1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Please advise on Prot Plan Receiver Upgrade

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by rwbuck, Aug 27, 2013.

1. rwbuck

rwbuck Mentor

Sep 25, 2006
    Although I have installed all the cabling in my house and set up the whole home system, I'm looking for help with what receiver setup would be the best. Not an area I keep up to date on. I'm able to upgrade receivers thru the protection plan. Present list of receivers is:

H24-700
    HR22-100
    HR21-100
    H24-700
    HR24-500

What should I be looking at for the upgrade? What should I keep, what should I upgrade?
    Thanks in advance for helping!

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Only thing is a Genie. I'd personally get rid of the HR21, though that would require a SWM16 as you'd be over 8 tuners.

Upgrades are between classes, not in the same class so no HR24 upgrade from 21 etc.

3. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    How televisions do you have?

4. rwbuck

rwbuck Mentor

Sep 25, 2006
    I have 5 TVs. also note that I already have a SWM16.

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I'd probably drop the HR21 as well and get a Genie. It has the smallest hard drive and you'd then have 9 recording tuners as opposed to your current 6. If you really need additional recording capability, you can drop one of the H24's for the Genie, but I'd rather have speed and the H24's are pretty quick, especially compared to the HR21.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    They may require an installer to come out, but in case they don't, remember to not overload one side of your SWM.