1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning on returning to Dish

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Cholly, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I just got a $20/month increase to $175 from Time Warner with a promise of another $25 within a year. I was a Dish subscriber in upstate New York 8 years ago and when I moved down here, decided to go with Time Warner for cable because installation was simpler and later added phone and internet because we were having problems with Windstream DSL.
    We have seven TV's in the house - 5 HD, 2 SD. I went to the local Dish retailer and got an estimate for what thee cost for TV only service would be around $130 plus tax a month after the first year promotional period, for a system with 2 Hoppers and 5 Joeys (I'd have to purchase the fifth Joey). Next, I'll have to determine the cost for phone and internet service. I prefer not to bundle it with TV.
    At worst, the price will be about the same as I'm currently paying. At best, I'll be getting America's 250, a free Roku HD box, 6 months free Hulu+, Sirius/XM music channels and all the goodies that come with the 250 package.
    Looks tempting. I have to finish my investigation, then present the plan to my family.

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Only thing I might recommend for you... if you're going to have to buy that seventh Joey anyway... Consider possibly getting a 3rd Hopper instead of that 7th Joey so you can have some more available tuners for DVRing.

A 3rd Hopper isn't going to be able to "see" the first two... but depending on how you want to use/view things in your home there might be more value in having that than a seventh Joey.

3. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    7 TVs, you only need 5 Joeys.

4. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Good catch... I should have checked his math!

5. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Down someone post a diagram of how to do that already? Involved plugging a 3rd output into a duo node or something...

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Basically connecting the "to client" connection on the duo node with the "to client" connection on a solo node. Anything that ties the network together.

There are other ways that they can be connected ... but just like Joeys on Ethernet (no coax connection) one should consider the "client to client" connection and other hacks "unsupported".

7. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    That's what I was thinking... Given that I don't have the configuration to test... I was going based on what I understood to be officially supported configurations. Something might kind of sort of work right now... but at any time an unsupported config might be yanked.

A perfect example of this?

When the 922 first came out you could use SlingPlayer software on your computer to access the 922 just like a SlingBox... but Dish had that functionality disabled at some point so that you were forced to go through their Web portal OR use the mobile apps.

So... connections that might work now, might not work tomorrow if they choose to disable something in firmware.

8. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Only reason I brought it up was because I don't think they can take that away without taking away Hopper to Hopper comms entirely. It's a 'hack' inasmuch as it's a bridge between nodes, but unless there's some way to squelch that I don't think that'll go away.

9. tymekeeper

tymekeeper Legend

Jan 11, 2008
    I would suggest a "magicJack" for your land line phone. Use TW for internet only service.

10. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    You're probably right in terms of connectivity... but if it proves to be unreliable or they just don't want to support it, they could probably make it so (in firmware) Hoppers will only recognize the closest Hopper detected and not another. They could just "ignore" that other connection even if they can't truly disable it.

11. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I'm in the midst of a two hopper/4 Joey install. What I've seen so far will blow my family away.I'm very impressed with the global nature of the installation. Set up a recording on any one of the devices and it's available on all of them. Really cool. And, yes, I can confirm that locals are available on Hoppers.