1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning an Upgrade... Help...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by turkeylord, Jan 21, 2013.

1. turkeylord

turkeylord Cool Member

Jan 9, 2008
    So, my current gear is getting old and slow and now that I no longer need an OTA tuner, it's time to upgrade. Hoping you guys can help me out here. My current setup is a little complicated, I have a 4x4 HDMI matrix and an IR repeater system to access my HD DVR (and other sources) from any TV in the house.

Current equipment:

Home Theater
    • HR20 -> HDMI Matrix -> Receiver/Projector, Bar TV, Living Room, Bedroom.
    • SIR-TS360 -> DVI+SPDIF>HDMI Converter -> HDMI Matrix -> Same as above (serving as a backup tuner and analog scaler)

Living Room
    • H20 -> Living Room TV

The current system works pretty well, but we do have conflicts occasionally if we want to watch 2 different DVR programs on two TVs. I've been getting recording conflicts more and more often, not to mention being out of HDD and Series Link space. It's also a little complicated for DW to operate.

So, I'm thinking about a Genie. I understand I can use up to 3 RVU clients at the same time on the Genie, but is that really what I want to do? One each in the living room, bedroom, and at the bar?

Which brings up a question - If I have a RVU client tuned into the same program as the Genie, does it still take an extra tuner? Like if I have the Superbowl tuned in on all 4, how many tuners am I occupying?

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Doesn't seem too rough... an HR34 Genie DVR would plug into the same spot as the HR20 with no problem.

As for replacing the SIR, you might consider an H25 from DIRECTV. It would give you a more consistent experience.

Both of these upgrades would require that your dish and wiring used the new SWM system. With only two receivers you could go with a SWM-enabled dish, or if you are using a multiswitch like a 6x8 it's an easy swap to put in a SWM8.

3. turkeylord

turkeylord Cool Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Thanks Stuart, I was editing while you were posting, so I'm not sure how much of that you read. I wasn't aware it had posted, thought I was still previewing. :eek:

Right now I have the older non-SWiM dish, and no multiswitch, so it sounds like that would have to go then.

Half the reason the SIR is even in the system is because it handles my analog upscaling/conversion. BUT, the only analog source we really use any more is the Wii, and I could just get this instead: Wii HDMI Converter. So I'm thinking maybe eliminate the second receiver in the HT.

It's very rare that I have a conflict between the bedroom and the HT, so it wouldn't be the end of the world to continue sharing the DVR between those two. Having said that, that means it would also be rare that that client would be used at the same time as the Genie, so I really shouldn't worry about it occupying a tuner.

:confused:

*EDIT*
    Also, am I asking for lip sync problems if I use the DVR on the receiver/projector and RVU on the bar TV in the back of the HT?

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I see that you added the H20 to your first post. I'd swap that out as it's reached end-of-life and doesn't get any of the current goodies like HD menus and program sharing. That and, some of the old ones were hot enough to scorch your furniture :lol:

5. turkeylord

turkeylord Cool Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Still have a couple questions I'm wondering about... :)

1. If I have a RVU client tuned into the same program as the Genie, does it still take an extra tuner? Like if I have the Superbowl tuned in on all 4, how many tuners am I occupying?

2. Am I asking for lip sync problems if I use the DVR on the receiver/projector and RVU on the bar TV in the back of the HT? Opposite ends of the same room.

6. turkeylord

turkeylord Cool Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Well, to answer my own question, a year later... The RVUs definitely lag behind the Genie, and it's more than just a little lip sync problem. My HDMI matrix isn't going anywhere. :)