two weeks ago, WPXI was breaking up and stuttering constantly... I thought I had to go adjust my dish, then it cleared up before I got around to it.

I'm not the only one that experienced that, then? It really looked like typical rain fade/obstruction kind of interference... except that it went away on its own.

7. jabd

jabd AllStar

Aug 7, 2006
    The problems were very noticeable last Sunday during the Steelers game. When the SNF crew was on camera, it was too distracting to watch the screen and listen at the same time.

8. Billzebub

Billzebub Godfather

Jan 1, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I thought it was just me. I had the same problem with heroes for the past couple of weeks.

9. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I would suspect from your descriptions of the problems that these may very well be NBC issues and the local affiliate just rebroadcasts the issues since the feed comes from NBC. Plus, you said the local programming (news) is fine.

I've also had issues with artifacting with my local NBC and CBS stations and I am over near Lancaster. Don't know about ABC.. nothing on that network that I watch.

I think most of the people here can attest that NBC's HD sports coverage leaves a lot to be desired..

10. Schyler

Schyler AllStar

Sep 8, 2006
    That's what I had suspected. But, like I said, I haven't watched very much of the local HD content. Someone else here mentioned that they have seen the stuttering during local news, so maybe it isn't the national feed after all. I don't know.

This morning, The Today Show's audio was more than a half second out of sync with the video. It's very distracting.

11. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    Not so fast there DarkAudit... WTAE does come in pretty darn good OTA here in Mo-town (YMMV) as well as the subchannel 4-2. I'll be watching the Mountaineers take on Rutgers in perfect clarity with rabbit ears on the Grafton Road.

As far as the lip sync and other issues -- me too.

12. Schyler

Schyler AllStar

Sep 8, 2006
    Okay, that's a good control to have here.

If I read you correctly, you receive WTAE-HD OTA and you are seeing local content without issue, but national NBC content with lip sync problems...

...are you also getting the stutters and breakups during national content?

...how's the compression during national content?

I'd like to be able to make that comparison, but I'm out of range of their OTA digital signal.

13. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    The ABC I do check periodically on OTA and the signal is perfect. Any DIRECTV issues there are either the connection between WTAE and DIRECTV or signal degradation within the DIRECTV process. WTAE does have some pixelation via the sat but we have had some storms as of late. No major compression that is visibly noticable.

WPXI watching is almost always via the sat and if I'm watching something live (football being the perfect example) I'll see if the rabbit ears can get WPXI at that moment. Unfortunately, WPXI is more difficult to get via my dinky antenna than WTAE.

Yes I certainly am having signal breakup and spotty pixelation on the locals which has been more pronounces lately (when watching via sat including WTAE). Frankly, I do think the HR20's software may be playing a part in "some" of the pixelation.

Hopefully the CE tonight can improve the circumstances for all of us.

14. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Godfather

Sep 10, 2007
    Hmm... You're in Morgantown? In Westover I can only get about A 75% signal strength from WNPB, and that's it from any of the Pittsburgh or Clarksburg OTA channels. When I lived in Woodburn it was baout the same analog. WNPB only with rabbit ears.

15. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    Not "in" the city limits, but I'm just past the new WalMart on 119 so the technical city limits is one mile from my house. The elevation here is higher so I guess that may help (clear as a bell in HD/DT -- not as good in analog). Even when I lived on the other side of town behind Mylan I got pretty decent analog (no HDTV back then) from WTAE.

16. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Godfather

Sep 10, 2007
    Ah. When I was in Woodburn, I was overlooking Sabraton, with a large hill behind the house blocking the path to the Pittsburgh stations. Now I'm over by the mall, with a clear view to the Coliseum out my front window. Maybe I should reorient the rabbit ears to point that way (Philips amplified rabbit ears).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.