1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLEASE HELP!!! D* customer curious about E*.

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by joeyo720, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Jun 2, 2010 #1 of 97
    joeyo720

joeyo720 Mentor

May 22, 2010
    I am a d* customer and was wondering if there's any former d* subs here, and if so,please describe your expierience with e* as compared to d*. I have some questions too. #1 do you have to still have 2 dishes to get hd? #2 how does hd picture quality compare to d*?how does overall picture quality compare? Is it mpeg-2, or mpeg-4?#3 how does vod compare to d* vod? #4 can you add e sata external hard drive to hddvr's? Is there any apps like d* has ( scoreguide,weather,mediashare,etc....)how is the red zone channel? Do you guys have espnuhd?what are those epix channels?? Please everyone that has come to dish from dtv please give me your feedback.:)

2. Jun 2, 2010 #2 of 97
    RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Wow um. Yeah.

1. You only need one dish, depending on your location it's either a Western Arc 110/119/129 or Eastern Arc 61.5/72/77.

2. The HD picture quality is pretty much the same. Eastern Arc is all MPEG4, Western Arc is mixed.

3. VoD is apparently stellar on the new 922. Nothing to write home about with any other receiver.

4. We use USB external hard drives instead of eSATA. They also don't disable the internal drive when you plug them in.

Red Zone is great. We don't have ESPNU HD yet. EPIX is a group of movie channels run by MGM and Universal (if I recall correctly).

3. Jun 2, 2010 #3 of 97
    Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    I will only respond to your second question: Picture quality is inferior for obvious reasons.

4. Jun 2, 2010 #4 of 97
    joeyo720

joeyo720 Mentor

May 22, 2010
    thanks alot axp for replying so quickly. are you a former d* customer? im in s.e. florida near miami , so i guess i would be on eastern arc?? when u say hd quality '' PRETTY MUCH'' the same ,would u say d* is a little clearer? i have heard people say on here that dish is " HD-LITE" compared to d* so you get more vod content with the 922 than other dvr's? i dont have house phone but i have current hddvr hooked up to router via ethernet cable, could i do same with 922? do u have sd espnu?

5. Jun 2, 2010 #5 of 97
    Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    You're lots of laughs:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

6. Jun 2, 2010 #6 of 97
    joeyo720

joeyo720 Mentor

May 22, 2010
    can you please explain why you call it hd lite? why is it not a good as d* im in south east florida so i guess i would be on e. arc? ive never had dish so im not very famailliar with their system. have you had both? i appriciate all the info you have. thanks...

7. Jun 2, 2010 #7 of 97
    commodore_dude

commodore_dude AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    I had D* before E* and D* does have slightly better picture quality to me. If you're a sports fan (guess so since you asked about ESPNU HD) and your sports of choice are on FSN Florida or Sun Sports, prepare for disappointment. There are no full-time HD RSNs and many games are not available in HD even when D* and cable have them on. I've averaged one Braves game a week so far this season. If I'd known that I never would have signed the contract (I assumed that the presence of a part-time HD channel would be sufficient since D* never screwed me when they were still part-time). Other than that, the boxes are superior in almost every way, and EPIX is nice, so that's something.

8. Jun 2, 2010 #8 of 97
    RasputinAXP

Jan 23, 2008
    Wow. Paragraphs and line breaks, kiddo. Paragraphs and line breaks.

Miami is actually in an awkward situation. It's not an EA city. Miami's locals are on 110 and 119. I think it has something to do with how far south it is.

Picture quality wise they are pretty much identical because they're pretty much identical. I can't definitively say one is visibly better than the other. My buddy across the street had Direct and his HD and SD channels looked the same as mine.

Yes, we have SD ESPNU.

Yes, you get more VOD content with the 922.

9. Jun 2, 2010 #9 of 97
    joeyo720

joeyo720 Mentor

May 22, 2010
    have you had both services? is the picture quality the same? if you would could you answer some of my questions on the first post, ive never had dish so im not very famailliar with their system.im near miami so i guess i would be e. arc?? thanks.

10. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Dish Network does not provide any 1080i channels in their full resolution and they haven't in nearly three years. They are taking a resolution of 1920x1080 and reducing it to 1440x1080. Those are the facts. Let's also not forget the problems caused by their compression scheme. If you love macroblocking...you'll love Dish Network.

It's your money however...spend it however you wish. If you want superior picture quality, more full-time HD channels (and more coming this month and later in the year as well), and the best sports packages available...stick with DirecTV.

11. RasputinAXP

Jan 23, 2008
    Pixel-peeper.

12. joeyo720

joeyo720 Mentor

May 22, 2010
    hoosier, i have 720p tv's would i be able to see a diffrence, or only with 1080p sets, and for my current dtv hr-22 should i set native off and check 1080i or 720p. or native on and check everything i can? again tv is 720p, but i can check 1080i ,but not 1080p. thanks..

13. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I Like Epix. The advantage of the External USB drives is you can plug them in, move content to them and watch from there. They do not replace the internal drive like the eSATA does. I have one external drive that is mostly Christmas shows. Another one is TV shows, Still another is Movies and so on.

I'm on the EA and having everything in MPEG4 is like getting a larger hard drive in my DVR since they take up less space.

I find the picture very watchable. 32" HDTV

I also like that all my DVRs have been speedy. I can toggle between all channels,Channels I receive, and HD Only with a press of the guide button

I have my guide set to P.I.G. and to show 3 hours and 6 channels at once. In my area I can bring up the guide. type 6300 for what channel to start displaying at and see all my HD Locals for the entire primetime period. Then I hit the 24 jump button and check out the next evening, set any timers, repeat for 8 days.

14. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Not this old thing again. Picture looks great sitting 7' away from my 720p Pany plasma. With my nose against the screen, I can't see much.:D

15. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I have a 42" Sony plasma here at work, If you get to close nothing looks great due to the size of the Pixels.

Sports needed and you have patience the go DirecTV
    If you want inexpensive go Dishnetwork.

I get the the Encore movie channels at no extra charge in my top250 package. Add the all the other ones I get in HD such as the HDNet/HDNet movies, MGM, two Epix, Retroplex, indieplex, shorts and I really don't need HBO, SHowtime, Cinemax, Etc. Premiums. However nobody mentions that Dish has more channels in their premiums than DirecTV or that they keep adding new HD Channels more often or sooner then DirecTV.

16. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Funny timing...

I actually had a nice long talk yesterday with a DirecTV rep... and we both concluded that the viewing experience is pretty much the same with either Dish or DirecTV.

There are some unique channels right now to each service... and DirecTV has some sports packages like Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings that Dish is not likely to ever have... but that's about it for the channel choices.

On the hardware... it depends on what your needs are. DirecTV seems to be ahead in the MRV dept right now, but there are other features on a receiver like the Dish 922 that are nice (Sling built-in).

Price can be a wash depending on what you subscribe to... though for me Dish usually ends up being cheaper for the same channels I choose to watch.

17. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Regardless of what the native resolution of your display is...the difference can be obvious. Not everyone is so sensitive to it. I notice a difference in the overall picture quality and then macro-blocking at times as well.

You can either allow your display to scale for you (native on) or you can leave it up to the receiver to do that for you. In your case, with your display...I would set it to "native off" and check 720p only. Your HR22 will handle that just fine.

Are you out of contract or getting close to the end of it. DirecTV will surely throw a few pricing specials your way to keep you. You can pay the same or less than you would with Dish Network and get the superior product from DirecTV. Also, a lot of the Dish Network VOD is only available if you pay $200 for the ViP 922.

18. joeyo720

joeyo720 Mentor

May 22, 2010

19. joeyo720

joeyo720 Mentor

May 22, 2010
    hoosier, so you believe that 720p is a better res then selecting 1080i? the actual resolution of my tv is 1366x768, so i think it can either upscale to 1080i or downscale to 720p. so should i check 720p or 1080 i? as for dtv and dish im not saying im defenitly leaving dtv, but dish has alot of channels some hd, some sd, that i wish we had, one beeing the red zone channel since i have no reason for sticket ,but would like to get a channel everyone else gets for almost nothing.,hbo comedy,epix channels, and some other channels, even with the 30 new hd channels they have more hd channels that intrest me, and the general public. and how come no hbo vod?? its like they dont like hbo or something.anyway, thanks hoosier for ur help.

20. domingos35

domingos35 Icon

Jan 11, 2006
    dude u are a D fanboy
    dish's HD picture is just as good as DIRECTV'S
    i switched 10 months ago from Directv to Dish and i am glad i did