1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Planning upgrade...should I request WIRELESS Genie clients?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by EricRobins, Feb 13, 2014.

1. EricRobins

EricRobins Godfather

Feb 9, 2005
    I am planning an upgrade of my system soon. I believe I am in one of the markets where the C41W is available.

Should I request that each of the Genie clients I get be wireless? Can I use them wired, even if they are WIRELESS? Any reason that I should not request the clients be wireless? If my upgrade is supposed to be free, will D* charge me for wireless clients?

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    If at all possible avoid wireless, you will be glad you did. a wireless client can only be wireless

3. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    Any wired networking is more reliable than wireless in my experience.

4. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    yep, exactly. Right on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Phil T

Phil T DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I had a C41W, WVB and a HR44 installed a little over two weeks ago. I really like it and have had no issues being wireless. It has been rock solid.
    It does look like the C41W is wireless only.

Unless something changes I don't get all the avoid wireless comments. Maybe it is an issue in a apartment or someplace that has a lot of local wireless networks or interference, but I am not seeing it and would consider getting a second one.

6. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    facts are not up to debate. the fact is that a wired connection is much more reliable than a wireless connection

7. Phil T

Phil T DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    Do you have a C41W?

8. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    NO, I do not. Would never have one personally. However, I set up I few in my shop, and when they work, they are good, but unfortunately they are very unreliable

9. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    While I agree that wired is more reliable then wireless I do have to say that my two C41W's have worked fairly well even when the network LED on the C41W's showed yellow or red network quality.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

10. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I'd take a c41wireless over a c31 any day of the week. It's quite a bit faster for me.

11. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I have not had that experience at all and have to wonder what about your offices cause it to be so unreliable.

I may generally prefer wired but I don't have this hate for wireless and fine mine to work very well.

12. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The issue with wireless is that it is a not a "one size fits all" approach. while wired is. YMMV

13. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Assuming you can get a wire to where it's needed.

14. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The only way I can get a WiFi to one room in my house is with a WiFi extender and on some days, it is hit-or-miss as to whether the signal strength is good.

It would be a non-issue if there was a wired connection to that room.

15. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    See right there's my point. Neither is a one-size-fits-all because there are places in some homes where wireless is going to be much more advantageous than wired. You just can't say wireless doesn't have a place and that it doesn't work. It actually does, and does a lot better than I was ever expecting to be honest.

16. EricRobins

EricRobins Godfather

Feb 9, 2005
    Yes, I agree that (everything else being equal) wired is more reliable than wireless.

Since the C41W is wireless ONLY (please confirm), I believe I will go w/ the wired clients.

Thanks for the input.

17. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    yes,the C41W is only wireless

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    When has he ever said that wireless has no place and doesn't work? From posts that I've read, he's been pretty consistent about recommending a wired connection "whenever possible". That's pretty sound advice.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

19. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    right Bill, they just don't get it. As I said on my first post here, avoid wireless if at all possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    While I agree I'd do wired if i can too, this time he went further and claimed they aren't stable and said they don't work conssistantly. That's just not my experience at all. That is my point. Just because I don't prefer them doesn't mean they don't work just as well. In fact my wireless client connected to my hr44 works better than my wired c41 client hooked to my HR34.

I don't prefer them because they take more power and who needs more wifi running around if you don't need to... Our reasons are very different.