1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 3 Questions...Wireless?

Discussion in 'Gaming Fun - The Other Reality' started by Guttboy, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 2, 2008 #1 of 27
    Guttboy

Guttboy Legend

Sep 9, 2007
    Hi Everyone!

Well the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray war is over it seems and unfortunately I was one of the early adopters of the HD-DVD format:nono2: .

I am now looking at Blu Ray players and I stumbled across the PS3....well not actually stumbled:lol: ....but I have been toying with the idea of getting a game console for a bit.

What I am having a hard time finding (and yes I am using google...LOL)....is this....

The PS3 80 GB states that it has WiFi capabilities and you can use the PS3 to go online to game with it.....

If I have a wireless router in my home that accesses the internet from my laptop would I be able to do the same thing with the PS3 80 GB? Would I have to purchase more hardware?

Additionally, it seems as though you can upload movies and pictures....could you also use wireless to do this????

Any other Pro/Cons of the PS3 would be appreciated...I have an extensive Standard DVD collection so I believe that the PS3 (as I have read) will upconvert....have any of you had any problems with this????

Thanks a bunch!!!!

:)

PS....might be tough to sell to the wife but if she can view digital pictures on our big screens then I may be in luck!

2. Mar 2, 2008 #2 of 27
    davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I have been pondering the same move as you and I think you asked all of my questions for me, thnaks. These guys will have some good advice.

3. Mar 2, 2008 #3 of 27
    Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    No additional hardware will be needed to connect the unit wireless to your wireless router. The unit has built in wireless.

You are able to stream music and photo's from your PC to the PS3 to be able to view on your TV.

You may want to consider buying the Blu-ray remote for the unit. It cost $25.

4. Mar 2, 2008 #4 of 27
    Guttboy

Guttboy Legend

Sep 9, 2007
    Mike,

Thanks for the quick response! I assume that there is a tech paper out or manual for download that I will try again to search for....

Another question set....

My Media Rack contains all my D* stuff, amp, preamp, HD DVD, etc.....if I place the PS3 in there (it is about 20 feet from where I will view on the big screen and the LCD) can I still play the games from it there? The web says that it has a wireless controller Sixaxis I believe it is called.

Also....how long if it does work...can you expect to use the controller for (timewise)...

Thanks a bunch!

5. Mar 2, 2008 #5 of 27
    deweybroncos

deweybroncos Legend

Jun 15, 2007
    We got my son a PS3 for xmas this year.

yes he can connect and play people online wirelessly but prefers the ethernet cable.

it does play all types of standard DVD's

we have not tried uploading movies or pics

and i would recommend buying the ps3 remote for watching movies

6. Mar 2, 2008 #6 of 27
    kenn157

kenn157 Legend

Jan 22, 2007

I have the PS3 and couldn't agree more! And yes get the remote. Its more better"er LOL!

7. Mar 2, 2008 #7 of 27
    Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    The controllers I believe work up to about 30'. I may be wrong about that though. Hopefully someone knows for sure.

8. Mar 2, 2008 #8 of 27
    deweybroncos

deweybroncos Legend

Jun 15, 2007
    My son plays from 4pm to probably 9pm with some breaks on a single charge for sure.

9. Mar 2, 2008 #9 of 27
    Guttboy

Guttboy Legend

Sep 9, 2007
    Cool!!!!

Appreciate all the information!!! Now if I can convince the wife....LOL......

If the PS3 connects to the internet for gaming can it "surf" as well????

10. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    It does have a internet browser but it sucks IMO.

11. waynebtx

waynebtx Hall Of Fame

Dec 24, 2006
    Kingsville,T...
    Yes it can surf to some sites. there are a few that i have not been able to get on. Have gotten on here and read the forms with it.

12. Guttboy

Guttboy Legend

Sep 9, 2007
    WOW...that might make the purchase that much more worthwhile!

13. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    as a test one night, i took off walking down the street with it, on the phone with my wife... anytime i would give it a command, she would let me know if it received it... i got at least 70-80 feet up the street before it started cutting out... and probably 90-100 feet before it stopped working completely... so I think it's safe to say that if you're in sight of the tv, you will have absolutely no problems...

i can play a few nights a week for several weeks without charging the remote...

14. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    i agree... not the best browser ever... but having a wireless usb keyboard might make the experience more pleasant...

15. jazzyd971fm

jazzyd971fm Godfather

Sep 1, 2007

16. deweybroncos

deweybroncos Legend

Jun 15, 2007
    I did try using my Netflix "watch instantly" feature with the PS3 and couldn't get it to work.

17. Guttboy

Guttboy Legend

Sep 9, 2007
    Thanks for all the help....went to the site and saw the manuals! Looks as though I can use an optical cable to my preamp to decode the sound because my 110" screen is via a projector so the sound gets processed thru the preamp as opposed to tv speakers.....

Now if I could find a good price on one I would be in business!!!! Cheapest I have seen is $499.99 from circuit city.

18. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    The 40GB is $399 and the 80GB is $499. I have never seen any where selling them for less. Normally game consoles sell for the same price every where.

19. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Walmart gives you a tiny reduction----about a dollar or two. If you shop online using Shop Discover you can get a discount of 5-10% at Circuit City and pick it up in store. you can also get $100 if you apply for a Sony credit card.

If you are serious about web browsing you need a keyboard. I use an old USB one I have been told that several wireless models work well.

I also recommend a remote control for BD either the Sony Blue tooth one or the IR one that uses a USB dongle.

20. Guttboy

Guttboy Legend

Sep 9, 2007
    Thanks folks! Appreciate ALL the information! Our local CC has it for $499.99....we finally moved into our house permanently (aka mail sent here now) and we got some CC coupons but in the fine print they all read "Does not include consoles"....RATZ!!!!! Might have to bite the bullet!

I am going to search YouTube for some PS3 videos and see if there are any out there that illustrate the web browsing. If you all have any linkies let me know!

Again...thanks for ALL the help!!!! Might have to give up building a new gaming computer to justify the PS3 but I build a new one every 4-5 years or so and my old rig is at 5 years now.....PS3 may be in my future!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.