1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

placement of sonora amp and polarity locker?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by pjwinstalls, Nov 19, 2012.

1. pjwinstalls

pjwinstalls Mentor

Oct 14, 2008
    Dish is on roof....approx 70ft run to basement where ground blocks are located as well as swm16s and splitters. Should i put the amp and polarity locker in the attic near the dish? if i do i will be before the ground...is that ok? or can i place the amp and polarity locker in the basement near everything else at the end of the 70ft run?

Thanks

Philip

2. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    I'm wondering if you actually need the amp or polarity locker.

If you are using a SWM16, or are running through some all-power-passing splitters to use two SWM16s, you basically already have a polarity locker right there. Just make sure you are using solid copper core coax to avoid the excessive DC losses that you get with copper-coated steel. (RG11 solid copper would be the best but it can be hard to find.)

As far as signal level, 70ft is not all that long of a run, people have gone much further without an amp. The AGC of the SWM-16 is a big help.

Now, if you are multi-way splitting into a whole bunch of SWM16s, for an MDU or something, that might be a different story since the splitter losses come into play. So in that case you might need an amp.

Keith

3. pjwinstalls

pjwinstalls Mentor

Oct 14, 2008
    Understood. but if i do get the amp and polarity locker.....where would it go in my scenario?

Thanks

Philip

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    At the input of the splitters. [I too question the use/need for them]

5. pjwinstalls

pjwinstalls Mentor

Oct 14, 2008
    I agree also....but as you can see from my other thread regarding losing transponders randomly with SWM16 and I have replaced EVERYTHING repeatedly..... I am out of options. I have gone through 5 swm15s already.

6. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You're trying to band-aid another problem.
    "If" using a locker and an amp does do any good, it would simply be masking the real problem, which should be addressed instead.

70' of good coax isn't a problem that either of these would be needed for.
    The combined loss of 70' & 2-way splitters, should be ≈ 10 dB, which [again] is well withing the input range of the SWiMs. "The worst" this might cause is rainfade starting a bit sooner than with less loss.

As to losing transponders, can you be more specific?
    Which ones, which SATs, and does if happen on all receivers?

7. pjwinstalls

pjwinstalls Mentor

Oct 14, 2008
  8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    If you haven't change the coax to the dish to solid copper core, do it.

the locker would only boost the voltage by 1-2 volts, which "might be" enough, but it's better to address the use of the wrong coax instead.

9. pjwinstalls

pjwinstalls Mentor

Oct 14, 2008
    thats the only thing i havent done. I was going to do RG11 but can't find any Solid copper through my distributors... I will do RG6 SC. Still doesnt make sense though that it works fine for a while then acts up. If it was a cable issue it should be a problem all the time.

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    70' of CCS RG6 is borderline, so it shouldn't be a surprise.
    You're dealing with a voltage drop because of the resistance.

11. pjwinstalls

pjwinstalls Mentor

Oct 14, 2008
    Should i find the RG11 SC or just use the RG6 sc?

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
  13. pjwinstalls

pjwinstalls Mentor

Oct 14, 2008
    going to pick the rg6 up at my distributor today. Think i should do quad shield? thats what i got now. Just pain terminating.

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Unless you have a transmitter in your backyard, [again] QS is more overkill.

15. pjwinstalls

pjwinstalls Mentor

Oct 14, 2008
    ok thanks....will report outcome after i run the cable

16. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    There are always sellers on eBay who will make up cut to length RG-11 wires pre-connectorized that will save most people money over buying a 1000' spool and a connector installation tool.

I know I've gone a couple hundred feet through copper clad center RG-6 with no voltage problem. Not that I'm recommending it. And with an SLM LNB, you actually have half the effective center conductor resistance because two coaxes in parallel are carrying 18 volts.