1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help - ERROR CODE 771A

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by JDookie, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Sep 2, 2010 #1 of 31
    JDookie

JDookie Cool Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Hi guys, I'm having an issue and need help figuring it out.

First of all, I don't have the Protection Plan, so when I called DirecTV they wanted to immediately send out a tech for $50, which I am not ultimately opposed to, but if I can figure it out on my own without having to spend the $50, I'd like to do it. Aside from the fact that they said it would be a week before a tech could even come to my house. :mad:

So here's where I'm at. Please bare with me because I'm new at this, and still learning.

Here's what I know:

I have a SWM installation with three HD DVR's (HR22-100's). There is a single line coming from the dish to my attic, which then goes to an 8-port switch. After that, three lines then go to each respective receiver, with the Power Inserter installed behind one of the receivers.

I had an issue a few months ago where I came home, and everything was out, just like now, and all I had to do was disconnect the Inserter from power for a few minutes, plug it back in, and then everything came right back up.

My wife called me last night (I work 24 hour shifts), and told me that everything was out when she got home, so I had her power cycle the inserter again, which worked yet again.

So, I get home this morning (wife is gone to work already) and everything is out AGAIN. So, I do the usual, and power cycle the inserter. Everything comes back up for about two hours, and then goes out again.......except this time, its out for good. I have power cycled the inserter several times, and its not helping anymore.

Obviously, suspecting the inserter as the culprit, I used a voltage meter to test the output, and it's reading a steady 20.3V at all points of the system. I tested it immediately at the inserter, and at both the input and output of the 8-port switch, and it all reads 20.3V.

Any ideas? I can buy a new inserter from Amazon for $12 with free 2-day shipping, which is cheaper and faster than using DirecTV's tech ($50 and a week's time).

Could this be something other than the inserter, or do you guys feel comfortable that it's the cause of my issues?

The error on all tv's is "Problem communicating with the dish (771A).

2. Sep 2, 2010 #2 of 31
    Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    So many installers/technicians on this forum, and no one has addressed your issue?

3. Sep 2, 2010 #3 of 31
    ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    771A is a new code that describes a condition where there is not enough power getting to the SWiM LNB or SWiM switch. This could be because of the PI, but more likely because of an intermittent open or short circuit in the line that gets the power to the switch. Obviously I can't see your system, but if I were there, I'd be looking for a bad connector outside.

This is not an official D* site, and there is no official D* support here.

4. Sep 2, 2010 #4 of 31
    samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Unplug everything.

At the dish there might be a barrell connecter, take it apart and check for corrosion.

Look for a ground block on the outside, do the same thing.

If those are good bypass the spliter(switch) with a barrel connector from the power supply to the dish. Plug in the power supply and that HR. Check for signal.

5. Sep 2, 2010 #5 of 31
    ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Another thought!
    Is your Power Inserter plugged into a power strip? If it's not plugged directly into the wall, do that. These things, for whatever reason, really don't like to share power with anything else. :)

6. Sep 2, 2010 #6 of 31
    JDookie

JDookie Cool Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Thank you very much for the replies. I will continue troubleshooting using the recommended procedure, and will post back.

7. Sep 2, 2010 #7 of 31
    joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    +1

AND I would add...... shake all cables and fittings trying to get a failure...then you can find the problem. Intermittent stuff can make you nuts. Check the wall outlet for loose plug. Tap on everything.

Pretty cool they made a new code for a new problem!

Joe

8. Sep 2, 2010 #8 of 31
    ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    I thought so too. Now we just need CSR's that can make some actual notes on some work orders and we'd be all set!

9. Sep 2, 2010 #9 of 31
    JDookie

JDookie Cool Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Well, the Power Inserter was originally installed in my attic and plugged directly into an outlet, but after the first time I had an issue with the PI, I thought maybe the heat was getting to it, since my attic sees 100F+ pretty much all summer long, so I moved it to one of the bedrooms, which is where it is now, and plugged into a power strip.

Just to be sure that's not an issue, I will take your advice and move some stuff around to plug it directly into the wall outlet.

10. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Heat can definitely cause issues.

It says right in the SWiM training video (believe me, I direct the classes, and I've seen it 1000 times) to make sure it's directly plugged to the wall outlet. I've also seen this in the field numerous times. Whenever the PI is plugged into a power strip or an extension cord, it always has problems providing continuous clean power to the switch. I'd bet 50/50 that's related to your issue.

11. JDookie

JDookie Cool Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Problem fixed!!......well, for now.

Even though I fully trust you (ndole_mbnd) on the being plugged directly into the outlet vs. a power strip, the PI was plugged directly into an outlet and still had issues, so even though that may be contributing, I tend to think that it wasn't the sole issue this time around because I tried both ways, and neither worked until now.

What I think was the issue:

I went outside, and saw that there was one single (outdoor) barrel connector, so I took it apart, checked it for corrosion, which it didn't have any, and then put it back together again. I even tested the voltage before and after the connector, and it was a steady 20.3V just like everywhere else.

When I came back inside, and turned everything on, the picture came right up.

I don't know what was going on with that barrel but by taking it apart and putting it back together again it made everything come back online, and I didn't have to spend a penny, let alone go without tv for a week waiting for a tech.

Thank you very much for the help. I really appreciate it. :D

Now I just hope it stays this way.

12. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    No problemo.
    Hopefully there aren't any other issues. :)

13. JDookie

JDookie Cool Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Yes, hopefully. Thanks again. You guys are great.

14. hapnin1

hapnin1 New Member

Sep 3, 2010
    If you have a service loop of cable at the dish, remove barrel connector and go straight to LNB. Outside connections will only cause additional headaches if not properly tightened and sealed.

15. Plasman

Plasman AllStar

Jan 1, 2006
    Anyone know the difference between 771 "Searching for Signal" and 771A "Problem Communicating with Dish"? I switched to a new SWM setup and am getting intermittent complete freezes on my main TV for 2 minutes or so a few times a day (no messages on screen and all I can do is change channels which reveals the channel info bar but a blank picture - no other remote buttons work). I haven't been able to figure it out. But here is a clue: during a freeze today, I quickly turned on a second TV and it has a frozen picture but with a 771A message onscreen! Both TV's resume in a minute or so at exactly the same moment. Ideas? My signals are in the 60's-90's but if dish alignment were a problem, wouldn't I get "Searching for Signal" instead?

16. sungam

sungam Legend

May 10, 2007
    771A indicates the receiver is having problems communicating with the SWiM (LNB or SWM8/16/32). The most likely cause would be that the PI is unplugged, but it could be anything that prevents or interferes with communication on the 2.3MHz control channel.

17. Plasman

Plasman AllStar

Jan 1, 2006
    Thanks. PI is plugged into wall and all connections double checked. It seems to happen more on hot days, so perhaps I have a bad SWiM LNB? I have the non-green label SWS-8 splitter but use ethernet for MRV.

18. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Isn't taking apart the barrel the same as power cycling the PI? Either way you're simply removing the voltage going to the SWiM. Hopefully it solved your problem but it seems like you just did the same thing you have been doing all along just another way.

19. spectrumsp

spectrumsp Mentor

Aug 30, 2006
    Hello everyone...

I have an H23-600 and moved it into a new building. It was working fine at it's previous location. When I attempted to start it up, I got the Error 771A. I checked all the connections and everything was fine. Tried it again...no joy. Reinstalled the old H20-100 and got a good signal/picture. Took the H23 to another location in the new building and got the Error 771A again...reinstalled the old unit and got a good picture.

We have the 5 lnb receiver without any external SWM...we have four lines coming off the antenna going to four different locations.

Could the issue be the receiver?

20. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Repeat satellite setup. It looks like the receiver thinks it is connected to an SWM LNB or multiswitch.