1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help. I Understand None Of This.

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by mykidsdad, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mykidsdad

mykidsdad New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    i am totally ignorant of any of this stuff. i just know i called dishnetwork and told them what i wanted and they came out and hooked it up.
    anyway, we are in the process of building a new house and will be running all my wiring soon and i had to start looking for answers. here's my problem. we are living in temporary living arrangements with a dish with 2 receivers servicing 4 TVs. there will be 6 TVs in the new house and they told me that one dish couldn't service all 6. now i am really confused after seeing the 34 and 44 switches. it looks to me like they will work fine. can i just buy one and hook it up or am i supposed to go through them? also what is the difference between dish pro and dish pro plus (i have dish pro)? i wondered how they only ran one cable to my box, now i know (separators). they are also somehow running incoming and outgoing on one cable?!?!? obviously i am way way way confused. also, can someone please tell me why i would want multiple satellite locations? i have 110 and 119 now. why do i need both of those and why would i want others? if i hook up an additional location, won't i have to sign up with DN in order to watch it? i am prefectly fine with the channels i have now, i just want to get an additional receiver and hook all 3 receivers (dual receivers - 6 TVs) into the same dish is this possible? can i just buy a receiver and switch or do i have to go through them? do i need to run coax between the 2 TVs that will be serviced together?
    i am sorry for all the questions, but this is a whole new world for me.
    Thanks in advance,
    Brad

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Currently you must have a Dish Pro Plus Twin if you have 2 dual tuner receivers using separators. Under DISH leasing policies you are at your max with 4 leased tuners(2 dual tuners) for additional tuners you need to buy the tuner and you would need a DPP44 switch to allow use of dual tuner receivers with a separator.

For the satellite question: Dish uses both the 110 and 119 satellites to broadcast basic programming. You need to see both of those satellites to get the programming package you are subscribing to. Locations such as 61.5 or 129 mostly carry HDTV channels so if you want to subscribe to that you need to see those satellites. 118.7 is becoming ethnic programming so if you wanted German programming you need the satellite it is broadcast from.

Running new wiring: Suggestion is while the walls are open run dual RG6 and a cat 5 wire to each location you want satellite at. This will try to future proof your need while you have easy access to the locations. Terminate all wires in one common place (attic, basement, laundry room etc.).

3. bairdjc

bairdjc Legend

Sep 22, 2005
    AFAIK, there is no real technological limit on the # of receivers per dish. While I'm sure that there has to be SOME limit.... it's probably not a concern for 99.999999% of all subscribers

I also agree with the wiring. It's a super PITA to run wire after the fact, so be sure to run RG6 to each room (I'd even go with at least 2 per room) and CAT5/5e/6 the same. CAT5 wire can be used for SO many things other than network/POTS so it's worth running just as future-proofing. Also, terminate everything to the same general location where your incoming services are brought in (all home runs too - no daisy chaining BS). This will make patching SOOOOOO much easier.

In ther short term it will cost more for materials (more wire) and labor (mostly because they will have to do home runs and not jack-to-jack wiring), but if you decide in a couple years (or future owners) that you'd like a speakerphone, or different TV service, or you need 2 POTS jacks in 1 room, etc etc you will be glad you had some foresight

4. mykidsdad

mykidsdad New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    okay. excellent info. i got it so far.

would you believe me if my equipment says dish pro on it. NOT plus. is that possible? i assume separators can only be used with plus.
    am i correct in assuming that 110 and 119 are both coming in on the same cable? if so, why are there two cables coming out of the dish? is that one for each receiver? just for clarification, couldn't i have only one cable coming from the dish going to a 34 (dishplus) or a 44 (dishpluspro) switch and from there on to the receivers? i'm not gonna do that, but just trying to understand.
    so i can buy my own receiver(s) and tie them in and be perfectly legal???? no way!
    okay so i need both locations for my package. i understand why.
    there is also something that looks like a splitter that is on the line on the back of the receiver. it has incoming SAT signal and outgoing (to the other TV). how is that? i noticed on the splitter there is some sort of DC pass. i am assuming there is power going to something via the RG6. is this what they are calling backfeeding?
    BTW: my dish is a 500 - i can't tell which LNBF it has.
    one receiver is a 625
    the other is a 322 (i think)
    Please keep the great info coming. Thank you so much for everything so far.
    Brad

5. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Your receivers are marked DP DishPro because that is the technology that trhey were designed for, Dish Pro Plus is a newer variant of the DP technology which gave added capabilities such as use of the separator.

If all you wanted was 110 you could run 1 line into the DP34 and it would provide that signal to 4 receivers. A key to DISH switch terminology is first number is inputs second number is outputs(DP34 is 3 inputs to 4 outputs). A DPP44 is Dish Pro Plus technology from 4 satellite locations to 4 outputs which could be 4 dual tuner receivers or 8 tuners.

What looks like a 2 way splitter is a DIPLEXER it combines the satellite frequencies and Over The Air TV signal frequencies onto 1 cable. The voltage on the cable is nominally 18volts DC to power the switches and amplifiers at the dish.

Your dish 500 has to have a DPP Twin LNBF(LNBF = low noise blockdownconverter feed):)

6. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    To use the Separator for a dual-tuner receiver, you must have a DP Plus switch. That's usually the DPP Twin, but could also be the Dish 1000.2 (both internal) or the DPP44 (external). See http://ekb.dbstalk.com/dishpro.htm
    Each receiver must have its own line from the dish or switch. With DP or legacy, that line carries one sat at a time. With DP Plus, the switch can select and re-stack any 2 connected sats.
    No. External switches need to have a direct feed from each LNB. The "34," actually DP34, is not a Plus switch - it is regular DishPro. The DPP44 is DP Plus as indicated by the 2nd P.
    Way! You can have up to 6 receivers on your account but Dish will only lease you 4 of the tuners in those receivers, which you already have (625+322=4 tuners). Beware that as you add more receivers, you increase the likelihood of an audit if they are not all hooked up to the same phone.
    DP Twin has a dp logo, DPP Twin has dpPLUS. See pictures on the TechPortal : Dish Pro page, expand the menus on the left side.

7. mykidsdad

mykidsdad New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    well, i knew it would happen sooner or later. i am totally lost.

my equipment (322, 625) says DP not DPP, but you are saying that in order to use separators, they must be DPP. can DP and DPP be mixed and matched? maybe that's where i'm losing it.
    i looked all along the cables and there are no switches (external) so i guess they are internal to something. if it is in the LNBF, then why does it say DP instead of DPP on the LNBF?
    here is the core of my confusion. all my stuff says DP, but they are using separators which shouldn't be possible unless they are DPP.
    also, the diplexer that combines OTA really gets me because what is picking up those OTA signals? i thought these splitter things were for backfeeding (whatever that is).
    now you said something about an audit. i want to be perfectly legal. i want to add a 625 to my system when we move into the house. (total of 322, 625, 625 - 6 tuners) can i legally do that with one dish if i buy this 3rd receiver on my own?
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stay with me, i promise i will get this eventually.
    Again, thank you so much.
    Brad

8. koji68

koji68 Icon

Jun 21, 2004
    Forget about all this technical stuff. Unless you really want to know, then you can read all the information here:

http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/content/tech/equipment/dish_pro.shtml

They only thing you need to know is that YES you can add another 625 but you have to buy it and pay $6 a month fee for an extra receiver.

Just call Dish when you are ready and tell them that you want to add another receiver. If the first CSR you talk to says that you can't, ask for escalation to another tech or a supervisor until you get somebody that knows what they are talking about. They will sell you the 625 and arrange for installation with whatever switches, wiring, dishes, whatever else you need. Just make sure that before the guy leaves you can do everything you want with all your TVs.

As for the audit part, just connect all the receivers to a phone line and you'll be fine. If you don't, Dish may call you and ask you to read them some numbers off the screen to prove that you still have the receivers in your house on top of being charged $6 for not having the receivers connected to a phone line.

9. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    I agree Brad just be happy to accept that you can do what you want and DISH should know what you need.

10. BillRadio

BillRadio Legend

Aug 5, 2004
    There is also a "poor man's" way of doing this. I have 2 TV's attached to the RF output of each receiver, with simple splitters, and 2 extra RF remotes (from eBay). 2 boxes, 4 receivers, 6 TV's, (2 TV's share a channel). It won't work if you want to watch 6 programs...but we don't. You still need to run the same cables, and I agree, 2 RG/6 cables (or double cable) in each wall is best.

11. jcwell8

jcwell8 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    As per the cabling, the previous gentleman was right. RG6 in all rooms, but a good idea to run CAT5. For your reciever solution, no need to be concerned with DishPRO/DishPRO Plus. You have 2 rcvrs servicing 4 tv's, so you have 2 DishPRO Plus rcvrs. You need to setup a dishmover which is free if you have your DHPP warranty. That will cover installing what you have. You will be required to purchase a DPP 44 switch cable of running 4 dual tuners servicing up to 8 tvs. DPP 44's run $199 purchase price for the kit. 322 dual tuner rcvrs $199 as well. So you'll need 1 of each so that will give you 6 tvs with equipment to run them. Dish charges $59 for each extra tv installed. So thats $118 for install fees. You'll need the separator which comes with the reciever kit, but could be responsible for purchasing diplexers(cheap), but installers usually have them for free. That's $516 total, but there you go.

12. mykidsdad

mykidsdad New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Thank you very much.
    Guess what? I admit I am an idiot. I checked my receiver again and they CLEARLY say dp Plus. Oops!
    Anyway, I got that the 322 is $199 and the switch is too, but what about a 625? I want to have DVR capability on four of the TVs. Is this possible? Will my monthly bill be any different once I buy the equipment and pay the install fees? In other words, will they charge me more every month just because I have more stuff hooked up?
    Thanks again for the great info. I appreciate the patience.
    Brad

13. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

14. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Brad call DISH and ask them your questions they have a Dishin it up promotion that may give you a discount on equipment cost. Even if you can't they will give you their costs so you can compare to other prices you get.

They have access to your account and can give you suggestions on the most economical packages/promotions for your needs. It is a free 800# it will take time and patience but it may be helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.