1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pixelation every 1-2 minutes HR20-700 w/ 1TB eSATA

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by breevesdc, Jul 14, 2009.

1. breevesdc

breevesdc Legend

Aug 13, 2007
    Hello. I've been having periodic intermittent problems with my HR20-700. It is running on a Calvary 1TB eSATA and is connected to a SWM setup. I have been having intermittent pixelation with sound breakup about every 1-2 minutes. It happens on some shows. And other shows record just fine. Lately, it has been getting worse and worse.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas what could be causing this. I've checked my signal strength (both OTA and Sat) and have not seen any levels that look suspect. Additionally, I have an HR21 upstairs in the bedroom that has been working flawlessly (though it gets less use).

I'm beginning to suspect that my eSATA drive is starting to act up. It does run very hot (to the touch). But it's just a hunch. I have nothing solid to base this on. Any ideas? This HR20 has always been a little flaky in terms of its performance. But I can't say for sure whether I'm looking at a problem with the receiver or a problem with the eSATA. Could a problem like this be caused by an eSATA drive that is starting to go bad? The drive shows no obvious signs of failing that I can see.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Brian

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Test the DVR using the internal drive and see if the problem abates.

3. breevesdc

breevesdc Legend

Aug 13, 2007
    Interesting... I watched the first 15 minutes of the All-Star game and had the pixelation every 1-3 minutes. I reset the receiver, turned off the eSATA drive and allowed it to boot up on the internal drive. I watched the rest of the game (2-1/2 hours) and did not have one incident of pixelation. I suppose I could try a new eSATA drive to see if it works. But I'm inclined to just use the internal drive and be done with it. Thanks for the advice.

Brian

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Glad that the problem went away for you.