1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Played CSR Roulette and finally got what I wanted.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jtudor, Aug 24, 2011.

1. jtudor

jtudor Legend

Feb 23, 2008
    I finally bit the bullet made the upgrade call that I have been procrastinating on for several months.

Since Christmas I have replaced the SD tv's in my house with HD sets so we are not all HD ready.

I called last week and got a rep to give me an outstanding quote for the upgrade to replace the two SD reciever with one HD receiver and a second HD DVR, in addition to the WHDVR and Cinema Connection Kit, for a bottom line cost to me of $100!!! Yes including installation!! I didn't even have to play CSR Roulette! (A DTV Salesperson in A local Best Buy had told me that if I called in I could get all of that for $50. I didnt believe it and my disbelief proved correct.)

I couldn't pull the trigger right then though because I needed to discuss it with my wife and make sure she agreed :grin::rolleyes:.

So Monday I called in to do the deal and the first CSR I got (even though she read the notes on my account from the first CSR) would not give me the same deal. She wanted $199 for it. She said ther ewas no way she could give me that deal and had no idea how the original CSR came up with it. I hung up and called in again.

This time I got someone who would give me the deal and we were just getting started when my cell phone dropped the call!#$@#!%@##!!!:mad:

Again I called back and got another rep who gave me the same deal and just when we got to the part where she reads you the terms, the call dropped again!

Fourth call, the rep had to get supervisor approval based ont eh notes from the original call, but she gave me the deal and we completed the transaction. When she was transferring me to the "Third Party Verification" I got cut off and had to call back, but I had the order number and when I got a rep, I told her what happened and was transferred to the TPV person and got that done.

So Sept. 1, I will be fully HD with the WHDVR and an I excited about it.

Does anyone have any idea what equipment I may be getting? I know it will be just a guess, but I wondered what seems to be the most often installed receivers and DVR's now?

I am also hoping that I can talk the installer into changing my current DVR to an identical model of the new one because I have the audio pop and loss after pause, that another thread of mine seems to isolate to that model.

I still wish, Like many others that DTV would get thier CSR act together and have all of them on the same page.

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    HD DVR could be any of the HR2x series units, and the receiver could be any H2x other than H20. Chances are you'll get an HR24 for the DVR.

I doubt the installer will be able to replace your existing DVR, but it certainly won't hurt to a$k.

3. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Glad to hear that you got what you wanted, but I'd sure look into the cellphone dropping calls issue.

4. davez

davez AllStar

Nov 19, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Good to hear it worked out for you but, if I was you, I would be looking into my cell phone coverage.

5. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I had a tech out a while back (for what, I don't remember), and in passing I mentioned how much I preferred the HR24 to my old (and I mean old) HR20. He went out to his truck and came back with an HR24 and swapped it out, no questions asked. I was shocked (but extremely pleased).

So the moral of the story is to always ask, worst they can say is "no". ;)

EDIT: And for some reason I feel compelled to make mention of your cell phone coverage.

6. jtudor

jtudor Legend

Feb 23, 2008
    That is one of the hardest lessons I have had to learn in life, but I have learned it well!

I plan to go by my local Verizon store today and have a chat with a friendly tech I know and see what I can find out. I know because of the merger with Alltel that they have been turning off some towers around here. One person I work with used to have 5 bars signal on his cell at home, and now has NO (ZERO) signal at his home, Verizon told him that was the reason and he got them to give him a femtocell to install at his house free, after a lot of complaining and finding the right ear to hear the complaint!

7. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    That's funny, I just got VZW to send me a femtocell gratis as well. That thing works great. Of course, I'd prefer not to need it. I got it for my office, as we all use VZW. Signal was never an issue, but 2-3 months ago that changed, and we went from 2-3 bars to 0-1 bars and some people started dropping calls. Since these were business related calls, that is unacceptable. Didn't take much convincing to get VZW to send it to me.

8. csrrocks2011

csrrocks2011 AllStar

Aug 10, 2011
    Also depends on the tier of the rep you got! Alot of "uppers" can be on mainbank and give better deals. I'm glad you got what you wanted though! Any rep would've had to honor the original deal stated in the notes, at least where I come from, shame on the second one :(

9. employee3

employee3 Legend

Aug 15, 2006
    Moral of the story - keep a landline.

10. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Better moral of the story: go with a cellphone provider that actually has a decent signal in the places you'll be using your phone the most.

Keep a landline. :lol:

11. bobvick1983

bobvick1983 Godfather

Mar 21, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I would actually rather talk on a landline when I can. I find that the clarity of cellphones (to me anyway) can still not beat a good home phone.

12. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    All your phone connection problems tell me one thing--I was smart to not ditch my landline phone, which is VoIP service, because that's still dramatically more reliable than cell phone calling. Period.

13. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I agree 101.5%!