1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please confirm what I get if I upgrade to HD

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Boston, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Boston

Boston Cool Member

Aug 28, 2006
    As I can see it is all positive, is there anything I am missing?
    Any invalid assumptions?

- Dishes and LNBs upgraded which adds EA satellites, all current programming unaffected
    - my 510 DVR will be upgraded to a HD DVR (excludes 922) remaining SD receivers unaffected
    - with HD free for life promotion, I get HD platinum for $10 more than what I pay for America top 250
    - 3 months free HBO & Showtime, 3 free movie coupons

Do larger dishes reduce rain fade?
    Am I missing any charges, assumed service call for upgrade free.

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Assuming you get switched over to EA, you'll get a new dish (Dish 1000.4) and ALL of your receivers will have to be upgraded to ViP-series receivers, as most content, including much of the SD programming, is MPEG4 encoded, and your old SD receivers won't be able to decode it.

You'll have to pay for a tech visit. $95 if you don't have the Service Plan, $15 if you do. You'll have a 2-year commitment with $15/month remaining ETF.

You'll need clear Line-of-Site for the Eastern Arc sats.

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I thought if you went with an EA setup all receivers would have to be MPEG4 capable... which means existing SD receivers (DVR or not) would have to be replaced with newer ones.

Battlezone was typing at the same time as I was...

4. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    The dishes for EA and WA (D1000.4,D1000.2) must be bigger because they are de-focused in the horizonal plane in order to service three lnb's instead of one. They were designed to achieve approximately the same signal strength as a single lnb dish, but some feel they have slightly lower signal levels.

5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    If you still want to use older SD MPEG2 equipment - you will need to keep the Dish500 as well as the new EA dish.

6. Boston

Boston Cool Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Thank you for the replies. Now appears it may not be worth it for me to take the promo to upgrade to HD.

I have a 510, 311, and 322 currently with AT250 and locals. I could sign up for the service plan and later drop it to reduce the service charge, but am not interested in ponying up for two HD receivers especially where one of the TVs connected to the 322 is not even HD.

7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    well - maybe , maybe not.

Any of the VIP MPEG4 receivers TV2 outputs are in SD only - the receiver will downgrade the HD channels to SD (and it should be the best SD you will ever see on satellite :D ) .

If you keep the Dish500 for your older receivers as well as do the Eastern Arc dish, the system will work. You'll just have the equivalent of 2 systems - one Dish 500 and one EA for HD.

8. Boston

Boston Cool Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Are you saying that I can add just one dish for the EA and keep the existing setup for the remaining receivers? My new receiver would then be separate from the switch that the rest of the receivers are working off. Then I could migrate the other receivers as needed/wanted?

Would I lose any channels on the new receiver (current switch combines 61.5,110 and 119)?

9. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    With the full EA dish - you would not not be missing anything (and gaining additional HD channels on 72.7 that you currently don't have a dish for)

And that's exactly what I''m saying - if you do the EA dish for HD now, you could then migrate the other receivers over as you can afford to, while leaving the Dish500 for the older SD receivers in the meantime.

10. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The only problem would be convincing Dish to do that; it's against business rules to have non-MPEG4 receivers on an EA account.

11. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    So boston would HAVE to replace his 3 current receivers (322, 510, and 311) with at least 2 Dual output MPEG4 receivers.
    One to replace the 322 (probably a VIP 222 /222K) with its 2 locations, and
    One to replace the 311/510 (I would assume he would want a 622/722/722K).

Or - replace each of the 510 and 311 with a VIP211, paying the $40 Hard Drive activation.

12. Boston

Boston Cool Member

Aug 28, 2006
    As I view my options, I could upgrade the 510 to a 722 which could then also replace the 311

- this would eliminate the monthly receiver fee but lock that TV to SD
    - can anyone explain the pros/cons of the 722 versus the 612 as far as their DVR capabilities (I believe those are my options)

This could still leave the issue of upgrading the 322. Any ideas on how I might negotiate a deal for an upgrade to a VIP222? Free is good, but what is the best I might expect?

Another thought, there is no need to replace any of the coax that runs between the rooms or from the satellite dishes to the receivers is there?

13. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    My experience tells me that when Dish does an EA changeover, they will provide the equipment needed to do it also. You may have to push on them a bit if you are inside contract and if it has been less than a year since you used Dish'n it up. That was my case.

But they did the antenna change and upgraded my 625 to a Vip612 for the $15 service call fee, and I had to agree to a new 2 year commit. My bill actually went down as the Vip612 is a 'solo' receiver. I never actually needed a duo to start with.

I have read of others getting more than one box replaced during these EA switchovers under the same deal.

Heck, ask for it. Worse thing that happens is they say no or give you some other offer.

14. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Call in and check, you may qualify for a 'whole home upgrade', to swap everything to EA/vip receivers. That's free with a new 24-month commitment, no install charge.

15. Boston

Boston Cool Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Trying to figure out how a complete HD makeover would work.

The two TVs connected to the 322 are both standard definition. The Vip722 specs say that TV1 output is both HD and SD and TV2 is SD. Will they both work on the Vip722?

The TV near the receiver would connect to the audio/video output on the rear of the VIP722 if I upgrade, but would the other TV still connect to the coax that it is currently connected to? (does that connect to the in-home distribution output on the back?)

16. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I believe the answer to all those question is YES.

17. Boston

Boston Cool Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Thanks for all the help. Called today and was able to get a complete upgrade for all three of my receivers to their HD equivalents just for the two year commitment.

One thing that I forgot to ask the CSR when I setup the appointment was whether I needed to supply any HDMI cables that are needed. Since I do not have any do I need to pick some up before the installers come?

18. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I would assume you will need to supply your own HDMI cables, but I would wait until after the service to get them in case I'm wrong.

19. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    HDMI cables are a crap shoot lately. I received them for my 622 and 722 but I don't believe my 612 had an included HDMI cable. I bought several from Monoprice.Com so I always have several on hand. I've made a lot of my neighbors happy when they get a new TV but no cables.

20. Boston

Boston Cool Member

Aug 28, 2006
    System was upgraded today.

Both the 612 and the 211k came with 6' HDMI cables. One was too short for my installation, but I had bought a twin pack of 12' cables at COSTCO for $40 so I was all set (COSTCO has a great return policy if I didn't need them)

Installer swapped out the existing dishes with an EA setup and got a strong signal. I am very happy with the HD quality and improved picture quality on the SD channels.

Also very happy with the improved features of the newer receivers especially the 612 over the 510.

Haven't had opportunity yet to record a program, but it is not clear how to watch one program while recording another.