1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasma or DLP HDTV

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by space86, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. space86

space86 Icon

May 4, 2007
    Should I Buy a Plasma or DLP HDTV?

The Salesman at Best Buy said Plasma has the Best Picture Quality is he right?

2. DocBM

DocBM Cool Member

Jun 21, 2007
    I have a SHarp LCD
    My friend has a Samsung DLP
    My Dad has a Panasonic Plasma

My opinion is that the Plasmas have the best pictures even though I own an LCD.

I am sure every one will ahve their own opinion.

Buy the television that blows you away, not one that someone else is blown away by.

3. Taco Lover

Taco Lover Icon

Jan 8, 2007
    Rule #1: Don't trust anything a BB salesguy says. :D

Rule #2: No one technology has the best PQ. PQ also differs between models. Take into consideration each technologies pros and cons.

Rule #3: Only your own eyes can determine what has the best PQ.

Check out www.avsforum.com for some good resources on each technology. :)

BTW, I have a Sony SXRD rear-projection set, similar to DLP. To my own eyes, it has the best PQ over LCD or plasma.

4. DBS Commando

DBS Commando Godfather

Apr 6, 2006
    I've got a plasma, it had a better PQ to my eyes over LCD's. DLP wasn't an option for me since those sets are way too big and can't be hung on the wall.

5. Brandon428

Brandon428 Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2007
    Neither, DLP is horrible in my opinion and plasma has too much glare. Get a SXRD rear projection or a KDL LCD model. Both sony products. Believe me you won't be disappointed.

6. booger

booger Legend

Oct 31, 2005
    I have been very pleased with my Panasonic Plasma. The picture quality is excellent. For DishHD and upconverted DVD's. I was amazed at how good the picture quality was with Lord of the Rings on DVD. WOW!

7. Brandon428

Brandon428 Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2007
    If you must get a plasma check out the pioneer plasma elite models. I still prefer SXRD technology over plasma but if theres a plasma that could get me to jump ship the pioneer elites would have the best chance.

8. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Whatever display you are considering, avoid getting one with a reflective (glare) screen.

You'll thank me later.

9. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Icon

Apr 22, 2002
    For my money:

If you want flatscreen, Plasma is the way to go, unless you have a thing for Sony. I don't care for LCD, but Sony's LCD flatscreens can give many Plasma monitors a run for their money. But some are put off by the looks of Sony sets (all the glass, silver, overly-large attached speakers, etc.)

As for rear projection, LCoS is the best (aka SXRD or DiLA). DLP is only good if you have no sensitivity to the rainbow effect. If you don't, it's the best technology for the money (and Samsung seems to make the best sets). LCD should be avoided for rear projection. Even the best 3LCD sets have some screen-door effect and less-than-ideal contrast ratios in a dark viewing environment.

As with all of the above, YMMV.

10. garddog32

garddog32 Mentor

Aug 27, 2004
    It all really depends on how you are going to use your TV. If you need to have it mounted on a wall, then you have to go with Plasma or LCD. DLP's are pretty thin, but cannot be mounted flat on the wall. If you are going to play video games on the TV, then do not get a plasma. They are very prone to burn-in. DLP and LCD TV's do not burn in at all.

If you are looking for the overall best picture quality... you still cannot beat the old CRT TV's. They are big and boxy, but they are cheaper and are still considered by some to be the best picture quality.

Do some research first before you buy. One poster said to look at the TVs in the show room and decide which looks best to you. That may not be the best way to go. TV dealers could fiddle with the controls to make it look like one TV has a better picture than another. Also, they are set to look good in brightly lighted showrooms and may not look as good in your living room.

Take a look at sites such as www.cnet.com. They have good reviews and descriptions of all of the different types of TVs.

11. bflatmajor

bflatmajor Cool Member

Sep 8, 2006
    Interesting question...

Now here my nickel..

I have a 42" hd 1080i plasma
    I have a 50" edtv plasma
    I have a 61" hd 720p lcd

All are made by Hitachi.. with the 61" being their top of line vx directors series.

What do I like best? it depends on the material I'm watching.. Sports and HT movies is the lcd..

The better picture is truly 1080i plasma..
    The edtv plasma is very good when fed an hd signal through rgb connection
    The 720p blurs ever so slightly on sports... but you have to really stare at the damn screen to see the blurring.. and if anyone is looking that hard at the set they are probably trying to steal it. :D

well there you go..

I hope that helps.

12. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
  13. coldmiser

coldmiser Legend

Mar 10, 2007
    I prefere LCD.

That said this is what I recommend for anyone looking to buy a new TV...Take a DVD with you to the store that you watch a lot. Ask the sales person to hook a DVD player to each TV using the same hook up and compare the pictures.

Buy what looks good to you.

14. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    For the best possible picture either get a CRT projector or a CRT rear projection set. They have no fixed pixel screen-door effect, no expensive bulbs to replace every 2 years or so, no rainbow effect.

Entry level CRT projectors (nearly all are used equipment) start around $1000 (10% of MSRP) and you can go up to a Sony G90 with 9" CRT's for under $20,000 (also used price less than half of MSRP). These are not your grandma's toy TV's, these are serious UHD TV's (ultra Hig Definition) putting out 2500X2000 pixel pictures in full 1080p.

My Sony D50 does 1080i very well for a 7" CRT giving 1280X1024 picture at 7 ft diagonal.

My second HDTV is a Hitachi 57" rear projection CRT, a 1080X1280 unit. Beautiful picture even if it does not resolve 1920. It's still like looking through a window of a skybox watching the Cowboys.

But the resolution is not where these sets really shine, it is in the ability to show subtle increments in black areas of the picture. With the lowly D50 having a contrast ratio of 20,000:1 it blows any and every digital imaging device out of the water. The G90 has a 30,000:1 cr - imagine.

Why are these no longer being built? Convenience. People will settle for mediocre if it's easy. You have to tweak the convergence on a RPCRT every 3 months or so. (Mine has settled in and when i checked it last week, I did not have to make any adjustments.) The CRT front projectors are big and bulky too, but their picture is just as good as a movie theater projector's.

One more thing, these sets are not throw aways, when they break, they can be and are repaired and kept running for decades. My Sony D50 is 13 years old and still hasn't had any problems. It will still be giving excellent picture service for many years to come.

I feel better now, my rant is over, time for my nap watching 84" of HD on the wall that cost less than $500 out of pocket.

Ciao!

15. paja

paja Godfather

Oct 22, 2006
    I bought an LCD(the Mits 46231) for my bedroom earlier this year and was so pleased that I am now getting a 52 inch Sony XBR4 for my family room. Both of these rooms are bright and plasmas have too much glare for them.

16. jgurley

jgurley Legend

Feb 1, 2005
    Here's my take:

Plasma has advantage in price and picture quality (my opinion) over LCD. Panasonic is best bang for you buck, but Pioneer Elite is very, very good but more money.

LCD has advantage in being almost glare free (most models). Check out Samsung's line of LCDs.

Forget the DLP. I would also rule out most rear projection HDTV these days. My daughter and her husband have a Sony RP LCD and its awful. They also have a Samsung plasma in the kids play room and prefer it way over their Sony LCD.

17. space86

space86 Icon

May 4, 2007
    Thank You All For the Information I'm Replacing
    my 2002 Sony 36' inch Trinitron HDTV this Weekend.

I think I will get a LCD HDTV.

18. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007

LCD sets are lighter, run cooler and use far less electricity than phosphur based TV's and I think most good quality sets do a fantastic job with contrast/black levels compared to a short while back. IMHO

19. whatchel1

whatchel1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2006
    The plasma's have the best blacks. The newer plasma's have much less problems w/ burn in now. There is the glare or refection problem w/the glass screen that plasma's have. The LCD's have a brighter pict. but have the most lag of the bunch. The DLP's draw a little less electricity. At the TV station where I work we have all of the above sets. WE have a plasma in the Master Control w/ the screen divided into 8 different pictures, we will be adding an additional plasma for other sources when we put in our automation system w/in a month. On set we have 3 large DLP's for the graphic of the weather set. No burn in problems on static graphics and easy to color balance for the camera. We also have a very large DLP for behind the newset anchors w/ the CBS eye rotating as a background. For pictures that go w/ stories that the reporters are doing we have LCD. It has static picts that change w/ the story being reported. So it just depends on what the needs are and preference.

20. hockeyinsd

hockeyinsd AllStar

Aug 29, 2004
    I have a 42" Samsung 720p plasma and I agree that it has the best black levels and the best picture. The LCD looked as good until I watched a movie in a darkened room, darker scenes seemed a little washed out. My only complaint is the glare on the screen. It is only a problem for an hour or two out of the day when the sun refelcts off the walls, plus I'm usually not home during that time anyways (around 5-7pm). I don't like DLPs because I experience the rainbow effect. I never noticed it at first, but when I really sit down and start watching a movie its all I can see. Ultimately, I think it comes down to a LCD or plasma like everyone has said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.