1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help! HD Locals Issue

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Mixer, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mixer

Mixer Hall Of Fame

Sep 28, 2006
    Installers are here and they are saying that I do not get my Local HD channel (NYC) from the 99 spotbeam. They are claiming that they come from the 110 and the 119. Therefore they are not going to adjust anything.

2. jediphish

jediphish Godfather

Dec 3, 2005
    Your locals are still MPEG2, right? The channels fromm 81-83? Those are on the 110 and 119 birds.

3. Mixer

Mixer Hall Of Fame

Sep 28, 2006
    In NYC the locals do come in two version. The ones in the 80s are the MPEG2 and we also have NBC4 CBS2 FOX5 and ABC7 and these are the MPEG4 locals. The SD locals come in on NY2 NY4 NY5 and NY7.

I called D* while the installers were here and they confirmed the spotbeam is on the 99. We then did a conference call to Direc Tech (the installers company) and the manager over there who previously told me that there was no 99 beam out here then stated that his equipment was not setup for it. They are going to call me back if there is a way around that. If not D* said that they will have to call in another compmnay possibly to handle.

I just can not believe that this is the company that does all of the installs for D* in this markey and they have not been informed that the HD Locals come from the spotbeam 99.

Frustrating.

4. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    BS.

Tell them you want the MPEG-4 Locals... not the MPEG2.

Those do come off either the 99 or the 103.
    As there are only 4 locals available in the MPEG-2... and I thinkyou have at least 5 if not 6 on the MPEG-4 side of things.

Besides... MPEG-4 is where all the future HD is going to be made.

So tell them to adjust it..... And the installer doesn't want it to believe it..

Give him this address... www.dbstalk.com and we will educate him.

5. Mixer

Mixer Hall Of Fame

Sep 28, 2006
    Thanks Earl your feedback (and the rest of the members here feeback) always makes me feel more at ease. I doubt very much that this guy would ever damage his own pride and come to the forum to be told differntly.

My signals on my 99 are very, very, low even on clear days yet most days (all but two that I have seen so far since 10/27/2006) the picture on my MPEG4 locals has been what I consider to be great! Is that possible with signal levels in the 30s and 60s?

6. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Remember... it is a digital signal. Just a bunch of 0's and 1's.
    Signal strength has nothing to do with PQ... but has everything to do with stability of the reception.

You could get 100 or 25... so long as it is stable enough for the receiver to get the signal... the picture would be identical.

7. Mixer

Mixer Hall Of Fame

Sep 28, 2006
    I know you used the 100 and 25 numbers as examples but is 25 really stable enough to guarentee a picture? I read on here that lots of people have trouble below 60. The two days I have lost picture completely was because it was overcast and the signals dropped by 1015 numbers on each of the 99 transpoders. While people living close to me on this forum Long Island NY for example had numbers in the 80s and a clear picture.

By the way thanks Earl and everyone that takes the time to read these posts and reply to the, Without this forum I would have accepted mostly anything these guys tell me when they walk in.

8. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Yes... 25 is way to low to really have a stable picture.

It should be higher then 60 at a minimum

9. O2BRich

O2BRich Legend

Nov 8, 2006
    Remember that 99 is a spot beam. So you will only have good signal for one, two maybe three transponders. If other transponders have a signal they are probably for neighboring areas. Maybe Philly or someting north and will very in strength.

10. Mixer

Mixer Hall Of Fame

Sep 28, 2006
    Most of my transponder on the 99 say NA on them. The only transponders that have signal are 1-6 and they are currently at 60 33 51 18 and 55. I think Philly gets their spotbeam from 103. Although nothing on Lyngsat sems to indicate that to be true.

11. Mixer

Mixer Hall Of Fame

Sep 28, 2006
    So I got a call from the lead trainer for the techs in this are and when I explained to him that I do in fact have signal on the 99 he agreed to come out and do the old one person stays by the dish while the other stays inside to see if the numbers get better. Should I be calling D* to request someone that can use real meters to test and point to the 99?

12. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    AFIAK, the meters don't work for 99/103, only 101, 110 and 119. The installation procedure callis for alignment using 101 (and 119 for tilt).

13. Mixer

Mixer Hall Of Fame

Sep 28, 2006
    I guess I will have to hope that they can fine tune the 101 a little better then in order to receive a better signal on 99. Thanks for the info.

The other thing that is clearly frustrating for most people in cases like this is how many days can they expect people to take off in order to be waiting for them to come and take care of these problems. i am lucky to be able to work from home when I need to but what about people who can't. If these guys can not come back out today then I will have to wait until next Friday when i can work from home again.

14. Mixer

Mixer Hall Of Fame

Sep 28, 2006
    Well as i suspected no one will be coming back out today to help get these numbers up on the 99. Good news is I have a clear picture on my HD locals. Bad news is we are expecting rain all weekend. Oh well at least it's not happening during the reurn of Prison Break or Lost :)

And the other good news is that the guy who is the trainer for all of the are techs is the one that will be coming out to fix this issue. At least i think that is good news :D

15. Mixer

Mixer Hall Of Fame

Sep 28, 2006
    I simply can not convince these guys that my locals are on the 99. The trainer that trains all of the techs in my area and his manager are here and they insist that i am getting my locals from the 119.

What can I do to convince them?

If I get my MPEG4 locals on CBS2, NBC4, FOX5, and ABC7 is that enough to say 100% that i am getting the spotbeam 99?

16. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Yes, MPEG4 locals are only on 99 or 103. Period.

Here is 99: http://www.lyngsat.com/hd/space2.html

4 New York channels come from there.

Note that this list doesn't have the more recent markets added on either 99 or 103.

Boston is also on 99.

Also, your RSN's in HD will also be off 99 or 103 (channels 96 and 97).

And they are idiots since ALL new HD will be coming from 99 or 103. They need to peak them.

17. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Do you have a 2x4 [wood] to get their attention maybe?
    Or maybe tell them you're talking about HDTV!
    Edit: From another post, the 119 SAT carries national network feeds in MPEG-2.

18. Mixer

Mixer Hall Of Fame

Sep 28, 2006
    The saga has ended. Whatever they did has given me a stronger signal on all sats even the 119 which now has mostly 60s ven on this very overcast very foggy day. My 99 even has a few transpoders in the 80s and one at 94!!!!!

Bravo to the high level techs that came out ere to solve this problem.

19. Mixer

Mixer Hall Of Fame

Sep 28, 2006
    At first this guy was trying to tell me that while some people in the region get MPEG4 locals from the 99 my zip code does not.

:sure:

Something I said worked however cause I am now back in business on this very foggy and overcast day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.