1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pixellation or no picture HD channels only

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tfconway, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Sep 3, 2011 #1 of 14
    tfconway

tfconway New Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Hello everyone,

My old Tivo HR10-250 died, so I called DirecTV to get a replacement. They sent a refurbished HR20-100, and I am just setting it up today. I have an existing HR20-100 and HR22-100 in other rooms, and they work fine. I have a slimline-5 dish with the built-in multiswitch. I do not have SWM.

I am not receiving HD channels on the HR20-100 that I am trying to install. It's true on both tuners. I get a picture for a few seconds, then it pixellates, then it goes away altogether, but I do NOT get a "searching for satellite" message. It happens on local HD channels as well as national ones. I do have the B-band converters installed. The other two receivers have no problem getting HD channels, and they too have the B-band converters. I have good to great signal strength on all of the satellites, as shown in the attached file. I have tried swapping the B-band converters and the cables, resetting the system multiple times, going through the self-tests and guided setup, all to no avail. I called DirecTV, and they had me checkout the test channels (9506-11), and that verifies that my setup is correct. They also had me do the two up / two down channel change, supposedly to do something to the polarity of the B-band converters. The self-test indicates that I have a dish alignment issue, but I doubt it since the other receivers in my home work fine. I have also made sure that the guide shows HD and SD channels - I have no problems with any of the SD channels.

I looked up the transponder list for my locals (Baltimore), and my locals are on the spot beam at 103(s), transponder 20. The signal strength on both tuners for that transponder are 97, but I don't get a picture.

I'm pretty sure that the received that DirecTV just sent me is defective, and I need a replacement. However, they want to send out a tech, but the first appointment I can get is about 2 weeks away. What else can I do to convince them that I need a replacement? I think it's a waste of time to send a tech, but I don't seem to have a choice. Suggestions and additional troubleshooting tips are welcomed. Thanks!

Tom

2. Sep 3, 2011 #2 of 14
    texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    If you have a non-SWM dish, how are you driving six tuners from four cables? Do you have an additional multiswitch (apart from the one built into the dish) and if so which one?

3. Sep 3, 2011 #3 of 14
    tfconway

tfconway New Member

Sep 3, 2011
    I'm not. I have 2 tuners active on the HR20-100 that is having the problem. The other two receivers have only one tuner active on each.

Tom

4. Sep 4, 2011 #4 of 14
    Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Try switching the cables on the LNB and see if it makes a difference. This way we can rule out a defective LNB or cable or receiver.

Kevin

5. Sep 4, 2011 #5 of 14
    texasbrit

Aug 9, 2006
    Also try swapping the HR20 with one of the other DVRs, if you have not done that already.
    Could this be a "supported resolution" issue on the TV? What TV is it?

6. Sep 4, 2011 #6 of 14
    tfconway

tfconway New Member

Sep 3, 2011
    I'll swap receivers today to rule out everything else. The TV is an LG 47LE5400, which is a 47" LCD that supports 1080p @ 120 Hz, so the output from the receiver is supported. The HDMI cable is re-used from the HR10-250 which I had on there originally; I also had an OTA antenna connected, and saw OTA HD with no problems.

7. Sep 4, 2011 #7 of 14
    texasbrit

Aug 9, 2006
    Does the TV support 480i over HDMI? There are several TVs that don't.. Try unchecking 480i in the HR20 list of supported resolutions and see if that has any effect.

8. Sep 5, 2011 #8 of 14
    tfconway

tfconway New Member

Sep 3, 2011
    The only resolution I have checked is 1080p

9. Sep 5, 2011 #9 of 14
    tfconway

tfconway New Member

Sep 3, 2011
    UPDATE: I swapped receivers this morning; the problem follows the receiver. I took my HR20-100 from the kitchen and put it on my living room TV (the LG) and am watching the US Open in HD - great picture, no pixellation, no drop outs. It's at 1080i resolution. I took my HR20-100 from the living room (the one with problems) to the kitchen and hooked it up to my tv there; after about 30 seconds, I lost HD picture. I tried switching through all of the resolutions between 720 and 1080 - none of them restored the picture.

So now I am convinced this is a receiver issue - do you concur?

Tom

10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    IFF the HR20-100s are configured identically, then you've been the benefactor of poor refurbishing/QA.

11. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I think you've got what you need to push the CSR to send out another replacement receiver.

12. tfconway

tfconway New Member

Sep 3, 2011
    And indeed, that's what I did. Amber was very nice and understanding, and counseled me that if another receiver doesn't fix the issue that I'll be on the hook to pay for a service call, to which I agreed - that makes sense. But, given all of the troubleshooting steps I've taken, I'd rather have them send me a unit than wait TWO WEEKS for a tech.

A new receiver is on the way. I politely suggested than I would not be happy with another HR-20, but I know there's no way to guarantee which model I get. Nevertheless, it's noted on my account.

Thanks for all of your thoughtful replies!

Tom

13. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Good groundwork, Tom.

I am a little confused; you claim 97 on xponder 20 but the spreadsheet lists 90. It must be one or the other, can't be both.

If it is truly 90, your levels are marginal. But since you have issues only on the one unit, it would be interesting to see if those levels are the same on the other units. Marginal levels can cause the HD channels to pixellate; the SD channels have more tolerance because the focal points for Ku channels are larger and do not need as precise tuning as Ka.

If it is truly 97, your levels are good, and not the cause of your pixellation issues. You should be able to get 100 with a perfectly tuned system on your spot beam (assuming your spot is as healthy as other healthy spots) even 35-50 miles from population center, and as high as 95-96 from about twice that distance from population center. Assuming you are in the general metro area, 97 is OK and should not be problematic, but the higher the signal the better rain fade margin you will have.

14. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Many of us (who prefer the HR20) have found them very accommodating when replacing a receiver if we claim that there are OTA channels that we are interested in that DTV does not carry. In that case they definitely try to get you a HR20. I had two replaced, both HR20's; others have had the same scenario.