1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please give me some good reasons to stay with Directv

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by priester68, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 5, 2009 #1 of 92
    priester68

priester68 AllStar

Sep 10, 2008
    Strong storm came through and blew a tree over that took my dish out. All wiring is fine. Just need a new dish mounted. Called Directv first thing because I knew the wait would be long if I waited. The CSR tried to charge us $75 to replace the dish. I told her no way and that I would cancel. Then she told me there would be some other fee if I did. I got so mad I just hung up and called Dish Network. Never signed up for service just talked about pricing. I love Directv and have never had any problems in 10 years until now. I don't want to leave Directv but I won't be treated like that from a CSR. By the way there was an empty house down the street I took a dish off of and now my service is back on. Suck on that CSR!!!!!

2. May 5, 2009 #2 of 92
    pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    "I love Directv and have never had any problems in 10 years"

3. May 5, 2009 #3 of 92
    tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    An act of God took out your dish - if you had the protection plan you wouldn't have to pay for it, but since it's clear you don't then you'll have to pay. The CSR was probably trying to offer to sign you up for the protection plan and lower your upfront cost to replace the dish while you were hanging up on him/her.

If you're happy with DirecTV in general I'd suggest making a calm decision based on your experience overall, not the fact that you didn't have insurance (protection plan) to cover the loss.

Stealing (or borrowing) the neighbor's dish is probably not something you want to advertise on the internet, as anonymous as you may think it is.

4. May 5, 2009 #4 of 92
    hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    If you are under a 2 year contract and you cancel early there is an Early Termination Fee. I'm not sure if the Protection Plan covers a tree hitting a dish, but it might. In which case having the PP would have been well worth it.

Why do you think your dish should be replaced at D*'s expense? They have to pay for the dish and the tech's labor/parts, etc. Just what was it that you wanted them to do...that wasn't clear from your post.

5. May 5, 2009 #5 of 92
    syphix

syphix Hall Of Fame

Jun 23, 2004
    I thought those "house calls" were reduced to $50...

no?

6. May 5, 2009 #6 of 92
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Your homeowner's insurance, or renter's insurance, should cover the dish being damaged by a falling tree.

7. May 5, 2009 #7 of 92
    dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    I bet any deductible would be more than a measly $75.00.

8. May 5, 2009 #8 of 92
    priester68

priester68 AllStar

Sep 10, 2008
    I thought that as I'm locked into a contract that they would have no problem replacing only the dish even though I have no protection plan. I would understand if my boxes went dead but not the dish. And the dish I got came off a house that has been empty for 6 years or more and should be leveled because its so run down.

Sorry to come across like an a-hole. The lady just struck me the wrong way. With a tree on my house and no power for 3 days I didn't want to hear about any fees. Lesson learned here. I'm signing up for protection plan right now. Thanks guys.

9. May 5, 2009 #9 of 92
    say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    You only get the 1st dish free. If you don't have the protection plan, then you pay for a replacement.

BTW, $75 is cheaper than you'd pay for a dish if you bought one yourself.

10. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Actually they are on Ebay cheaper right now. I see one for $38 another for $68 free shipping.

11. tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    For $75 they basically would be giving you the dish for free, but they still have to pay someone to install it.

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    One way to look at is if you move, they'll install a dish at the new house for free, and even give you three months of premiums. But if the dish is damaged and you need it replaced, it's $75.

13. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    True, but if there is other damage (and with a tree on his roof, I'd wager there is-I only had some limbs drop on mine form an ice storm in 2007 and got a $400 repair bill) you can throw in the cost of the service call on the claim.

14. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    Can't say I blame the thread-starter for being upset at the cost of a dish simply because of all the freebie offers that Dish and DirecTV have thrown out over the years. It makes it seem as if the equipment cost nobody nothing. (Yay double negatives!)

The way the CSRs operate I'm surprised they didn't offer to give the OP a free new dish for extending the contract another two years. :lol:

15. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Because they want to keep receiving $75+ from me every month. That's been my position all along, and it has worked out. I can understand why DirecTV would want to charge, but I always refuse to pay for anything. If they value my business, they'll do it for free. And they always have.

16. btarheel646

btarheel646 Cool Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Look I'm as cheap as anyone, but 75 bucks for a new dish and having it connected seems reasonable. I'm sorry for the situation you are in with the storm and all, but that doesn't seem bad. Hell, I just spent 75 dollars on mulch that doesn't do anything but sit in the flower beds. It doesn't provide me baseball, or football or movies and will have to be redone next year anyway.

17. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Yeah, but if there was any other damage (and it sounds like there was) then it could all be lumped into one claim.

18. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Some of the atitudes here are truly sad. No wonder most of the rest of the world thinks we're the scum of the earth, I'm beginning to agree with them. If a tree falls on my dish, its not D*'s responsibility to replace it free of charge, if a receiver breaks and I have chosen not to have the PP, then I pay the S&H. I am sure glad some of you don't live in my neighborhood.

19. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Congradulations on becomming a Felon !pride

20. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Acts of God are expressly stated as exemptions to the Protection Plan. You really should read the Protection Plan before making statements like that.

http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/DirecTV_service_contract_v4.pdf

What is Not Covered: (1) Incidental or consequential damages; (2)
    Intentional acts or criminal acts by you, damage from accident, abuse,
    misuse, introduction of foreign objects into the product, unauthorized
    product modifications or alterations, failure to follow the
    manufacturer's instructions, third-party actions (fire, collision,
    vandalism, loss, theft, etc.); (3) Accessories, including antennas; (4)
    Preventative maintenance; (5) Damage which is not reported within
    thirty (30) days after expiration of this Plan; (6) Damage to
    commercially-used products (unless this Plan has been specifically
    endorsed to cover commercial use); (7) External signal interference;
    (8) Pre-existing conditions or problems; (9) Repairs associated with
    incomplete or unsuccessful installation; (10) Any satellite dish or other
    equipment made specifically for or permanently attached to
    automobiles, recreational vehicles, including without limitation
    watercraft, aircraft, or mobile homes; (11) Television/receiver
    combinations where the repair or replacement is needed directly on the
    combo unit; (12) Components and wiring related to the computer
    service for integrated Broadband products such as Direcway and
    DirecPC; (13) DIRECTV portable devices; (14) Satellite dishes mounted
    to structures or objects that are not man-made and stationary; (15) any
    failures, or parts and/or labor costs incurred as a result of a
    manufacturers recall; (16) “Acts of God”.

To the OP, you really got DirecTV by stealing someone else's property. Nice move...That's a great way to treat people. Do you think you would be upset if someone had a flat tire and took one of your's because they were upset Michelin didn't give them a new one for free?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.