1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

PlayOn and PlayLater

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by SayWhat?, May 4, 2013.

1. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    There are a couple of older threads here, but they're somewhat outdated.

Is anybody using this package/service? I'm curious about your thoughts on content, choice and reliability.

2. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I use PlayOn only and overall it works fine, just remember though it's SD output only.

When using it on the HR24/34/44 it usually will start a playback from a site the first try, but when using a RVU client I might have to try it a couple of times to get it to work.

3. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I used the combo for a few months. I like Playon and have a 'lifetime' license. Didn't find Playlater to be good enough to spend the extra money, though it did work as advertised.

4. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    If you have any kind of bandwidth meter, what do you see for download traffic?

5. jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    I use Playon thru both a HR34 & HR24. Primary use is to watch ESPN3 during football season and/or watch recordings that were not recorded correcting due to overrun of games during football season. You would think CBS could do better scheduling on Sundays.

I also have the lifetime package. Their iphone/ipad app work pretty good. I normally use the app to find the program then stream it thru the receiver.

6. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    I'm on lifetime for both. They're great. I stream to my Roku, 360 and the Hopper. I don't notice any bandwidth usage above and beyond what I'd get using Hulu anyway.

7. IndyMichael

IndyMichael Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2003
    Indiana
    I was going to ask the same question. We decided to cancel directv and go with Huluplus, Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming for the at least the summer. Does Playon offer more than those 3 combined and is it really only SD?