1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playback sticking while playing back/burning recorded movie

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by SVTarHeel, Feb 19, 2011.

1. SVTarHeel

SVTarHeel Mentor DBSTalk Club

Oct 20, 2010
    Winston-Sale...
    I have switched over to D* within the last month and have been largely pleased with everything about the switch. Earlier this week, I tried archiving a movie by burning it to my DVD recorder. I had previously burned 4 or 5 successfully from my HR-24. This one has now burned 2 coasters - each time, the playback froze (different places) while the DVD kept burning. Since the burn was unattended, I didn't realize it was bad until I tried replaying it.

Granted, it was only one movie recorded from a single channel but I wanted to check and see if that was a common problem that I need to look out for or if it was likely to be isolated to this particular saved recording (or maybe the channel it was recorded from). Thanks for any ideas.

(By the way, I switched from Time Warner. Does anyone know if there's a thread on tips and tricks for former TWC customers? I tried a search a few weeks ago and couldn't find anything. It would be helpful to find out if there are things I was used to doing with my TWC box that can be replicated with D*)

2. SVTarHeel

Oct 20, 2010
    Winston-Sale...
    Updated info:

I have now had another recorded show get stuck during playback while burning to DVD. I've probably recorded 10-12 shows to DVD, but this second fail does offer one potential clue - all of the successful burns I can remember were in the 90-120 minute range. The first failed recording was 2.5 hours and the one that died last night was 3 hours.

Since I'm so new to D*, I'm asking to see if this is a known glitch or if it's unique to me.

3. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    It shouldn't have anything to do with your recording to DVD. I assume you are using a DVD Recorder connected to the Composite RCA out jacks. Watch the recording and see if it has any glitches anywhere, specifically where the DVD stops playing. The DVD recorder is just recording whatever is playing. Otherwise, there might be an issue with your recorder.

Also, post a list of your questions on TWC DVR things you are looking for. Some of us may know what you need.

4. SVTarHeel

Oct 20, 2010
    Winston-Sale...
    I retried the second one today (the 3 hour one). I wondered if it had something to do with the longer recordings being played back unattended, so, at about 1:45 into playback, I jumped back a few seconds. When I came back later, the DVD had successfully burned the complete recording.

This doesn't really 'prove' anything, but a quick jumpback during playback and recording will be my default for the time being. The only downside is that I often let long DVDs burn overnight and this may preclude that as an option for the future.

5. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I think that may be nothing more than superstitious behavior. All that does is sets the Presentation Time Stamp back 6 seconds, which should not have any affect on what is recorded at all; either with that or without that you have an unbroken analog video stream exiting the DVR. You should be able to start recording the DVDR and even shut the DVR off, and it should still continue to record (and not produce a coaster). I've actually done that by accident, but I am using a Philips model DVDR.

It seems as if none of your issues are actually related to the DVR, other than you say it gets "stuck", and I'm not sure what that means. Do you mean the picture freezes and stays that way? This does not sound like behavior ever reported on a HR2x, and the freeze may be on your DVD recording rather than on the DVR playback.

I would post this on the DVDR section of AVSForum, and see if the gurus there can help. It may just be an incompatibility between the recorder and the brand of discs used. It is usually important to find a brand that works well with each particular manufacturer's recorder, and stick with that. They can help you with that.

6. SVTarHeel

Oct 20, 2010
    Winston-Sale...
    The picture freezes and doesn't advance at all. The DVD keeps recording and, from the point of the frozen frame, displays that image constantly.

My assumption was the opposite of what you suggest - that the DVR was the only likely culprit. And, with the first recording (with which I made 2 coasters), it froze at a different point each time, so I discounted a recording corruption at a particular place.

If it's just an idiosyncrasy here, I can live with/work around that. I couldn't find any other reports, so I wanted to see if my situation was unique or if I was just searching incorrectly.

Thanks for the feedback.

7. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    But what does the DVR do? Without monitoring both during the failed recording, we don't know whether the freeze is on the DVR or on the DVDR.

It would probably be worth trying a recording and occasionally monitoring both the input and the output during the session. IOW, if the DVR plays back without freezing to the end of the program yet the later playback of the DVDR freezes, then that tells us something about where the problem might be.

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    When you come back to the DVR that was playing unattended, is it stuck on the frame of the playback that the DVD eventually freezes on? If not, and it looks like the DVR has played the show to completion successfully, then it could very well be an issue with the DVDR.

What you might what to end up doing is just checking in at the end of a long recording (2:25 of a 2:30 show) and see if the DVR is playing back the show correctly to the very end. Then if you play back the DVD and it freezes somewhere along the way, you know for certain that the issue is with the DVDR.

- Merg

9. Mar 8, 2011 #9 of 12
    SVTarHeel

Oct 20, 2010
    Winston-Sale...
    Thanks for all the help everyone. Merg's example above is what it seems to be doing. Often, when making a DVD, I have the TV set to the DVDR input so that I can have the selection screen up for setting the exact duration of the DVD I'm burning. I realized that I had been looking at that display when things were frozen.

In the last week, I had one freeze-up during a < 2 hour movie and happened to think to change the display. When I cycled around to the D* DVR, it was stilled on the exact same frame. Since then, I've made 2 more coasters while trying to burn a copy of 3:30 Dr. Zhivago. Every time I've thought to check the display, the DVR input has shown the same as the DVDR.

One oddity - once I hit the jump back button to see what it would do about the frozen frame. It did jump back, but from all the way at the end of the recording, so, even though the display was stuck, the recording 'played' to the end.

Other than this, the 2 machines have been virtually flawless, with only an occasional audio dropout and a rare pixelation, both less frequent than I experienced with my TWC box. I guess this is a DVR glitch but I have too much saved to think about swapping it out.

10. Trak101

Trak101 Cool Member

Dec 2, 2005
    I had this same issue. In my case I think it was an HDMI thing. My HR24 is connected by HDMI to an old 36" Sony tube 1080i TV(input 7) and by optical to an even older amp. Anyways, if I started a recording to my DVD recorder and then turned off the TV within about 5 seconds of starting, sometimes the picture would freeze and stay that way. My way around that was to start the recording, cycle the TV through its inputs back to #7 and then turn off the TV and then amp.

I figure that just turning off the TV must have interrupted the HDMI communication in such a way that caused the HR24 to hang, but cycling through the TV's inputs reset the communication when it got back to #7, so when I then turned off the TV the HR24 could deal with it.

BUT, just to be sure everything is kosher, I turn off the TV first and leave the amp on for a few seconds to make sure that the HR24 isn't freezing up.

Don't know if this helps, but I hope it does.

11. SVTarHeel

Oct 20, 2010
    Winston-Sale...
    Thanks so much for that info. The HR24 is the first thing I've had connected via HDMI (and there's no A/V receiver involved). Usually, I start a recording and turn the TV off so that I'm not wasting both power and MTBF 'life.' So far, the freeze up hasn't taken place until well into the recording, so I wonder if the receiver is checking to make sure the TV is on and then, if it finds it off, the messed up handshake (or whatever) freezes things? The DVR has never powered down during a freeze though.

I could always run the D* DVR to the TV via component (like the TWC DVR) and see if there's any more issue. At this point, I've made 6 or 8 coasters out of 30 or so (after probably 300+ successfully made with zero coasters when I had Time Warner) and am at the end of trying to burn anything > 2 hrs - testing via component might be worth risking a few more blank DVDs.

(Just had another thought... what if I set the HR24 up with both component and HDMI connections to the TV and set the TV's input to component when I was recording and HDMI to watch?)

Thanks again.

12. SVTarHeel

Oct 20, 2010
    Winston-Sale...
    I wanted to post a quick follow-up in case this thread is found in future searches and can help someone...

re: the 3.5 hour movie that gave me several coasters as I attempted to record it - as I was deleting it, I noticed that it was saved on my networked DVR (the one in the other room, not directly connected to the DVD recorder). I didn't notice this with the earlier movies I was trying to archive, so I can't be sure the cause was from attempting to burn a DVD from a recording on the remote DVR, but it seems likely. In fact, since I realized that scenario, I've recorded all of the movies I wanted to archive on the connected DVR and have yet to have a failed DVD burn regardless of program length.

Just FYI...