1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning on going to MRV..Need some input.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by RonH, Nov 4, 2010.

1. RonH

RonH Godfather

Jul 25, 2007
    Here is my setup. SlimeLine 5 Dish,HR21-100,HR20-100 and H21-200. I have the HR21-100 in my living room and I have it connected to my Linksys54G router via a Hub. My main question is what is the real need to have Internet Connection on the HR20-100 and H21-200? Is worth the extra cost it get "whole system" connected to Internet? If I decide not to fool with Internet connection on other units what does DirecTv need to do to get me up and running MRV and what should that cost be?

Thanks

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    If you schedule the Whole Home DVR Upgrade with Cinema Connection Kit, they will replace the LNB on your dish with a SWiM-LNB and run a single cable into your house (most likely where your muti-switch is currently located). They will then add DECA units behind each of your receivers. Also, since you have an ethernet cable hooked to one DVR, they will just put another DECA there that will connect ALL of your receivers to your home network and the Internet.

The cost has just increased to $199, but depending on your account history, you might be able to get the price reduced somewhat.

- Merg

3. RonH

RonH Godfather

Jul 25, 2007
    Thanks for reply. Still what is the advantage of Internet to other receivers? If it just to get On Demand stuff couldn't I just leave my Internet just connected to the HR21-100,download the On Demand there and then view it on other receivers after MRV is set up? Is the cost is the same for setup with or without Whole System internet connected? If it the same cost either way I for sure do it but if there a cost savings and not Big advantage to having whole system with Internet access I'll save the money.

4. 66stang351

66stang351 New Member

Aug 9, 2006
    If you have internet to one you have internet to all with MRV. If you already have a line to one of your DVRs, you can just put a switch there and you won't necessarily need to buy the internet connection kit. You won't be able to plug internet directly into your DVR if you get MRV.

5. RonH

RonH Godfather

Jul 25, 2007

So if I want MRV and internet at least to my main Living room DVR like I do now I need the Whole Internet Connection Kit?

Thanks

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Yes. The Cinema Connection Kit brings Internet to all of your HD DVRS and doesn't get in the way of MRV.

7. RonH

RonH Godfather

Jul 25, 2007
    Thanks for all the great input guys. Now I just need to call DirecTv and start haggling with them for a Good Deal.....:)

8. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Excellent Idea and Good Luck!!! :)

9. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    I am getting the impression that the price increase is due to what appears to be a new "requirement" that you get a "Cinema Connection Kit". I don't want one if I go MRV, I just want a internet DECA to hook up to my router.